Make mine a Mitch (er...too late...he's a Cat!)

Remove this Banner Ad

watts vs Clark

Clark is the second forward and backup ruckman. We have Ben Reid who could play as good as a forward or even better and White who IMO is a slight down grade of Clark. We could also play Grundy, Witts or Gault who could play this role so he's not essential. It would also take away an opportunity from one of Grundy, Witts or Gault to play in the seniors. Gault might lose his list spot.
Watts imo would be a swing man with nice kicking which we need and good speed. He would be best as that third man up, maxwell type defender. He's a poor forward but he might develop with more experience and is still young. Other players who could play this role would be Reid, Keeffe and Scharenberg.

Imo we need a Watts type more than Clark. Suckling might be another who could fill the third defender with nice kicking skills type role. Kicking out of our back line is our biggest deficiency at the moment.

watts vs Clark

Clark is the second forward and backup ruckman. We have Ben Reid who could play as good as a forward or even better and White who IMO is a slight down grade of Clark. We could also play Grundy, Witts or Gault who could play this role so he's not essential. It would also take away an opportunity from one of Grundy, Witts or Gault to play in the seniors. Gault might lose his list spot.
Watts imo would be a swing man with nice kicking which we need and good speed. He would be best as that third man up, maxwell type defender. He's a poor forward but he might develop with more experience and is still young. Other players who could play this role would be Reid, Keeffe and Scharenberg.

Imo we need a Watts type more than Clark. Suckling might be another who could fill the third defender with nice kicking skills type role. Kicking out of our back line is our biggest deficiency at the moment.
Suckling will just be like Young alright when the team is up and going but when we are not you will all be calling for his head. We need Clark to free up Cloke Watts is a soft campaigner who doesn't work hard enough and from the outside looks like he does not care at all

Suckling will just be like Young alright when the team is up and going but when we are not you will all be calling for his head. We need Clark to free up Cloke Watts is a soft campaigner who doesn't work hard enough and from the outside looks like he does not care at all
We have Reid, White or an improved Grundy or Witts to take the pressure off Cloke. Who do we have to get the ball out of our back line with pin point kicking? We were close to the worst in getting it out of our back line last season. We don't need Clark. He would be a handy pick up for the right price though. We need someone with good kicking skills to get it out of our back line much more. The question is who is this player?

We have Reid, White or an improved Grundy or Witts to take the pressure off Cloke. Who do we have to get the ball out of our back line with pin point kicking? We were close to the worst in getting it out of our back line last season. We don't need Clark. He would be a handy pick up for the right price though. We need someone with good kicking skills to get it out of our back line much more. The question is who is this player?
Reid, if we recruit Clark.

watts vs Clark

Certainly we need pace and someone with skills but Watts is definitely not that player ... anyone but Watts. Leigh Mathews not that long ago summed Watts up perfectly when he said ..." Watts just looks like he doesn't enjoy the physical contact of footy.."

Certainly we need pace and someone with skills but Watts is definitely not that player ... anyone but Watts. Leigh Mathews not that long ago summed Watts up perfectly when he said ..." Watts just looks like he doesn't enjoy the physical contact of footy.."
That's fair enough. I'm more for looking for that sort of player, who can rebound and set us up out of the back line. Watts is certainly a money ball possibility. I would love for him to come to us and play some good footy with hardness. But like you said its certainly a long shot and might not even be needed for that sort of position. We certainly wouldn't be asking him to play inside mid.

And that forward line struggled this year, Reid has always been a good kick with Clark he could play CHB. We have guys like Seed, Shaz who should be back to footy mid april, Langdon and we could target a player to fill that role in the draft. There is no point getting a guy like Watts he is scared of the football

And that forward line struggled this year, Reid has always been a good kick with Clark he could play CHB. We have guys like Seed, Shaz who should be back to footy mid april, Langdon and we could target a player to fill that role in the draft. There is no point getting a guy like Watts he is scared of the football

I can see no Reason to put Clark to CHB.

Reid is an AA CHB. He be our best Option

Both Clark and Watts are high risk high reward pickups. Clark might not play a game for the rest of his career. Watts is a risk for another reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see no Reason to put Clark to CHB.

Reid is an AA CHB. He be our best Option
You misunderstood him mate. He meant with Clark in the team Reid could play CHB.

Both Clark and Watts are high risk high reward pickups. Clark might not play a game for the rest of his career. Watts is a risk for another reason.
Watts is a big risk and if we could get him cheap I would consider it but I think Clark is a better option as it provides the team with more options and lets Reid go back if needed

I am worming to the idea of trying to get both of them. Lumumba and our 2nd round pick for Watts and Clark? If our second round pick goes to Moore, (unlikely). Lumumba and our 3rd round pick and a fringe player for Clark and Watts. If somehow we can get them for only Lumumba and our 3rd rounder it would be a big win IMO.

But why did Dids go at the end because when he was no longer a brilliant player and he was just a player his lack of defensive pressure cost him.
Good and popular theory but he was as good as anyone when he came on in the PF and as good as anyone when he did get a game and was fit in his final year(s). Defensive pressure is not unimportant but we are zero chance without at least 2 more Didak types in our side because we lack pace and skill badly. There just aren't that many Pendlebury's to be snapped up at 5 and you don't get many picks 5's anyway.

Last edited:
Watts and Clark for Harry and 2nd round pick would be amazing almost to good to be true
What the hell would we do with Watts? He just isn't any good. If he was getting a game for us we'd be well outside the 8. It is well passed the time he would have made it of he was going to.

I rarely get to games but the last time I watched us play Melbourne live I made a point of watching Watts carefully. I wanted to see firsthand if he was actually "soft" or just maligned like some other players (Dale Thomas, for example, is a flog but didn't deserve to be called soft).

That day Watts openly and obviously avoided several physical contests, almost always against smaller opponents. He's an intelligent and talented footballer but I can't STAND players who shirk their physical responsibilities, particularly players of his size. Willingness to physically compete at every point of the game is just so vital to winning.

If he came to the club I'd want him on a steady diet of cement.

What the hell would we do with Watts? He just isn't any good. If he was getting a game for us we'd be well outside the 8. It is well passed the time he would have made it of he was going to.

Could play him at half back on a wing or even in the forward line

I rate his kicking which we lack I think a change of clubs would be great for him

Which year bro?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back