List Mgmt. Max Holmes, Mark O’Connor, Ollie Dempsey, Shannon Neale, and Toby Conway have all inked new deals to extend their time at Kardinia Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm as optimistic as anyone else about Neale but can we really see him getting regular gametime while Hawkins, Cameron, Stanley and Blicavs are all still cemented b22 as they will be in 2023?

Could a forward line of Hawkins, Cameron and Neale, minus Rohan, work?
Watch the pressure that Neale puts on work rate wise defensively in F 50. Repeat efforts to tackle etc in VFL. Its good. Not great.. but good.

He is not or anywhere near Rohan is dont even think im suggesting that. What he does give is an excellent presence for a guy of that size... more than Tomma and Jezza IMO in the respect - thus id be wiling to try it.

Also fully recognise they'd need more small help as well as Rohan missing is a big gap

GO Cattesr

Exactly. We have no idea. It's that as much as the 'go home' factor that might have led him to only sign a one-year extension.

And the one year might have come as much from the club as from him. It's all speculation.

I doubt it.
Hawk will when end of next year hawk might retire and sav might be delisted.
We would have offered him 2025 like conway i reckon.
12 months only would have been neales camp's call.
My guess is it means one of two things:
Either his manager told him to take 12mths (rather than 3 yrs on ok money)and back himself in to get more money from us next year (knowing we will have more retirements so if he plays seniors more his price goes up)

Or he is genuinely homesick and the manager said something along the lines of 'freo cant get you out this year because they will chase jackson and they dont have the picks left over to get you out and wces cap wont open up for 12 months (more retirements then)so do 1 more year and then we will try to get you home'.

I hope its the former but i worry its the latter.

I doubt it.
Hawk will when end of next year hawk might retire and sav might be delisted.
We would have offered him 2025 like conway i reckon.
12 months only would have been neales camp's call.
My guess is it means one of two things:
Either his manager told him to take 12mths (rather than 3 yrs on ok money)and back himself in to get more money from us next year (knowing we will have more retirements so if he plays seniors more his price goes up)

Or he is genuinely homesick and the manager said something along the lines of 'freo cant get you out this year because they will chase jackson and they dont have the picks left over to get you out and wces cap wont open up for 12 months (more retirements then)so do 1 more year and then we will try to get you home'.

I hope its the former but i worry its the latter.
You are still guessing unless you was in the room when he agreed to it,

You are still guessing unless you was in the room when he agreed to it,

Didnt say i wasnt its all guesswork.
But from the clubs point of view its not in our interest to have him ooc next yr so it must be his call and those are the 2 likely obvious reasons.

Good news, though would have been happy to see Neale's extension longer than just 1 year - hopefully there's a few more years on the next extension

I read somewhere he was leaving so to hear this is good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difference is JAck lives 800 m from KP... Neale is from 3800km away...

So the threat is real IMO.

But getting him another year gives us time to work what happens next.

And they will be coming.

GO Catters
It works in our favour that WCE will be awful for the foreseeable future and Freo with the acquisition of Jackson won't have a spot for him.

If Neale's form warrants selection next year as a KPF/Ruck option, I am sure that they will be happy for Blicavs to spend more time in other roles.
Not sure Neale will be playing as a midfielder next season, which means Blicavs will be able to continue in his current midfield role

Its good news but 1yr only worries me WA will chase him again next yr.
WA or just not getting a game. If Freo bring Jackson...would I go there if I were a tall? The West Coast. Probably could go but till they shed a lot of older players is that a better option.I think id like to see a few old guys go and see them freshen up.

If he gets more games in 2023 with us ... perhaps we can hold off wa's advance

Must have confidence in Conway to sign him on to 2025.

Its a logical step given ceglar and stanley probably only have 1 year left conway is a critical future piece.

WA or just not getting a game. If Freo bring Jackson...would I go there if I were a tall? The West Coast. Probably could go but till they shed a lot of older players is that a better option.I think id like to see a few old guys go and see them freshen up.

If he gets more games in 2023 with us ... perhaps we can hold off wa's advance

End of 2023 nicnat and a few mates probably retire and spots and money open at wce.

Jackson does make things trickier at freo but lobb is ooc in 12 months and might be gone by then (and would be 31 anyway).

Lets just hope the 1 year by neale is backing himself in to get a pay bump next year and not him planning to go home.

Saying the right things at least:

SHANNON Neale says Geelong fans shouldn’t read too much into his contract extension being only one year.

The 203cm key forward was among five Cats to extend their time with the club earlier this week, with some eyebrows raised at the talented Western Australian’s deal not being longer than until the end of 2023.

However, Neale, who turns 20 on Monday, is content in the Hoops.

“I’m happy to be here for as long as it lasts; I don’t look to go anywhere else,” he said. “I think for my development, this is the best place for me.

“Having the likes of Harry Taylor, Nigel Lappin, and Hawk (Tom Hawkins) and Jez (Jeremy Cameron) on-field, I think that’s the key to my success,

“As long as those guys are here, I’ll be here as well.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back