Do we have too many players over 30 years of age?

Remove this Banner Ad

You shouldn’t be concerned because none of these players are being replaced at their peak. We have youngsters with tanks, speed and athleticism etc. superior to these 30+ bodies.
What we will miss is their game day experience, and that’s why it’s so important to have them around to help develop the kids.
I think if you look at last years grand final most of those players contributed. Some were instrumental in the win, particularly Pendles, Sidey, Cox, Howe. I’m sure Mitchell wasn’t too far off. Big game players and leadership are hard to replace.

I dont get tha angst around discussing the age of our list. As far as I am concerned we have won. Fly took a list that was thereabouts, with lots of competition, and won a flag. That means we are miles in front already. We have a really old 23 and its a reasonable discussion whether we drop off like Geelong, who were very similar, or can we have another real ping in 24. Losing the first 2 in 24 makes it harder.

Last 10 years 4th side has either 6 or 7 losses which means in the next 21 games we can probably only drop 4 to 5 games. That means essentially we have to perform like the best side in the comp from now to make the top 4. It will be tough.
This thread was posted last year. The answer then was no (because we won the flag).

Bumped by the OP because we have started with two losses and he is desperate to be correct.

Do we have too many players over 30 to win the flag this year?

The answer is still no because they remain amongst our best contributors. If we don’t win the flag this year it won’t be because of our 30+ year players.

It will be because we were not good enough.

I think if you look at last years grand final most of those players contributed. Some were instrumental in the win, particularly Pendles, Sidey, Cox, Howe. I’m sure Mitchell wasn’t too far off. Big game players and leadership are hard to replace.
Except your concern was the “calibre” of our youngsters ie physical attributes and in that regard it’s not an issue as I explained.
But I do agree, experience is a completely different issue.

This thread was posted last year. The answer then was no (because we won the flag).

Bumped by the OP because we have started with two losses and he is desperate to be correct.

The answer is still no because they remain amongst our best contributors. If we don’t win the flag this year it won’t be because of our 30+ year players.

Still no sure that your arguments mean we shouldn't discuss this. We can be cheerleaders, and its fine if you want that out of the board, and just go with arguments that say we will be fine. Me I like to see the board as more discussion between people who have the same love of the side but different opinions about where we stand. You can say being the oldest 23 is a non issue and we will just regenerate as we need to but i prefer to hear a few different views.

I think in relation to best 23 its helpful and that drop off isn't as marked as you may think with Pendles for an 18 yo. We played the oldest 23 of the round last week and our 23 is way older than a lot of teams

Taking out 36 yo Pendles from last week and replacing him with our youngest harry D at 18, this is the biggest age change a single player exchange could make, would only take us from the oldest 23 to the 2nd oldest 23 even though it changes the average age by 9 months. We have an old 23 and are reliant on a lot of 30 + players who play a lot of footy and key roles. They will be hard to replace and our youth is pretty poor compared to most teams. Its going to take some work to transition without a drop but we have a great team to do it.

Out of interest this is the average age of the teams best 23 that played in round 1

Collingwood 27years 10 months
Geelong 27y 6 m
Richmond 27y 0 m
Bris 26y 9 m
Melb 26y 3m
Foots 26y 3m
Port 26y 3m
Carl 26y 3m
Gold Coast 26y 0m
Syd 25y 8m
Ess 25y 8m
WCE 25y 8m
GWS 25y 5m
Freo 25y 1 m
St K 25y 1 m
Hawth 25y 1m
Adel 24y 11m
North M 23y 11m

These numbers are not everything but they do give a guide. GWS and Syd who belted us are both more than 2 years younger. THe question of how much can the younger players in the wings do when Pendles, Sidey, Brody M, Billy etc depart in the next year or 2 is a real discussion point.

It’s also a guide that the clock is ticking loudest for Brisbane who unlike the other five oldest sides, haven’t won a flag recently.

