Matthew Panos - Jack Oatey Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck to Panos, good guy by all accounts and I hope he gets another crack at it.

Obviously with his background he can rest forward when not in the midfield, a handy little extra trick to have at AFL level with limited rotations.

38000 at the Grand Final mate. How many at the VFL Grand FInal. Also a bit harsh on Matt Fuller as hes been out with his shoulder for most of the season. He has never been a real accumalater of the ball . His strength is his kicking. Even at SANFL he didnt get much of it.
And this is the rub. For a half back flanker at AFL level to only have the ball in hand a limited amount of times in the expectation he can kick it accurately to a team mate is simply not good enough. He needs to be able to provide a lot of rebound off half back with run and carry, skills I just don't think he possesses.
If an injury has held him back, there might be hope in the 2nd year of his contract but I'm not holding my breath.

I want to see vision of Panos in the GF - intriguing. We sold a small farm to get Crameri to the club, who realistically isnt ever going to be a midfield contributer. He is a forward who works very hard, has a decent kick, and has some groundball ability.

Could Panos be a half forward like a Crameri - we know he can mark and is a deadeye dick with some forward nous - now he has added groundball gets and a (SANFL) midfielders fitness to his resume.

He might not make it as a midfielder in the AFL, but as a half forward who legitimately can take a stint in the midfield....

38000 at the Grand Final mate. How many at the VFL Grand FInal. Also a bit harsh on Matt Fuller as hes been out with his shoulder for most of the season. He has never been a real accumalater of the ball . His strength is his kicking. Even at SANFL he didnt get much of it.

To be fair, there's not a lot else to do over in Adelaide on a Sunday.

Probably not a lot to do on the other six days of the week either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody at all. I really want to see him in action. Youd have to think that a SANFL grand final would be equivalent to a normal AFL game in intensity, so to get 30 possessions and BOG, he must be doing something right.

Perhaps none of us could think outside the square and try him in another position. Who, 2 years ago would have thought he could become a very effective on-baller? (at the level).
One of the biggest knocks on him was that he was slow. This combined with his lack of height meant he had few attractions as a long term KPF.
So if we'd thought outside the square and said "hey let's use him as a slow big bodied midfielder" can you imagine the stink on BF?

All credit to Panos for reinventing his career but I don't think he's the type of midfielder we need going forward (although I admit I haven't seen any footage of him in his 2014 role). What we need are big-bodied FAST midfielders and this has been shown over and over again this year in our AFL games. The effectiveness of a player who is very quick over the first 10-15m has also been demonstrated admirably in the VFL where Jong has been the best player of our finals series and Tutt has also been very effective.

One of the biggest knocks on him was that he was slow. This combined with his lack of height meant he had few attractions as a long term KPF.
So if we'd thought outside the square and said "hey let's use him as a slow big bodied midfielder" can you imagine the stink on BF?

All credit to Panos for reinventing his career but I don't think he's the type of midfielder we need going forward (although I admit I haven't seen any footage of him in his 2014 role). What we need are big-bodied FAST midfielders and this has been shown over and over again this year in our AFL games. The effectiveness of a player who is very quick over the first 10-15m has also been demonstrated admirably in the VFL where Jong has been the best player of our finals series and Tutt has also been very effective.

I agree we are well stocked for large and/or contested ball mids who are a touch slow. However, as a non-key forward who can scrap for the ball as well as well as take his opportunities in front of goal, just maybe?

And this is the rub. For a half back flanker at AFL level to only have the ball in hand a limited amount of times in the expectation he can kick it accurately to a team mate is simply not good enough. He needs to be able to provide a lot of rebound off half back with run and carry, skills I just don't think he possesses.
If an injury has held him back, there might be hope in the 2nd year of his contract but I'm not holding my breath.
Possession counts for defenders and half backs are much higher in the afl compared to lower leagues in general.

Perhaps none of us could think outside the square and try him in another position. Who, 2 years ago would have thought he could become a very effective on-baller? (at the level).
Except when the club tried to turn him into a half back and he cracked the shits as he only wanted to be a forward.
Seems he had a change of heart. Good on him. Had he done that earlier he might still be on our list.

sanfl is s**t from what I see matt fuller do at vfl level
The same s**t players who beat the vfl by 22 points at North Port Oval this year?
SA's third consecutive win over Victoria.
Pathetic judgement based on the performance of one, possibly injured, player, apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back