Maths re the new stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Subi NIMBYs will be happy that the stadium is being moved, no? They're getting what they wished for.

How anyone can suggest that Subi is car friendly or any easier to get into than what Burswood will be is beyond me.

Me thinks it's a bit of NOR nonsense to be honest. Park in East Perth or Rivervale/Burswood/Vic Park and walk 10-15 minutes like the majority of those who drive in do already.

The Subi NIMBYs will be happy that the stadium is being moved, no? They're getting what they wished for.

How anyone can suggest that Subi is car friendly or any easier to get into than what Burswood will be is beyond me.

Me thinks it's a bit of NOR nonsense to be honest. Park in East Perth or Rivervale/Burswood/Vic Park and walk 10-15 minutes like the majority of those who drive in do already.

Subiaco has a road network that absorbs a lot of cars, Burswood has Victoria Park Drive and the Freeway, big roads no doubt but they can't take 10,000 cars leaving all at once.

Vic Park and Burswood are a lot further away than the parking available at the moment at Subiaco. It's the "you can't do that in Perth" attitude that does my head in.

For another option for getting people out, a ferry system!

Im not sure how you can say no way. I suggest you look at the upgrades happening at Perth Station as part of the City Link project, the platforms will clear a lot quicker. Remembering that Perth station will only cater for three lines after the football, at the moment it caters for four during current matches.

In the long run other infalstructure will make Burswood the superior option.
They estimate roughly 28000 will need to come from the city via train. Trains can only leave the station at a min of one every four minutes. Over an hour period it would be impossible to service that many passengers let alone manage peak commuter traffic.

Subiaco has a road network that absorbs a lot of cars, Burswood has Victoria Park Drive and the Freeway, big roads no doubt but they can't take 10,000 cars leaving all at once.

Vic Park and Burswood are a lot further away than the parking available at the moment at Subiaco. It's the "you can't do that in Perth" attitude that does my head in.

For another option for getting people out, a ferry system!

You're right - the resistance to Burswood seems to be for the sake of resisting change in general. However, Burswood road (GO Edwards Park) on the other side of G East Hwy to the stadium site is a 10 minute walk. Likewise, parking in Burswood (Charles Paterson) Park and is a 10 minute walk and a footbridge into East Perth opens up WACA/Gloucester Park parking areas as well. More than enough to cater for the stadium's capacity. Very similar to the walk to the MCG from Richmond and CBD.
Unless you're parking at Kitchener Park, the lack of parking close to Subi enforced by subi council at the behest of residents means a 10+ minute walk for many drivers at the moment anyway.

Ferry system would be ideal but since they've inexplicably refused to use the river for mass transit thus far it probably won't be considered.

You're right - the resistance to Burswood seems to be for the sake of resisting change in general. However, Burswood road to the stadium site is a 10 minute walk. Likewise, parking in Burswood Park is a < 10 minute walk and a footbridge into East Perth opens up WACA/Gloucester Park parking areas as well. More than enough to cater for the stadium's capacity. Very similar to the walk to the MCG from Richmond and CBD.
Unless you're parking at Kitchener Park, the lack of parking close to Subi enforced by subi council at the behest of residents means a 10+ minute walk for many drivers at the moment anyway.

Ferry system would be ideal but since they've inexplicably refused to use the river for mass transit thus far it probably won't be considered.
Never been a demand for it, this is the spark Perth public needs to change their mind, could be the start of something really benificial.

Burswood should be serviced by multiple lines.

Armadale - existing
Thornlie - existing
Mandurah - via originally intended and proposed connection through to Thornlie line
Midland - transfer through Claisebrook
Clarkson - transfer through Claisebrook
Fremantle - transfer through Claisebrook

If the intention is for all bar Arm/Thorn passengers to connect through Perth and arrive at one station it will be a disaster. With a bit of forward thinking it could be extremely efficient... If you can eliminate the need for as many passengers as possible to alight in Perth and change trains you make things a lot easier.

On a side note the footbridge is cute, but it seems to link to link the ground to Gloucester Park/WACA area where there is SFA.

Burswood should be serviced by multiple lines.

Armadale - existing
Thornlie - existing
Mandurah - via originally intended and proposed connection through to Thornlie line
Midland - transfer through Claisebrook
Clarkson - transfer through Claisebrook
Fremantle - transfer through Claisebrook

If the intention is for all bar Arm/Thorn passengers to connect through Perth and arrive at one station it will be a disaster. With a bit of forward thinking it could be extremely efficient... If you can eliminate the need for as many passengers as possible to alight in Perth and change trains you make things a lot easier.

On a side note the footbridge is cute, but it seems to link to link the ground to Gloucester Park/WACA area where there is SFA.
Not SFA, parking, have you also seen the Great eastern highway upgrade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Numbers dont seem to add up. I dont mind the location but the lack of parking is going to be an issue. What if you have a commitment after and it doesnt suit to drive?

As mentioned earlier Perth is a driving city. Its difficult with a such a city that has an urban sprawl to make it anything else, the cost to have a decent public transport system, that provides regular services by bus & train is simply not justifiable (ie that runs 24 hours or close to, 7 days a week and we would need plenty more bus and train links). In order to change the mentality of the people, you need to encourage them to change (ie put the services / infrastructure in place to make the alternative attractive).

