Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys,Notre Dame
Player#4

Jobe Watson: 189cms 90kgs

Strengths:

Terrific footy brain. Much like Marcos Ambrose he has the ability to keep a cool head in heavy traffic. Terrific clean hands and user of the handball. Foot skills from the 2 reserves games I attended last year are fairly good although he does tend to drop the ball awkwardly on occasions, but as a rule he does kick it well enough. Terrific mark on the lead. Uses smarts rather than outstanding athleticism to find space. Prefers to be in close and winning the ball rather than receiving. He loves the contact which is important as he is more an in and under midfielder.

Weaknesses:

Unlike his old man, Jobe is not explosive. I don’t think he is slow its just it takes him a lot longer to hit full speed than it did for Tim. He really needs to shed some puppy fat and get in the best possible shape to help him run out a full game. That will come with another pre-season or two as he is still only 19.

Prediction for 2004:

I see Jobe splitting his time between Bendigo and Essendon. I think he needs another year of development and another big pre season before he starts to make a name for himself at the top level. He looks a likely replacement for Joey. Joe has one maybe two years left and I think Jobe will be ready to take over by then.

Player#5

James Hird: 188cms 92kgs

Strengths:

Courageous to the core. Has no regard for his own safety which is a real factor in why he misses so many games with injuries. Ice cool out on the field rarely panics when others would lose it in the same situation. Is a thinker and outsmarts his opponents more often than not. Has great endurance; to this day is one of the fittest blokes at the club. Terrific leadership qualities in terms of leading by his actions which may be a courageous act or team lifting goal. And with his words eg Damian Cupido in the final against Freo. Has terrific hands and sets up many forward thrusts and goal opportunities by giving a quick handball out of traffic to a teamate in space.

Weaknesses:

Can be exposed by somebody with good pace eg Pavlich and Clement. The fact that he can burn off so many opponents with hard running makes his lack of speed a non factor. Has trouble marking above his head these days. This used to be a real strength of his. He has gone from a marking half forward to more of a ruck rover type. His body is a real weakness. He has trouble making it through the year without injuring it somehow. Accountability well he has none….but really when your that good just let your opponent worry about you.

Prediction for 2004:

Barring injury I think James will have a very good year. I think he may spend less time in the middle if everything goes well with others stepping up. Hird gives teams problems when he goes forward. The longer we can keep him there the better it will be. Although James loves being on ball so expect to see him still have a fairly big role in there.

Jobe's "down to earth" nature would have to be a key strength. Will stand him in good stead when things get tough for him.

And his last name, although it comes with expectations, will help him in the short term. Sheeds likes the kid, the supporters want the kid to succeed. Everyone's opinions of his games are likely to be a little more rose-coloured than they would be with other players. I think he's a winner.

Time will tell.

As for the captain.... well he's just one of the Legends of the game... (and that's not a throwaway line).

Loved the crowd reaction when Jobe got near the ball in the Geelong game. If he'd had that ping at goal rather than dish off the handball i reckon it would have brought the house down if it went through.

I think Jobe will play maybe 5-6 games in the seniors, the rest for Bendigo. Will turn out to be a genuine ruck-rover but I would play him forward pocket for the time being when in the ones. Also perhaps seeing Marc Bullen taking over Joey's spot rather than Jobe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back