McDonalds Childcare Centres

Remove this Banner Ad

If you feel uncomfortable taking your children to a Childcare center owned/sponsored by Mcdonalds, don't take them there then. Nobody is forcing you, the same way you don't have to eat at Mcdonalds. Perhaps Mcdonalds can find ways to reduce costs, like what many other private companies try to do.

There's nothing wrong with McDonalds' food. The problem is that some people eat far too many calories. That really isn't McDonalds fault though.

There is something wrong with Maccas food though - if someone got all their daily calories from there they'd be very unhealthy regardless of their weight not changing.

I don't think it's comparable to saying a diet consisting solely of vegetables would also be unhealthy - because in the latter case the problem is just a shortfall of nutrients, whereas eating the former means you're actually introducing harmful toxins into your body.

I eat Maccas occasionally, but I do it with full knowledge of what I'm eating. I think a lot of people don't genuinely understand why it's so bad for you.

No, the issue is that most food that exists is comprised mostly of salt, sugar and fat, since that what food is made from in a chemical sense.

Food that exists naturally isn't full of sugar or salt (assuming we mean sugar in the sense of the white stuff or HFCS, and not classing all simple carbs as sugar), those are only added to processed foods. In fact they encourage people who only eat whole foods to introduce some external salt into their diet, because the campaigns about cutting out salt are aimed at people who are getting a shitload from processed food already.

And the fat Maccas use isn't the sort of fat found in nature, it's processed vegetable fats that throw your Omega 6 to Omega 3 levels dangerously out of whack. Our bodies are designed to have a 1:1 ratio, but thanks to the the explosion of processed vegetable oils in everything these days the average American diet now contains a ratio of 15-25:1.

There is something wrong with Maccas food though - if someone got all their daily calories from there they'd be very unhealthy regardless of their weight not changing.

No, they wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with McDonalds food as long as you don't eat too much of it. The issue with McDonalds (and most restaurants) is the portion size. If you eat there 3 times a day you will get fat, purely because you're eating far more calories than you are supposed to be eating.

The exact same thing would happen if you ate 3 meals a day at a 3 star steakhouse. But most people don't do that because they can't afford to. In essence, the reason people hate McDonalds is because their food is cheap.

http://nypost.com/2013/07/28/the-greatest-food-in-human-history/

I eat Maccas occasionally, but I do it with full knowledge of what I'm eating. I think a lot of people don't genuinely understand why it's so bad for you.

Thinking that you are uniquely knowledgable and it's just poor and stupid people that we need to make rules for is a very common attitude among health nazis.

Depends what you eat there. This guy actually improved his weight and cholesterol.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-mcdonalds-2014-1

Fair enough, though I don't think your average Maccas customer goes there to buy oatmeal.

And in the original article he also admitted it was the first time he'd started exercising and counting his calories, so it wasn't a particularly great experiment in the sense of trying to keep all other variables constant.

Thinking that you are uniquely knowledgable and it's just poor and stupid people that we need to make rules for is a very common attitude among health nazis.

People can eat whatever they want, smoke whatever they want, snort whatever they want, I don't care.

I'm not a health nazi in that respect, I don't agree with trying to tell people it's harmless though.

When Morgan Spurlock made his documentary, he ordered a value meal for every meal and upsized it whenever he was asked, which didn't really make for a very good experiment either since he was eating over 5,000 calories per day. He also limited his exercise to the national average of walking 5,000 steps per day, and no other physical activity.

People can eat whatever they want, smoke whatever they want, snort whatever they want, I don't care.

I'm not a health nazi in that respect, I don't agree with trying to tell people it's harmless though.

What is it in particular then that makes food from McDonalds worse than food from a different restaurant?

McDonalds is not the only place to sell Hamburgers and post-mixed Coca Cola. And their hamburgers are no better or worse for you than a Hamburger made at a more upmarket place. What Health Nazis really hate about McDonalds is that they provide calories cheaply enough that even the poorest people in the country can afford them.

Before restaurants like McDonalds existed, only rich people were fat.

