Wii/U Mario Kart 8

Remove this Banner Ad

The highest selling game not called Wii Sports on the Wii returns for the Wii U.

Best racing game this side of a racing game.

Coming at some point in 2014 - probably April, which is the same time MK Wii came out.

Nintendo Network IDs

The Speaker - FlindersCat
BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! - Finding_Nino
kangle4 - kangle4
Captain Scont - MrPaj88
Quivorir - Quivorir
Premiers04 - Wiitardation
StevenwellerHFC - stevenwellerhfc
Daleks - DoctorCrow_04
Grechy - Grechy34
NarniMagic - NarniMagic
Nostradumbass - Echoes75
Danog - danog123
Ryz - Chiefer9
Upgrayedd - upgrayedd
MegaBob - MegaBob
Probitas_ - Probitas
HBK619 - HBK316
Forward Press - wiilliam
THRILLHO - gale36
Pablo_Jackson - PabloJ82
zimma - The_Mighty_Spork
Mister Carlton - Carlton45
THE411 - ricki1603
SugarShane - SugarShane85
SpaceCow - crablecakes
Donakebab - Donakebab
YouDontKnowJack - naddie80

Last edited:

Shouldn't have brought back the Underwater sections from MK7, all they do is show off some pretty underwater visuals and slow the racing down.

Aside from that, looks excellent. Crossing my fingers they learned one or two things from Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed.

Have spoke to over 30+ people on facebook who have played the four nintendo demos at best buy and basically everyone of them bar 2 people have said Mario Kart is the best game of the four. Handles well, visuals are very good and the tracks are well designed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there enough Wii U owners on this board to have a full Mario Kart MP session? :p

Hey I get 6 vs 6 in Black Ops 2 like every day.

Mind you its the same 12 people every day. srs.

Looks fantastic.

Hope it is a step up from the hugely disappointing MK Wii

Really? I had a great time on that with mates and also online.

I think that there was a bit too much of a catchup mechanism, so it felt like skill wasn't rewarded enough, but generally it was great fun... especially after a few beers.

Really? I had a great time on that with mates and also online.

I think that there was a bit too much of a catchup mechanism, so it felt like skill wasn't rewarded enough, but generally it was great fun... especially after a few beers.

It was certainly playable with mates (all MK's are), but the game had significant faults.

The increase to 12 racers meant that there was often too much going on at the one time. Also with the way power ups spawn coupled with the rubber banding there were times when it was better to be 2nd-4th going into the last lap rather than first, due to the likelihood of getting repeatedly molested by blue shells.

Other MK games hide this a lot better, but MK Wii didn't and this is why it disappointed me.

The DS game was magnificent though and I think they can bounce back.

There was a tactical way to avoid it, the invincibility star. But you have no chance of getting that if you're in first place.

If you were in last place it was pretty easy to rocket into first place with various combos of Blue Shell, Invincibility Star, Bullet Bill & the Lightning Bolt creating havoc on the track.

I just found the mix of MK Wii a bad thing.

I'd just like to point out that Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed has surpassed the Mario Kart Franchise.

Much better item balance, faster, crisper controls (which says a lot), and it's the only thing Sonic has done better than Mario in the past 15 years. Sad hardly anyone knows about it.
There was a tactical way to avoid it, the invincibility star. But you have no chance of getting that if you're in first place.
What's the point of this comment?

It was pointing out that the only way to legitimately counter the blue shells is hidden by the games conditional pick up system.

What's your issue with it.
Just seems kind of pointless to even bring that up, knowing you can't get a star when you're in first place, or even second or third. It's clear what the game wants you to do; wait for the guy in second place to come near you so the shell blows him up as well- which still makes the game extremely unbalanced.

I'm going to take another opportunity to endorse Sonic & All Stars Transformed. That game's equivalent of the Blue Shell has a bunch of wasps fly to the front of the pack, which affects everyone at the front rather than just first place, and if you're skilled, you can dodge them without losing too much speed.

I'm getting a Wii U for this game. That's how good this series is.

Besides the Blue Shells I had a tonne of fun with MK Wii.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back