Toast Matty Jaensch

Remove this Banner Ad

So I was a big Matty Jaensch fan early in his career. Thought he provided something that we were in dire need of - pace, and a beautiful long kick. Loves a goal from 50, which always makes you look better than you probably are.
In the last year or 2 though, I was swayed by the overwhelming amount of hate for him, and began to agree, and focus on his weaknesses - soft, poor 1 on 1, small.
I'm now back on the MJ train, and am happy to see him playing well. I think if we can limit the amount of time he spends one out in defence with his opponent, he will do very well. I think he needs to be pushing further up the ground as a half-back/wingman rather than deep like we did to Tambling, and used to do with Mattner before he was any good.

I somewhat expected him to give it a real crack this year after an instagram picture he posted not long after the new year which had a few recent pictures collaged together (all football pics). the caption was something along the lines of "these picture are mostly of 2012 because I achieved nothing i set out to in 2013." I thought it was good to see he was obviously quite disappointed with his poor year and wanted to get more games and have more influence. I'd say he is achieving that so far

edit. it was more of a photo loop, and the caption was "2013 I achieved none of my goals, I couldn't get a kick, I spent 95% of the year pissed off, that is why 95% of my photos are from 2012! #bringon2014#howyabeen#vvvvt"

That is very pleasing to hear. We all know Jaensch as the joker/prankster and loudmouth, but it's good to know that he wants to be more than just that.

At the start of the year I thought his future had more or less been stamped, but he's going about it pretty well, and it would be even better if he stopped doing those dinky kicks sideways.

He picks the best option most of the time. Nothing worse than when the crowd yell as we kick sideways when there's two loose opposition players down the line. Like the crowd desperately want us to turn the ball over.

Jaench has been very good with his disposal as well. Not just leading our disposal count but second in disposal efficiency at the club (rutten, 37 disp, 94.6%, jaench 75 disp 93.3%). Next closest league-wide with over 50 touches is actually mackay (55 disp, 89.1%) then bob murphy (63, 88.9%)

He picks the best option most of the time. Nothing worse than when the crowd yell as we kick sideways when there's two loose opposition players down the line. Like the crowd desperately want us to turn the ball over.
Kills me every time. And they cry foul when we kick it 'straight to the bloody opposition'. unfortunately, most of our fans have no clue

Jaench has been very good with his disposal as well. Not just leading our disposal count but second in disposal efficiency at the club (rutten, 37 disp, 94.6%, jaench 75 disp 93.3%). Next closest league-wide with over 50 touches is actually mackay (55 disp, 89.1%) then bob murphy (63, 88.9%)

Would be interesting to see metres gained. Truck seems to go sideways/backwards half the time. Not surprising that his efficiency is high.

On mj, I was in the delist and pay out contract camp if he couldn't be traded. He definitely deserves his spot in our 22 at the moment though.

He and Smith have been the 2 big shining lights for this year.

Jaensch has been pretty good, but his kicking isn't as good is it's been made out to be. Smith, Kerridge, Grigg, all better kicks than Jaensch, though only Smith kicks as far.

Would be interesting to see metres gained. Truck seems to go sideways/backwards half the time. Not surprising that his efficiency is high.

On mj, I was in the delist and pay out contract camp if he couldn't be traded. He definitely deserves his spot in our 22 at the moment though.

Yep, truck is always going to have high efficiency because he does small chip kicks to people not in danger, doesnt tend to go long and risk it as much as jaenchy does. Although jaench does do chip kicks around back as well, i guess that explains why he is our leading mark taker too

Jaench has been sensational so far this year. BUT I do worry that maybe he is a player that plays well when his team is s**t but then goes missing when his team is doing good. Much like 2012. You know, like a golden turd. It's still a turd but it looks better than other turds.

Yep, truck is always going to have high efficiency because he does small chip kicks to people not in danger, doesnt tend to go long and risk it as much as jaenchy does. Although jaench does do chip kicks around back as well, i guess that explains why he is our leading mark taker too
A long kick down the line, so long as it's not a direct turnover, is also an effective disposal.

