MRP / Trib. Match Review Panel general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So we have a big game coming up this week, can the MRP find a Geelong player to suspend? Or will they wait for Freo game next week, where tradition dictates a Geelong player must be suspended.

Maybe they can pull out a rabbit of the hat with (admittedly stupid) Motlop's late tap on the back of that GWS player?

So we have a big game coming up this week, can the MRP find a Geelong player to suspend? Or will they wait for Freo game next week, where tradition dictates a Geelong player must be suspended.

Maybe they can pull out a rabbit of the hat with (admittedly stupid) Motlop's late tap on the back of that GWS player?

I honestly think people need to stop jumping at shadows. If a good chunk of our senior players hadn't been complete morons in the last couple of years (that goes for Scarlett's punch, Johnson's multiple acts of stupidity, Chapman's bump last year), they wouldn't have had anything to worry about.

Remember how Hawkins was a certainty to get suspended after the Hawthorn game, then Simpson a few weeks ago? Guess what, neither did.

There's a conspiracy board if you want to believe in unsubstantiated bullshit.

I honestly think people need to stop jumping at shadows. If a good chunk of our senior players hadn't been complete morons in the last couple of years (that goes for Scarlett's punch, Johnson's multiple acts of stupidity, Chapman's bump last year), they wouldn't have had anything to worry about.

Remember how Hawkins was a certainty to get suspended after the Hawthorn game, then Simpson a few weeks ago? Guess what, neither did.

On the grumpy pills again are we Partridge ?

Why? Because I disagree with paranoia and stupidity?

Show me evidence there's a conspiracy against Geelong at the MRP. The floor is yours.

Well you named one of them - the Chapman bump.Duryea [whatever his name is] of Hawthorn and a Sydney player did the exact same bumps around the same time last season and got nothing.Even AFL 360 ran the footage side by side and were staggered Chapman got pinged yet the others didn't,when they were so similar.

Well you named one of them - the Chapman bump.Duryea [whatever his name is] of Hawthorn and a Sydney player did the exact same bumps around the same time last season and got nothing.Even AFL 360 ran the footage side by side and were staggered Chapman got pinged yet the others didn't,when they were so similar.

Depends how you view it. My view would be a 250-game veteran should have enough brains not to leave the ground when bumping any more. Full stop. Even less towards the pointy end of the year. Especially in a knockout final.

But no, it can never be that the players were dumb. Dubious conspiracy sounds so much more palatable.

Selwood push vs Selwood.
Happens all the time- nobody gets cited.

Selwood push on Selwood when he was supposedly injured = pinged
Last week Hayden Ballantwerp decked an opponent,who was then hunched over injured and then Ballantwerp pushes him over = no penalty [got a week for the punch,but nothing for interfering with an injured player]

I don't believe in a conspiracy, I was just making the point that in several key games, we seem to lose a player - normally through own players' stupidity but occasionally through very harsh judgments.

It was a light hearted comment, I appreciate you don't do really do those but jumped in a bit eagerly there....

Last week Hayden Ballantwerp decked an opponent,who was then hunched over injured and then Ballantwerp pushes him over = no penalty [got a week for the punch,but nothing for interfering with an injured player]
The main issue that I have with Joel being cited was that the whole thing was based around "potential injury" and "potentially exacerbating an injury sustained in the clash". Push and shove happens all the time - and, after Joel's brother deliberately crunched him harder than necessary- it was certainly designed to make a statement- I felt Joel was quite within his rights to give him that little shove. The boys probably still laugh about it- Joel won the fight but his brother won the war, with the help of the MRP :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends how you view it. My view would be a 250-game veteran should have enough brains not to leave the ground when bumping any more. Full stop. Even less towards the pointy end of the year. Especially in a knockout final.

But no, it can never be that the players were dumb. Dubious conspiracy sounds so much more palatable.
Yep but whilst Chappy was a goose, that does not address his point-why doesn't another player get suspended for the same incident? I don't think there is a conspiracy. I just think the inconsistencies of the MRP are inexplicable and sometimes we are on the receiving end on their bad day.

My problem with the MRP and tribunal is that they tailor their interpretations to produce pre-determined outcomes.

Look at Kelly's suspension last year. The issue there was a fair bump with negligible incidental high contact, but the AFL quickly came to the view that bump to the body + incidental contact to the head = bump to the head. That interpretation had never been seen before and hasn't been seen since- they got their man so there was no more need for it. Nowadays the "high contact" would be deemed to be insufficient force, and rightly so.

Wasn't Robinson in trouble not long ago? Sounds like he could do with a can of "harden the F up"!
Yep -
Playing his first game back after a two-match suspension for striking Collingwood's Taylor Adams in round 15, Robinson was reported on Friday night for engaging in rough conduct against Adams in the first quarter.

My problem with the MRP and tribunal is that they tailor their interpretations to produce pre-determined outcomes.

Look at Kelly's suspension last year. The issue there was a fair bump with negligible incidental high contact, but the AFL quickly came to the view that bump to the body + incidental contact to the head = bump to the head. That interpretation had never been seen before and hasn't been seen since- they got their man so there was no more need for it. Nowadays the "high contact" would be deemed to be insufficient force, and rightly so.
Good point!
Likewise a year or two ago when Jimmy Bartel got rubbed out for a knock on his opponents shoulder when his opponent was bent down, attacking the ball, and ran into Jimmy. Gieschen told us all then that top of the shoulder was considered "high contact"... Pffft!!! You're right! They just make stuff up!

Yep -
Playing his first game back after a two-match suspension for striking Collingwood's Taylor Adams in round 15, Robinson was reported on Friday night for engaging in rough conduct against Adams in the first quarter.
Thanks cats_09
He was also the angry man who initiated contact with our runner late in the game earlier this year- when Lappin was in the wrong place ;)

I thought I was the only 1 that saw it that way,:eek: SJ and Sel both been done for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back