Mauri/Islanders playing AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 4, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Last nights origin game made me think about why we havent seen any Mauri/Tongan/Samoans in the AFL.
Am I correct in saying that there are none currently playing? Although I believe Mal Michael is of similar descent.
Comments that guys like Folau, Inglis, Marshall, Williams would easily make the switch are unwarranted due to the difficulty in learning a whole new game. However, if these same guys took up AFL as 10 year olds it would be a different story. These guys have shown amazing attributes in terms of size, strength, power, agility and ball skills.
So why is it we have seen none of their type and will be start to see them playing AFL in the future?

Last nights origin game made me think about why we havent seen any Mauri/Tongan/Samoans in the AFL.
Am I correct in saying that there are none currently playing? Although I believe Mal Michael is of similar descent.
Comments that guys like Folau, Inglis, Marshall, Williams would easily make the switch are unwarranted due to the difficulty in learning a whole new game. However, if these same guys took up AFL as 10 year olds it would be a different story. These guys have shown amazing attributes in terms of size, strength, power, agility and ball skills.
So why is it we have seen none of their type and will be start to see them playing AFL in the future?

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pacific_Islander_Australian_rules_footballers

and it is Maori - not Mauri BTW ...

Frankly they View AFL as a girls sport.

We have Rodan/Carlisle and soon Naitanui who all have links to Fiji,

I think Grigg from carlton is half Mauri, any truth to that?

Paul Bower who was playing particularly well down back for Carlton this year before he suffered a season-ending injury is Maori - he has the traditional tatoos to boot; pretty sure Grigg isn't Maori.

Those areas are huge rugby league strong holds. The AFL doesnt go there because they know that it is:
a. not worth the financial input
b. Much better trying places like the US, South Africa, Ireland and other European countries.

David Rodan was born in Fiji, he came to Australia and his dad wanted him to play rugby. There were no rugby clubs in his area so he played AFL instead.

Polys prefer rugby more as its just tradition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back