Him and Smith on the wings. We have to settle our back six. Did not see anything of the game yesterday because of work, but for a short 5 minute snippet when Pets missed the goal in the third. Have been saying for a while that MJ needs to play further up the ground. If Pets wants to play in this side we have to try him in defence. Jaensch off a wing, HFF, rotating through the middle would offer us two players capable of kicking long over the oppo players flooding back to clog the forward line.
We need to play fast and long and Smith and MJ are part of the solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive. Hope he can keep it up Dougy style. The best thing is that he has made conscious decisions that have turned things around, like Dougie did, which gives hope that it won't be temporary. He's clearly decided to take the game on. Sticks out like a sore thumb, much like Dougy last year. We could kiss goodbye to Reilly if this holds up.

2015 backline?

Brown Hartigan Laird
Jaensch Talia Henderson

Some good run and pin point kicking coming off half back there

Ellis-Yolmen or Otto off the bench

2015 backline?

Brown Hartigan Laird
Jaensch Talia Henderson

Ellis-Yolmen or Otto off the bench

I don't mind this, though Laird, Jaensch and Brown all pretty small. The first 2 are a particular worry when exposed one out deep in defence.

Of the 6 I'd put in Siggins, releasing Hendo from 3rd tall duties to be a true rebounding defender, and removing one of the smalls.

Courtesy of afc.com.au
For the second time this season, Matthew Jaensch recorded a disposal efficiency of above 90 per cent (91.3) in Adelaide’s loss to Sydney. This follows a perfect statistical game (100 per cent) against Geelong in Round One. Jaensch’s only game below 90 per cent was against Port Adelaide in Round Two, where he operated at 88.9 per cent. Jaensch is also working hard defensively, ranked equal-seventh in marks from opposition kicks.

He's had some sort of awakening.

With all of our injuries you hope some players will step up and grab an opportunity that would not normally have been presented.

Jaensch is the only player to have done this. Good on him.

A position in the 21 is now his to lose and hopefully he keeps it up. Still only played 48 games so still relatively inexperienced, but showing signs of being confident in belonging.

Maybe a season off half back to really cement that confidence and them a move further up the field in 2015

Took a great mark on Saturday. Really courageous. Looked like it hurt as well. Just look at marks of the round on the afc website or app for the mark I'm talking about.

I'm not ready to lap praise on Jaesnch yet.

It might be a confidence thing (and honestly, he's shown enough that i don't want to see him axed) but he still doesn't really take the game on just yet. However, seeing the s**t he's been playing with, it might be harsh putting this on Jaesnch's head.

Hoping that's confidence though and come round 6-7 he really begins to push towards being a gun half back flanker.

I'm not ready to lap praise on Jaesnch yet.

It might be a confidence thing (and honestly, he's shown enough that i don't want to see him axed) but he still doesn't really take the game on just yet. However, seeing the s**t he's been playing with, it might be harsh putting this on Jaesnch's head.

Hoping that's confidence though and come round 6-7 he really begins to push towards being a gun half back flanker.

I have been a huge Jaensch detractor over the years, but he is looking like an AFL quality footballer and playing well.

Is playing very loose and will be interesting to see how his form goes when he gets a bit more attention.

Also wondering whether the success of this loose HBF in the Sando reign is due to the fact that we have two of the least attacking key defenders in the league with Rutten and Talia. Most teams only carry one lumbersome defender, but we are stuck with two - we are forced to channel the ball through Reilly (2012)/Hendo(2013)/Jaensch(2014).

This thread reminds me of the Brodie Martin one in the preseason, except Jaensch actually decided to show up for the real stuff.

I'll reserve my judgement until about Round 12 I think, as I've seen Jaensch string together 4-5 decent games a couple of times before. Never 10 though. He's always back inthe SANFL by game 10. Might change this year with the staggering lack of viable options in the SANFL at present.

3 solid games in a row simply isn't enough to get me shouting from the rooftops about a guy who likely would have been delisted had we not received draft sanctions.

However, I'll give him props and say that he has definitely been our most consistent player across the 3 games so far. So well done for that MJ.

In reality that's probably more of an indictment on the rest of the playing group than it is a late bloomer bursting onto the AFL scene. But it's one of the very few 'positives' from Rounds 1-3, so carry on. :thumbsu:

great thread...finally a positive matty yent has been a gun this year and so has Brodie smith would love to see these two across half forward along with matty wright..they have guts to take the game on go for a run and kick outside 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back