Matthew Panos - Jack Oatey Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

The same s**t players who beat the vfl by 22 points at North Port Oval this year?
SA's third consecutive win over Victoria.
Pathetic judgement based on the performance of one, possibly injured, player, apparently.

Vfl is way stronger due to having 10 afl clubs listed players playing it in...sanfl has 2. do the maths

Fuller was struggling big time before he was injured

Vfl is way stronger due to having 10 afl clubs listed players playing it in...sanfl has 2. do the maths

Fuller was struggling big time before he was injured
To his credit, he was playing injured for 6 weeks or so, so he showed a fair bit of grit and determination.

An enlightened statement from the man from Werribee. Werribee? Have to look that one up.

Werribee. Its part of Wyndham City one of the fastest growing areas in Australia and often boasted as being part of the Western Bulldogs' heartland.

Get out and visit the Werribee Mansion, The National Equestrian Centre, the Open Range Zoo or maybe go to Campbells Cove for a nude swim.

Nice houses, nice people and a great place to live and bring up a family.

If you want a smart investment then buy at Werribee South, a beautiful area set to boom over the next few years.

Panos won a medal named after a man of sartorial splendour:

394089-8ecd5db4-5354-11e3-9447-447e09e048d9.jpg

If an AFL club picks Panos up next year, I hope he is inspired by the Oatey look.

On a serious note:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2700/

"While McGuinness looms as the most certain departure, Norwood’s reputation for developing mature-age talent could also result in the loss of seasoned players such as midfielder Matthew Panos and ruckman Sam Baulderstone.

Both players have been invited to the AFL’s State Screening next month, indicating there is already a level of interest from recruiting scouts.

The eye-catching performance of both players in the SANFL title decider – particularly Panos who won the Jack Oatey Medal – will also weigh heavily in their favour."

Melbourne are into him and he'll likely get picked up on their rookie list. The saints are in a similar boat. They both wanted him to attend state screenings. Dee's showed more interest though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly desperate picking up the best performed player in arguably the best league (pretty even with the VFL) outside of the AFL though, is it?
Don't agree. When we play them (VIC) its without our seconds players (AFL Listed) so hardly a real test of the talent running around. Melbourne have the most woeful record for talent spotting in the AFL.

Don't agree. When we play them (VIC) its without our seconds players (AFL Listed) so hardly a real test of the talent running around. Melbourne have the most woeful record for talent spotting in the AFL.
I guess so, but I'd still say talent wise, its a fairly similar spectrum. The Dee's obviously struggle, yeah. Here's hoping he gets a decent crack at it somewhere though.

Once or twice is luck. Half of Sydneys team are rookies and trade-ins.

I suppose you can ask why is half of Sydneys team rookies and trade-ins? Where are all their 1st and 2nd round draft picks? Well they have some, of course, but they do finish fairly high up the ladder most years since Roos started there, which makes their draft position not great, and also they do tend to trade a lot of 1st and 2nd round draft picks for proven players.

I can't back it up, but I reckon of the actual players they do draft, they do pretty well, and of the players they trade in, they do pretty well. Part of their trading success is they aren't afraid to trade top picks for proven top players.

I think I have just convinced myself that it doesn't matter if you take a 'draft a team' or 'trade a team' approach, what matters most is being able to pick good players. You can win or lose using either strategy.

** summary? if Roos, Sydney, Hawthorn or Geelong are into Panos, then maybe we should be too.

I suppose you can ask why is half of Sydneys team rookies and trade-ins? Where are all their 1st and 2nd round draft picks? Well they have some, of course, but they do finish fairly high up the ladder most years since Roos started there, which makes their draft position not great, and also they do tend to trade a lot of 1st and 2nd round draft picks for proven players.

I can't back it up, but I reckon of the actual players they do draft, they do pretty well, and of the players they trade in, they do pretty well. Part of their trading success is they aren't afraid to trade top picks for proven top players.

I think I have just convinced myself that it doesn't matter if you take a 'draft a team' or 'trade a team' approach, what matters most is being able to pick good players. You can win or lose using either strategy.

** summary? if Roos, Sydney, Hawthorn or Geelong are into Panos, then maybe we should be too.
Seems like a good and compelling hypothesis, but is too lacking in COLA paranoia and AFL-sponsored conspiracy for my complete approval. Surely it's easier to pick good players at the trade table when you have bundles of unmarked banknotes spilling out of all your pockets?

