Marc Murphy vs Trent Cotchin, are they currently at the same level?

Would you be happy with either at your club (are they similar in ability)?

• Yes (Carlton supporter)

• Yes (neutral)

• Yes (Richmond supporter)

• No (Richmond supporter)

• No (neutral)

• No (Carlton supporter)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotchin is a very good player, but if you take away recency bias, it's Murphy comfortably who has been a gun from day one.

Before last year, Cotchin was basically choke city - it wasn't until Dustin Martin who I believe is currently the best in the comp became a one-man army terminator and dragged everyone along with him, that Cotchin had any finals success.

That this praise on Cotchin's captaincy is a recent thing. Before winning the premiership, Tiger fans were talking about Cotchin relinquishing his captaincy to hopefully regain his 2012 form. In comparison to Selwood whose leadership has never been put under the same level of criticism. In that sense, Cotchin isn't even close to the same league as Hodge, Voss, and Selwood.

Murphy OTOH is a #1 draft pick who's always been lauded as a freak (in his draft year Murphy was considered out of this world and picking him first was a no-brainer).

You'd know all this if you read my first post (the one you initially replied to), though.

Why are you comparing him to Selwood the thread is about Murphy?

All this talk about Cotchin’s leadership, Murphy is captain of his team and I don’t see anything really inspiring there. If Carlton were as big a team as Richmond has been the last few years I’m sure the media would be questioning him too, but the fact is they are irrelevant and people want to focus on relevant teams like Richmond.

Imo, Murphy is a few years older and is yet to reach the heights of Cotchin, and never will. A premiership winning captain with a Brownlow medal around his neck, Cotchin will go down as an all-time great of the Richmond Football Club and a great of the game. In 50 years time people will be saying Marc who?

Why are you comparing him to Selwood the thread is about Murphy?

All this talk about Cotchin’s leadership, Murphy is captain of his team and I don’t see anything really inspiring there. If Carlton were as big a team as Richmond has been the last few years I’m sure the media would be questioning him too, but the fact is they are irrelevant and people want to focus on relevant teams like Richmond.

Imo, Murphy is a few years older and is yet to reach the heights of Cotchin, and never will. A premiership winning captain with a Brownlow medal around his neck, Cotchin will go down as an all-time great of the Richmond Football Club and a great of the game. In 50 years time people will be saying Marc who?

Lol. You say it like it's difficult or some sort of achievement.

Back