For a start, they could think about upgrading the parking at the train stations. That is a joke.

Numbers dont seem to add up. I dont mind the location but the lack of parking is going to be an issue. What if you have a commitment after and it doesnt suit to drive?

As mentioned earlier Perth is a driving city. Its difficult with a such a city that has an urban sprawl to make it anything else, the cost to have a decent public transport system, that provides regular services by bus & train is simply not justifiable (ie that runs 24 hours or close to, 7 days a week and we would need plenty more bus and train links). In order to change the mentality of the people, you need to encourage them to change (ie put the services / infrastructure in place to make the alternative attractive).

For a start, they could think about upgrading the parking at the train stations. That is a joke.

Have you even read some of the posts in this thread? Plenty of parking at Burswood itself, Vic Park, Rivervale and in town...overall more parking than Subi and all a relatively short walk

1km - seriously are you the large gent in the cheer squad. with all respect

walk 1k - that would take like 8-10 min
I don't have an issue with a 1km walk but not everyone is as fit and sprightly as me. Parking in one nowhere land and have to walk a Km or so to another nowhere land is not ideal.

A 8-10 minute walk from the heart of the city - no problem. In my experience building a stadium and then building infrastructure around it to attract people to the area doesn't work. It doesn't work at Sydney Olympic Park, it doesn't work at Football Park, and a heap of other similar scenarios around the world - it generally doesn't work. Given Belmont Park is isolated, the chances are it will be dead except when there's a game on. People want to go to established and credible cafes, restaurants, and pubs before and after the game, with a scene that is already existent outside a football crowd.

Docklands works because the infrastructure is already there - it's a 5 minute walk to 1000s of nightspots in the CBD.

This stadium needs to be built at Subiaco or somewhere closer to the city (where it would be pretty tough to find land)

Pretty sure that's what they are doing by not providing parking.

Second part contradicts the first part, building the stadium where ample parking exists or providing ample parking won't get people out of cars, perhaps they should invest money in making "alternatives attractive" rather than pouring what would be over a hundred million dollars into car parks (at the staidum or at train stations) that will be ripped up in the future to make way for development.

Demands for more parking and wider roads exists while the government invests in wider roads and more parking.

Perth is a driving city, the public transport is terrible. There is plenty of parking around Subi. Going to Burswood won't be nearly as easy.
If you're going to the city the public transport is Perth is actually pretty good. It's if you want to get anywhere else that it's s**t.

That's not really the city though. All that is is a carpark with a 1km walk to the stadium.
I don't have an issue with a 1km walk but not everyone is as fit and sprightly as me. Parking in one nowhere land and have to walk a Km or so to another nowhere land is not ideal.

A 8-10 minute walk from the heart of the city - no problem. In my experience building a stadium and then building infrastructure around it to attract people to the area doesn't work. It doesn't work at Sydney Olympic Park, it doesn't work at Football Park, and a heap of other similar scenarios around the world - it generally doesn't work. Given Belmont Park is isolated, the chances are it will be dead except when there's a game on. People want to go to established and credible cafes, restaurants, and pubs before and after the game, with a scene that is already existent outside a football crowd.

Docklands works because the infrastructure is already there - it's a 5 minute walk to 1000s of nightspots in the CBD.

This stadium needs to be built at Subiaco or somewhere closer to the city (where it would be pretty tough to find land)

The subiaco council nor it's residents deserve to have the home of football in this state at their doorstep a minute longer than necessary. They prevented subi's capacity being upgraded like it should have been in 1999 and there won't be any further problems scheduling all the night games at Burswood the league and the WAFC desire.

The only place in the CBD would be langley park and that would never be considered.

As for the subi pubs and coffee chains and their patrons, unlucky. They can go whine to the short-sighted nimbys there opposing night games and heights of stands.

"Belmont Park train station will be upgraded making it the second biggest in Perth, with six platforms expected to carry 28,000 spectators on match day"
Six platforms is second biggest? Maybe someone's counting Perth Central and Underground as one because there's only 4 in use in Central...

Drive to local train station, catch train to stadium.....

Easy in, easy out.

Having a huge amount of parking would be a mistake. Make the public transport infrastructure appropriate and it will be a great result.

I do shudder at the thought of what is about to happen to Subi ratepayers when the council no longer has their parking ticket gold mine....

The subiaco council nor it's residents deserve to have the home of football in this state at their doorstep a minute longer than necessary. They prevented subi's capacity being upgraded like it should have been in 1999 and there won't be any further problems scheduling all the night games at Burswood the league and the WAFC desire.

The only place in the CBD would be langley park and that would never be considered.

As for the subi pubs and coffee chains and their patrons, unlucky. They can go whine to the short-sighted nimbys there opposing night games and heights of stands.

I work in Subi and the pubs and coffee chains do alright enough on the 341 other days that there isn't footy at Patersons.

If there are business operating solely because of proximity to the stadium then they're doing it wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back