Opinion Matt De Boer - What to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fringe player? He's in the best 25 which means if he's fit he plays most weeks. Last year he was best 22 in a side that made the grand final. And he's part of the leadership group.

He's not best 22 so he's fringe. Like Kram said, I wouldn't expect a pick any better than about 40 for him if he did leave. Take a look at previous trades to see what kind of player you get for a better pick than that. Guys who are on the borderline of AFL selection are 3rd rounders pretty much always.

Fringe player? He's in the best 25 which means if he's fit he plays most weeks. Last year he was best 22 in a side that made the grand final. And he's part of the leadership group.

Despite that we know by now what exactly he can offer and that ultimately he's a pretty limited footballer who is going to be overtaken by Mora/Sheridan/Duffy etc starting from next year, we'll be doing exceedingly well to get anything higher than top 30 for him.

Firstly, I'd love him to stay. He's a great player, and will be back in our best 22 once the Pavs, Crowleys and McPharlaps start retiring. Watching him play as Crowls protege in the first few rounds showed some glimpses of where he could be great for us in the future.

Secondly, I think we're way undervaluing what he's worth to other clubs. We should be able to attract overs for him based off his leadership skills, not just his footy ability. You can't train that kind of on-field leadership, and teams that are struggling with attracting captains may look at him for that reason alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which would make him best 25, right? Which is what I put in my post.

Yeah, sure. Although when FYfe comes back in, he may lose his emergency position which would make him bet 26.

I guess it comes down to your definition of "fringe". I'd suggest that Suban is "fringe" as well, and he's in the 22. To me, if you're not an automatic selection, you're "fringe".

Firstly, I'd love him to stay. He'sin thea great player, and will be back in our best 22 once the Pavs, Crowleys and McPharlaps start retiring. Watching him play as Crowls protege in the first few rounds showed some glimpses of where he could be great for us in the future.

Secondly, I think we're way undervaluing what he's worth to other clubs. We should be able to attract overs for him based off his leadership skills, not just his footy ability. You can't train that kind of on-field leadership, and teams that are struggling with attracting captains may look at him for that reason alone.
I agree but whoever pointed out earlier that melb and st kilda have the first picks In the psd have rightly pointed out that we could possibly lose him for nothing. I think he's worth a second round pick but am now starting to agree with others that we might not get close to that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_Draft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_AFL_Draft

You only need to take a look at the sort of picks being swapped for players nowadays to see than a 2nd rounder is kind of unrealistic for a player like De Boer. Broughton was best 22 for us and we had to give up our own pick 60 to get pick 37 for him.

Monfries went to Port for pick 48. Mumford was in the 40's.

The few players that have been traded for a pick higher than 30 would all be certain starters in any team in the comp. The only real exception is Wellingham (lol).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_Draft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_AFL_Draft

You only need to take a look at the sort of picks being swapped for players nowadays to see than a 2nd rounder is kind of unrealistic for a player like De Boer. Broughton was best 22 for us and we had to give up our own pick 60 to get pick 37 for him.

Monfries went to Port for pick 48. Mumford was in the 40's.

The few players that have been traded for a pick higher than 30 would all be certain starters in any team in the comp. The only real exception is Wellingham (lol).

Monfries was on the cheap as he was a free agent, and port didn't want to dilute their compensation from Pearce and somebody else.

Mumford was pushed out, so GWS offered s**t and Sydney were forced to accept it.

Broughton is about the equivalent player, although Broghton did have a big back ended contract so we should get a bit more for de Boer.

My mate is a Stk supporter.. This week: "MDB is a good solid player, tough as nails, good hands, knows his limitations and good role player in and under just unlucky we have better inside mids" Gets signed by Stk: "MDB, what a hack, cant kick, one paced, glad he left us thats for sure.., you just got your Clinton Jones replacement"

I have a lot of love for MdB. I do not agree with the kicking. He had issues no doubt, but he has been good with an occasional clanger, that unless you are Mundy, Barlow, Pavlich or Walters - did I mention Fyfe and Ballantyne, then you get away with it with flashy brilliance and perhaps more technical difficulty but your have to play to your abilities.

Prove me wrong with Champion Data, but I think he will be pretty close in efficiency.

Anyway, he is clearly fringe. He gets opportunity and does his job, but others come back and he goes out. He is the Kep, Griffen, Silvagni amongst others. Although Silvagni will hold his spot now going forward. So I think he should move on to be starting 22 and give it a crack. As mentioned there are so many coming through I do not think MdB be anything but a 5-10 game player next year.

Would love to see him become awesome with more opportunity.

34 touches for peel today after warming up with freo then driving to freo at the last minute just before the game. The guy is a pro, all class and if anyone falls over will be back in our 22 when the whips are cracking. I hope we can hang onto him!!! It's guys like deboer pushing hard for a spot that keeps all the rest playing at their best to hold their spot. Great clubman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back