Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Judging by the result, I'd be getting the "big boy" back out there quick "friggen" smart! ....or bye, bye 14'.

gives us so many alternatives during a game. Getting much better in ruck. His taps appear to be going to our midfielders advantage instead of randomly winning hit-outs. Clearance work is another crucial stat because when he does go into the ruck, he's averaging about 2 clearances.
Best 22 for me and has been since last year. Even with Vardy to return next season, The Blitz is so versatile and extremely mobile.

yeah I thought Blicavs was excellent tonight - I'm pleasantly surprised by his aggression and confidence as much as anything else; the couple of contested marks he took, he looked in complete control of the situation. He just gets better and better; I really like the look of him when he was floating around CHF tonight, and he won a couple of crucial hit-outs to advantage in the centre of the ground when the game was tight.

a while ago I considered comparing his potential 'ceiling' with that of former champion of the game from a different club, another late-comer to the code who was tall and could run all day ... but I kept my mouth shut ;) suffice to say I have literally watched Blicavs get better by the week and his value to the team is enormous; whatever he turns his hand to on-field, he applies a certain vigour and passion which has little to do with his athletic background and everything to do with his will to succeed as an AFL player.

Rapidly becoming one of my favourites at the Cats.
Tonight would of been arguably his best game for the hoops and considering it's only his 50th game since he played U14's (41st senior game with Cats) that's a pretty impressive achievement.
You can tell he is learning real quick. There was a stage there where we had the ball at CHB.
Blicavs was standing Judd in the centre and bumped him. Then took off straight up the guts. It was like judd s**t himself. Blitz put a gap on him immediately.
Never ended up getting the ball sent his way. But I loved it.

6 marks and 2 were contested tonight. Really improved this area of his game has Blitz.
Didn't realize until I checked his stats but gathered 19 touches too with 3 tackles to boot :thumbsu:
absolute ripper game tonight. Got his name in the list of best players on the AFL website but, surprisingly, they didn't give him a plug. Sigh. I guess we got it all from the Fox mob during the game, so we should be grateful.
Well done, Champ!! I loved that confident mark in the first minute of the 1st Q, then he didn't falter- but kicked truly for the Cats' first.

I'm enjoying watching his confidence grow to the stage where even in heavy traffic he will find a free player before dishing off, rather than just indiscriminately disposing of it to no one under implied pressure. This is why the MC persisted with him when many supporters were questioning his contribution to the side, because he absorbs everything. Very Harry-like, who also started a bit wobbly but got better at a rapid rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best part for me was two pronged - lived the agro from him when dealing with some opposition players. It showed me that he is getting comfortable with his position out there and feels like he belongs out there. That shows the others in the team that he's comfortable out there and even though he has played 40 odd games it doesn't mean acceptance. Now his teammates trust his presence out there and I can see him getting more involved in the play.

Also, his ball reading ability. Took a mark coming across the pack ala Reiwoldt style. Read the flight of the ball and came across and took a pearler. He went for another one later in the game and missed it but the confidence in his ability is growing.

Having a 198 cm bloke rolling all the ground that has those skills could be frightening. Not to mention he will run all day better than an elite midfielder.

Go Catters

I wonder if that troll thread on Bay 13,started by a Dawk deadbeat a couple of years ago, is still going :D
Blitz has been a great find.

It is, because I just posted on it to get it back on the front page where it belongs. :D

Unless it's propped up by posts from Geelong fans then I'd expect it would disappear again pretty quick.

You can see towards the end of the game when everyone is cooked and Blitz is still running like the game has just started. Could be one hell of a weapon with a couple more years under his belt.

I've no doubt Kersten can become an absolute champion, however he's just not there yet. Blicavs owned the last game. I'm really looking forward to watch his game next week against the dawks.

Best game he's played for sure. Every week he becomes more of a 'footballer'.
Confidence is growing, kicking is improving and his ability to mark/win the contest is on the rise.

His versatility and attributes are pretty mind-boggling for 50 odd games. Still can't believe he's had such a rapid improvement for his background.

Cheers Guthrie's dad :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back