Do we have too many players over 30 years of age?

Remove this Banner Ad

We have the oldest list in the league by average age.

Average age is a rubbish measure.

Let’s say Pendlebury retires tomorrow and we replace him in the MSD with an 18 year old. Our average age falls significantly. Does that mean we’re better?

Is a list of median ages published anywhere? I would have thought that’d be a more useful measure.

Edit: what magpies42 said

I would be so happy for this thread to be canned as early as 10:30 on Thursday night after a big win. Realistically however, I cant see that happening.

It’s not fun to be on the roller coaster of “Are we too old?” / “Have been found out?” / “Is Fly up to it?” after a loss …

… and “Back to back baby, yeah!” after a win.

Let’s say Pendlebury retires tomorrow and we replace him in the MSD with an 18 year old. Our average age falls significantly. Does that mean we’re better?

Is a list of median ages published anywhere? I would have thought that’d be a more useful measure.

Mode is also a better measure than mean

In that table we have the most players in the “ sweet spot” age group of 24-26.

We also don’t have significantly more over 30s than a number of other teams. We are at the high end obviously and notably most of the other teams at the high end are also premiership clubs

Mode is also a better measure than mean

In that table we have the most players in the “ sweet spot” age group of 24-26.

We also don’t have significantly more over 30s than a number of other teams. We are at the high end obviously and notably most of the other teams at the high end are also premiership clubs
This shows mode figures as well (current as of today's date):
1710809883307.png

So your answer to the question in the thread title is yes? That was clearly wrong when this thread was created, given we won the flag. So if you say the answer now is yes, which of the 30 and over players should we have traded/delisted over summer?
Adams, who at the time of the original thread was still a Collingwood player.
As for the rest, none, because you don’t get much for a 30 something year old player, unless they are an out and out star.

Adams, who at the time of the original thread was still a Collingwood player.
As for the rest, none, because you don’t get much for a 30 something year old player, unless they are an out and out star.
Why did you bump the thread then if you (a) were wrong and (b) despite insisting you were right, don’t have a solution anyway?

So your answer to the question in the thread title is yes? That was clearly wrong when this thread was created, given we won the flag. So if you say the answer now is yes, which of the 30 and over players should we have traded/delisted over summer?

BF has too many posters who joined during or before 2015 with over 10,000 posts to their name.

Our list of posters is getting old and stale, we need an injection of youth.

You're someone I'd have up for trade ( along with JB1975 and Kirby ).

BF has too many posters who joined during or before 2015 with over 10,000 posts to their name.

BigFooty is trying to up my trade value. Seems to have given me a Veteran badge before I have hit 10 years.

GFY.

Kirby has become an embittered pot stirrer.

A-wipe has never been anything other than a stirrer of pots.

Without the hammer of authority, you've shown yourself to be a snarky has-been with matchstick calves.

Maybe I never fulfilled my considerable potential, but there'll always be a place for my...nup, I reckon I'm shot to sh**.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Median list age would be a more interesting stat.

I think the concern for us is the caliber of players we have over 30. It’s going to be very tough to replace Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Mitchell, WHE, Cox, Mihocek…they are either A grade clutch players or incredible value for their salary.

I would also say our bigger issue on account of our sustained success, and in the down years poor trading history, is the lack of ready made youth to step in. We have McRae and Reef, let’s closer to ready. Aside from that we don’t have much else outside of the 22.

We are in for some lean years!
You shouldn’t be concerned because none of these players are being replaced at their peak. We have youngsters with tanks, speed and athleticism etc. superior to these 30+ bodies.
What we will miss is their game day experience, and that’s why it’s so important to have them around to help develop the kids.

I dont get tha angst around discussing the age of our list. As far as I am concerned we have won. Fly took a list that was thereabouts, with lots of competition, and won a flag. That means we are miles in front already. We have a really old 23 and its a reasonable discussion whether we drop off like Geelong, who were very similar, or can we have another real ping in 24. Losing the first 2 in 24 makes it harder.

Last 10 years 4th side has either 6 or 7 losses which means in the next 21 games we can probably only drop 4 to 5 games. That means essentially we have to perform like the best side in the comp from now to make the top 4. It will be tough.

I think in relation to best 23 its helpful and that drop off isn't as marked as you may think with Pendles for an 18 yo. We played the oldest 23 of the round last week and our 23 is way older than a lot of teams

Taking out 36 yo Pendles from last week and replacing him with our youngest harry D at 18, this is the biggest age change a single player exchange could make, would only take us from the oldest 23 to the 2nd oldest 23 even though it changes the average age by 9 months. We have an old 23 and are reliant on a lot of 30 + players who play a lot of footy and key roles. They will be hard to replace and our youth is pretty poor compared to most teams. Its going to take some work to transition without a drop but we have a great team to do it.

Out of interest this is the average age of the teams best 23 that played in round 1

Collingwood 27years 10 months
Geelong 27y 6 m
Richmond 27y 0 m
Bris 26y 9 m
Melb 26y 3m
Foots 26y 3m
Port 26y 3m
Carl 26y 3m
Gold Coast 26y 0m
Syd 25y 8m
Ess 25y 8m
WCE 25y 8m
GWS 25y 5m
Freo 25y 1 m
St K 25y 1 m
Hawth 25y 1m
Adel 24y 11m
North M 23y 11m

These numbers are not everything but they do give a guide. GWS and Syd who belted us are both more than 2 years younger. THe question of how much can the younger players in the wings do when Pendles, Sidey, Brody M, Billy etc depart in the next year or 2 is a real discussion point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back