Hmmmm, they have had mixed draft success but seem to be more onto it lately. In fact, seems similar to us. Their earlier picks are rarely as good as their latter or rookie picks. Unlike us they also trade in very good players. Maybe we are turning that around a bit more now. But their recent drafts that canbe expected to have had some game time are:
2007 Vez (Gone) and Meredith (Gone)
2008 Johnston (Gone) and Hannerby
2009 they had two first rounders and drafted Rohan and Jetta. Second round Reid.
2010- Lamb (Now GWS) and Parker
2011 - Tom Mitchell and Jordan Lockyer

They have an interesting habit of trading out their former first round picks i.e. Vez, Johnston and Lamb. They do this early in their careers. Perhaps it is because they have seen enough to know they aren't going to make it, but they realise they still have some residual value from their draft position? That comes with risks of course, but maybe we should adopt a similar practice if we have similar Grant/Howard selections in the future.

Also, bringing it all back to Panos it may be worth noting their interest. But they aren't always great at recycling. Recently with Spangher and Everitt this has been shown to be the case.

Hmmmm, they have had mixed draft success but seem to be more onto it lately. In fact, seems similar to us. Their earlier picks are rarely as good as their latter or rookie picks. Unlike us they also trade in very good players. Maybe we are turning that around a bit more now. But their recent drafts that canbe expected to have had some game time are:
2007 Vez (Gone) and Meredith (Gone)
2008 Johnston (Gone) and Hannerby
2009 they had two first rounders and drafted Rohan and Jetta. Second round Reid.
2010- Lamb (Now GWS) and Parker
2011 - Tom Mitchell and Jordan Lockyer

They have an interesting habit of trading out their former first round picks i.e. Vez, Johnston and Lamb. They do this early in their careers. Perhaps it is because they have seen enough to know they aren't going to make it, but they realise they still have some residual value from their draft position? That comes with risks of course, but maybe we should adopt a similar practice if we have similar Grant/Howard selections in the future.

Also, bringing it all back to Panos it may be worth noting their interest. But they aren't always great at recycling. Recently with Spangher and Everitt this has been shown to be the case.

hmm, good point.

I reckon that (with the odd exception) good players show themselves early. (injuries may prolong this period of assessment).I reckon there is rarely any point in keeping a fit player around for 4 years, or a rookie for more than 2, if it isnt obvious that the can make it. You might miss the odd late bloomer that way, but you will more than make up for it by increasing the number of players coming through the list.

Have you got any stats on how long Sydney keeps Rookies on the list? I havent looked into it at all, but Im betting they turn it over fairly regularly.

hmm, good point.

I reckon that (with the odd exception) good players show themselves early. (injuries may prolong this period of assessment).I reckon there is rarely any point in keeping a fit player around for 4 years, or a rookie for more than 2, if it isnt obvious that the can make it. You might miss the odd late bloomer that way, but you will more than make up for it by increasing the number of players coming through the list.

Have you got any stats on how long Sydney keeps Rookies on the list? I havent looked into it at all, but Im betting they turn it over fairly regularly.
Oooooh, I don't want to look for the stats too much, but I will.

In 2009 they took Henry playfair from Geelong. He played a handful of games for them and was delisted after 3 seasons. They also took Nathan Gordon who was upgraded after 2 years before being delisted in after 2 years on the senior list in 2012. He was then picked up by Richmond after doing well in the SANFL.
They also took an international and a zone in that year who both never played. Looking onwards they had Pyke and Cunningham who did well, but otherwise didn't do that great with Rookies. As you have surmised they do turn them over quickly. Haren and Otten were both delisted after 2 seasons. (Kruger from 2010 was given 3). Jack Lynch of 2011 got 2 as well. But realistically 2 is the norm for almost all clubs I would say. We had an extraordinary period of 4 for 3 years, but if you were to go back in time I think our club would more likely be turning them over more quickly then that.

Can't believe our SA based colleagues still honestly believe SANFL standards are remotely close to VFL. Every time the Croweaters beat the VFL they wheel out the same delusion. :p
Add the 120+ (?) AFL listed players ineligible for VFL Rep footy who play weekly in the VFL. and you suggest the standard of competition week in week out is on par ? Dreaming.

On topic.... Does history reveal any treasures for recruiting previously delisted players ?

Can't believe our SA based colleagues still honestly believe SANFL standards are remotely close to VFL. Every time the Croweaters beat the VFL they wheel out the same delusion. :p
Add the 120+ (?) AFL listed players ineligible for VFL Rep footy who play weekly in the VFL. and you suggest the standard of competition week in week out is on par ? Dreaming.

On topic.... Does history reveal any treasures for recruiting previously delisted players ?
Yeah it pretty much never works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back