Toast Matty Jaensch

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the disposal count can be misleading. At the moment the Crows are really consciously trying to move the ball out of the the back line through Jaensch because of his elite kick. As a result he gets gifted a lot of easy possessions (not to mention all the times when he kicks it to himself when kicking in). Like many others on this board I think his defensive work in a 1 on 1 contest is a massive liability and he can only really play in the back line as a loose man. I think he is better suited to a wing or HFF but wonder whether he will be able to get his hands on the ball enough to stay involved when he has to win his own possessions.

I really hope he proves he can because the attacking side of his game has been exceptional this year. With the emergence of Smith and form of Mackay an improved Jaensch on the wing will go along way to addressing the lack of silky outside run and carry the club has faced for the last few years.

Watching a rare game live on Saturday, I have to say I was impressed with Jaensch. You really only get an appreciation of the decision making under pressure that is needed when you are up close. IMO he held his own back there. And experience is golden so he should only get better. And he won his share of one on ones.

Watching a rare game live on Saturday, I have to say I was impressed with Jaensch. You really only get an appreciation of the decision making under pressure that is needed when you are up close. IMO he held his own back there. And experience is golden so he should only get better. And he won his share of one on ones.
Yes those criticising mj 1 on 1 have not being watching the 2014 version & assuming previous vintage. Hopefully he can keep it up & minimise loss of hendo.

Another solid effort today, very tight defensively too. Fast becoming one of my favourite players to watch the way he's playing

So what do people think is the driver of this form change?

Himself. Everything ive heard about him as a person is along of lines of "lives and breathes football". Hes always had the talent and has clearly worked very hard on his defensive game over the break.

Himself. Everything ive heard about him as a person is along of lines of "lives and breathes football". Hes always had the talent and has clearly worked very hard on his defensive game over the break.
He seems to have always cracked at least 10 games will be interesting to see if in his 5 th year he can play a full season.

But in terms of consistency he seems to be bucking the trend. Of development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fully fit. Last year, he was hampered by a groin injury. Possibly the year before also. Plus, he has clearly worked hard on his defensive work. He is now winning his fair share of 1-on-1s, which he definitely didn't do before. I've always liked him as a winger or HF but he's looking a lot more assured in defense now. Very pleasing because, as everyone can see, that kick of his is a weapon; and also because it makes a fool of someone who likes to use the phrase 'not AFL standard'.

You could say that.

50th game for Jaensch this week (also Thommo's 250th).

Don't players start living up to their talent around 50 games? Looks like he got there, just took him a bit longer to get to the 50 games than others.

He does look much more comfortable now and it would be easier to play (and easier to play to a higher standard) without thinking 'if I stuff this up I'm going to get dropped' and being able to concentrate on the game

Was playing really well early on in his career until he got tunnelled in the Essendon game, Bunji's 300th I think from memory. Did his shoulder I think. Has had niggles the past couple of years and would have known that this year was make or break as it was the last of his contract. Of him and Martin, he will make it, Martin now looking less likely.

A good effort to get to 50 games.

Knew him when he was a teenager growing up in the Hills and he had a lot to live up to with his old man a very good hills footballer for Hahndorf. Good all round talent, fast bowler good middle order bat and really driven to succeed. Just too much of a lad when he was younger and has taken time to mature. Hope he makes it.

About halfway through somebody (Doc Clarke?) and gives him a spray about missing the goal in the first quarter. Very funny. Rooch is being a smartarse as per usual and Jaenschy gives it straight back.

Last edited:
Gotta take my hat off to Jaenschy. Last year, I thought he looked slow, and generally lost out on the field, and I wasn't overly pleased he survived the chop at the end of the year. I'm still not completely sold on him as a defender, but the offensive side of his game has been excellent, and he looks like somebody who 100% deserves to be on an AFL list. He's been given a big opportunity to prove himself with Henderson out injured, and so far, he's taken that opportunity with both hands and is making the most of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back