Marcuz's 2004 player profiles/Previews: Mark Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys,Notre Dame
Asgardian gave a quick run down on our list. Now it’s time for somebody who knows his stuff to give his view. I’m going to give a short review/preview of every listed player in numerical order as I’m currently out of work and have too much time on my hands.

Player#1

Mark Johnson 179cms 83kgs

Strengths:

Has no fear of attacking the ball or the man. Has turned himself from an AA calibre back pocket to a hard working midfielder. Has a great work ethic and a big heart. His pace over the first 10 metres is very good and he uses his ability to burst to good effect. The defensive side to his game is very good. He tackles well and also does a lot of sheperding for teamates which is a side of the game the goes unnoticed. Has a very big leap for a small man. Has some “Moorcroft” moments where he forgets he is the little man and stands on other blokes heads but he does it too many times for it to be a fluke.

Weaknesses:
For a Big bodied midfielder who loves the contact he spends too much time playing as a wingman/linkman. He a great ability to take the ball away from congestion but a lot of the times sits out of the pack waiting for the easy ball. This may have a lot to do with our lack of speed and team orders telling him to stay out. The reason I don’t like him as a linkman is that as a rule his kicking is unpredictable. Over short distances it is quite good. But he does do a JJ sometimes and blazes away which doesn’t help Lloydy at all. His temper is another facet of his game that needs to be kept in check. He can sometimes lose it and do some silly things. The game against Melbourne when he gave away an important 50 metre penalty late in the game nearly cost us. His aggression is great but needs to be controlled. Which leads me into another weakness and that is his tackling technique or lack of one. He too many times gets players high when he tackles. He would have had a few holding the ball decisions last year had he been able to correctly apply a legal tackle rather than clothesline the opposition player.

Prediction for 2004:

I see Mark continuing in his midfield role. I prefer him as a back pocket but we seem to have covered his loss pretty well with Woosha and McVeigh. I’d expect him with another big pre-season to be leaner and fitter which will help in his ability to run and run hard all day. His pace and ability to clear from traffic will be all important to give JJ a chop out and help carry our midfield group into another finals series.

Summed him up pretty well. I am also not sure about his role as a midfielder. He only averaged one more possession per game in 2003 than he did in 2002 as a back pocket. But as long as we are lacking quality options in the midfield we do need him there. Hopefully he can build on 2003 and get a bit more of the pill this year.

similar sentiments to the both of you re: MJ in midfield. Last year was obviously a midfield learning year, but he needs to get it more in '04 to justify a full-time midfield position.

Actually if MJ were to go back again, I think Welsh would be the man to come out. Welsh just seems to find the footy very easily.

MJ, Pev, Misiti and JJ will be fighting for the 3 spots in the centre IMO. One of them will miss out. Could be Misiti if Sheeds goes for the future. Could be Pev if he doesn't have a good pre-season. Could be MJ if everyone else is fit.... It'll be very interesting who spends the most time there

One of the toughest in the comp, without a doubt. Love the way he plays. Thought he was better off in the back pocket, but doesn't really matter after Welsh and McVeigh have come on well.

I think MJ may spend a bit more time resting on the bench next year as our midfield becomes stronger, to keep everybody fresh. Blokes lke he and JJ were running all day every day and by year's end it was taking it's toll.

Originally posted by whirl
similar sentiments to the both of you re: MJ in midfield. Last year was obviously a midfield learning year, but he needs to get it more in '04 to justify a full-time midfield position.

Actually if MJ were to go back again, I think Welsh would be the man to come out. Welsh just seems to find the footy very easily.

Agree. Not sure if Welshy is ready yet though (i know you're not saying he is). Another year in defence will be great for him (Welsh), especially if he is given a more attacking role while McVeigh gets the no.1 small.

MJ imo always look like a defender playing midfield - it doesn't seem to come naturally to him at all, and i worry about our pace if he's in there at the same time as Pev, JJ, Solly, McPhee etc. A couple of his kicks into the f50 this year (remember the sideways ones?!?) were just horrible.

Originally posted by Darealrath
Agree. Not sure if Welshy is ready yet though (i know you're not saying he is). Another year in defence will be great for him (Welsh), especially if he is given a more attacking role while McVeigh gets the no.1 small.

MJ imo always look like a defender playing midfield - it doesn't seem to come naturally to him at all, and i worry about our pace if he's in there at the same time as Pev, JJ, Solly, McPhee etc. A couple of his kicks into the f50 this year (remember the sideways ones?!?) were just horrible.

Hopefully the classier and quicker players can step up and take some pressure off them.

Originally posted by marcuz
With Dyson, Stanton, Winderlich and Walsh coming through i think our midfield will be strong enough to send Johnno back.

Why? he'll get better in the midfield and who's he gona replace?

Mcveigh has found a role finally and Welsh isn't ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back