I think in relation to best 23 its helpful and that drop off isn't as marked as you may think with Pendles for an 18 yo. We played the oldest 23 of the round last week and our 23 is way older than a lot of teams

Taking out 36 yo Pendles from last week and replacing him with our youngest harry D at 18, this is the biggest age change a single player exchange could make, would only take us from the oldest 23 to the 2nd oldest 23 even though it changes the average age by 9 months. We have an old 23 and are reliant on a lot of 30 + players who play a lot of footy and key roles. They will be hard to replace and our youth is pretty poor compared to most teams. Its going to take some work to transition without a drop but we have a great team to do it.

Out of interest this is the average age of the teams best 23 that played in round 1

Collingwood 27years 10 months
Geelong 27y 6 m
Richmond 27y 0 m
Bris 26y 9 m
Melb 26y 3m
Foots 26y 3m
Port 26y 3m
Carl 26y 3m
Gold Coast 26y 0m
Syd 25y 8m
Ess 25y 8m
WCE 25y 8m
GWS 25y 5m
Freo 25y 1 m
St K 25y 1 m
Hawth 25y 1m
Adel 24y 11m
North M 23y 11m

These numbers are not everything but they do give a guide. GWS and Syd who belted us are both more than 2 years younger. THe question of how much can the younger players in the wings do when Pendles, Sidey, Brody M, Billy etc depart in the next year or 2 is a real discussion point.

You name GWS and Syd but they have academies which is always stocking them up with talented youngsters and it’s getting worse by the year.

And could it be that the reason we mightn’t be good enough to win again is because too many of our players are aging, over 30 and past their prime?
As for being desperate to be right. That’s the pot calling the kettle black.

Still no sure that your arguments mean we shouldn't discuss this. We can be cheerleaders, and its fine if you want that out of the board, and just go with arguments that say we will be fine. Me I like to see the board as more discussion between people who have the same love of the side but different opinions about where we stand. You can say being the oldest 23 is a non issue and we will just regenerate as we need to but i prefer to hear a few different views.
Good post and I like what you say about discussions and diffferent opinions.
Sometimes it’s like you’re on a North Korean board here with lots of Kim Jong Il’s telling you what’s what.

And could it be that the reason we mightn’t be good enough to win again is because too many of our players are aging, over 30 and past their prime?
As for being desperate to be right. That’s the pot calling the kettle black.
I’ve no doubt we are good enough to win it this year. Nick will get even better.
Macrae will cement his place in the midfield.
Shooter will improve our forward line.
And, McStay will get back in time for finals.

I’ve no doubt we are good enough to win it this year. Nick will get even better.
Macrae will cement his place in the midfield.
Shooter will improve our forward line.
And, McStay will get back in time for finals.
I sincerely hope you are right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do a Meme with Scott Pendy and that campaigner from Back to The Future

I need that Book that Boof stole atm too. For the Make-a-Wish-Foundation. Go back and bet against us and Brisbane after the first two rounds. I'll be rich as *.

It'll prob come to bite us eventually. Could it be this year? Possibly. Things change and father time comes quick sometimes. We'll just have to be ready to make sure the transition goes smoothly. Which is blooding certain players.

Let's hope it holds off for 12 months when we have our bloody first rounder to use...damn shopping for players with the credit card.😩

It's going to be very difficult to manage, making the call at the right time on players. For example when the drop off comes, how many poor to average games to you give a Sidey or a Howey or even Pendles before you start making them the sub or dropping them for a game or three?

It's going to be very difficult to manage, making the call at the right time on players. For example when the drop off comes, how many poor to average games to you give a Sidey or a Howey or even Pendles before you start making them the sub or dropping them for a game or three?
Yeah, just gotta know when the time is. Don't want to become like the eagles, when they left their senior players out there who were cooked

I would imagine once the season is out of reach for finals, you will likely see some development games going into certain players at the expense of the ones playing with father time chains.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back