MRP / Trib. Match Review Panel general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So he misses Sydney but plays Freo, Carlton and Geelong, then finals :(

Will be interesting to see what Hawthorn now does because it seems the players and the club aren't happy with him, so they might have their own club enforced penalty also - never know

Deservedly so.

Man, the Hawks board will be in a lather
Yeah some clowns are already banging on about "typical hawthorn treatment etc". 4 weeks seems fair. He did himself no favours stating that he wanted to be aggressive and get on top early etc etc. Add to that his loading. There can be no real complaints.

Will be interesting to see what Hawthorn now does because it seems the players and the club aren't happy with him, so they might have their own club enforced penalty also - never know
They might give him some community service- that's what is commonly added if they aren't happy with the penalty- but I think the Hawks will be satisfied and not take it any further.

Yeah some clowns are already banging on about "typical hawthorn treatment etc". 4 weeks seems fair. He did himself no favours stating that he wanted to be aggressive and get on top early etc etc. Add to that his loading. There can be no real complaints.

Typical hawthorn treatment?? Are you sh*tting me?

They've had a blessed run at the MRP.....they're probably struggling to accept that it is possible for one of their kin to be suspended

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you pick one The AFL prosecutors wanted a minimum of 3 weeks, the points allocated due to the grading were 375, I think, then it went up to 410 with his carryovers (suspended after the 2013 GF, 3 misdemeanours in the last 3 years or something, etc. etc.)

I understand he pleaded guilty after he laid out his story - and the defence counsel wanted to have his time reduced because of that... not sure how that was because I think, going straight to the Tribunal, there was nowhere for him to initially plead guilty or not guilty.

There will be a full statement, no doubt. All we've been going on is Nathan Schmook reporting live from the hearing

Guilty of?

HAWTHORN defender Brian Lake has been found guilty of rough conduct at the Tribunal on Tuesday night and will miss four matches for a his choker hold on North Melbourne forward Drew Petrie.

Lake was sent directly to the Tribunal to answer a charge of forcefully applying his hand to Petrie's throat where there was a risk of serious injury.
He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of rough conduct – "aggressive wrestling" – and argued he was not applying pressure to Petrie's throat but rather grabbing at his opponent's jumper.

In a marathon hearing, the jury of David Neitz, Richard Loveridge and Wayne Schimmelbusch deemed his offence to be worth 410 points, inclusive of a 10 per cent loading for his bad record.

His loading and carryover really ****ed him.

From the AFL website:

"The jury took five minutes to uphold the allegation of forcefully applying his hand to Petrie's throat in circumstances where there was risk of serious injury.

Chairman Ross Howie then instructed the jury on coming to an appropriate penalty, saying it was relevant for the jury to consider Lake had pleaded guilty to an aspect of rough conduct.
"It's a measure of responsibility on his part," Howie said.

AFL counsel Woods submitted the base penalty should be 300 demerit points, with a 10 per cent loading and Lake's 37.5 carryover points taking the total to 367.5 points.
The jury took six minutes to arrive at the more severe penalty of 410 points, inclusive of Lake's 10 per cent loading for his bad record but not including his 37.5 carryover points."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-08/lake-banned-for-four

I'm not sure why the 37.5 wasn't added on (though it wouldn't have increased his penalty). It sounds like the jury didn't give much weighting, if any, to the guilty plea.

Lake also said that he had "made an effort not to make high contact for fear of giving away a free kick".

So we're meant to believe that, despite the red film behind his eyes, he had the foresight to worry about free kicks? Pfft!

Anyway, it's all over now. Just thought I'd put up some relevant info from the AFL website. Haven't seen any link to any statement from the Tribunal, though- as to the grading of the incident.

Guilty of?
misconduct unbecoming of an AFL footballer and taking the game into disreput through his actions.

My definitions not theirs…

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back