Last edited:
When Morgan Spurlock made his documentary, he ordered a value meal for every meal and upsized it whenever he was asked, which didn't really make for a very good experiment either since he was eating over 5,000 calories per day. He also limited his exercise to the national average of walking 5,000 steps per day, and no other physical activity.

Yeah his experiment had the same issues, no doubt.

Yeah his experiment had the same issues, no doubt.

Not really, his experiment proved what people already knew. That if you eat too much and don't exercise, you will get fat.

But it proved nothing about McDonalds since there was no control food to compare it to. To actually see if McDonalds is uniquely bad for you, you'd have to consume the equivalent amount of calories from a different source and compare the results. So again, neither experiment says anything about McDonalds in particular, just a general lesson about the dangers of eating too much.

What is it in particular then that makes food from McDonalds worse than food from a different restaurant?

McDonalds is not the only place to sell Hamburgers and post-mixed Coca Cola. And their hamburgers are no better or worse for you than a Hamburger made at a more upmarket place.

The degree of processing and the quality of the meat, bread etc. There is very little nutritional value to most things on the menu at McDonalds. Calorific content yes, nutritional value no.

You are spot on about McDonald's just selling the same s**t everywhere else does, though. I reckon people love to demonise the big boys because they know they can take it. Kids going for happy meals after Saturday morning sport should be viewed no differently to kids eating lollies or hot chips etc. from the rec centre canteen instead - something to be done in moderation.

I would take a burger from Grill'd, Jus Burgers etc. or a good burger made at home over a Big Mac any day. If I make burgers at home I'll use fresh grated carrot and lettuce, decent beef, real cheese, Turkish bread or crispy rolls etc. Burgers are a bit like pizza in that there are very healthy and very unhealthy ways of making them. My biggest gripe (if you could call it that) with Maccas etc. is that no one item is really enough and people are conditioned to ordering burger/chips/soft drink combos which give you lots of calories and fat and salt and sugar in one hit. If I get an 'upmarket' burger or even get a roll from Subway I won't get the secondary stuff to go with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McDonalds is not the only place to sell Hamburgers and post-mixed Coca Cola. And their hamburgers are no better or worse for you than a Hamburger made at a more upmarket place.

Well I wouldn't call many hamburgers particularly healthy, but the higher up the chain you go the better quality the meat and the less sugar is in the buns. Plus you get real salad that doesn't look like it's just been nuked in the microwave.

Maccas obviously cop it because they are the ubiquitous poster boy for fast food and have a very aggressive marketing strategy... including towards kids. So I can see why people would be uneasy about them moving into childcare.

Last edited:
What Health Nazis really hate about McDonalds is that they provide calories cheaply enough that even the poorest people in the country can afford them.

As Scotland alluded to, don't confuse macronutrients with micronutrients. It's very easy to eat enough calories to become obese while still being technically undernourished.

Last edited:
As Scotland alluded too, don't confuse macronutrients with micronutrients. It's very possible to eat enough of the former to become obese while still being technically undernourished.
pokerspiv will dismiss any evidence and accounting for taste.

I mean really, a burger at McDonalds is no worse for you than a burger bought at a more upmarket place. What a load of s**t.

The degree of processing and the quality of the meat, bread etc. There is very little nutritional value to most things on the menu at McDonalds. Calorific content yes, nutritional value no.

That's just not true.

http://nypost.com/2013/07/28/the-greatest-food-in-human-history/

What is “the cheapest, most nutritious and bountiful food that has ever existed in human history” Hint: It has 390 calories. It contains 23g, or half a daily serving, of protein, plus 7% of daily fiber, 20% of daily calcium and so on.

Lol tabloid.

You are now doing exactly what you accused me of wanting to do 3 posts up.

Do you actually have any evidence to the contrary? The nutritional value of all McDonalds' meals is printed on their menu, and the link I linked above quoted directly from that menu. Are you telling me you have some kind of inside knowledge that they are lying? If so, that would be a pretty big story, you should probably contact a journalist or something.

What are you basing your opinion to the contrary on? You realise it's literally impossible for McDonalds to have "no nutritional value" unless they were made from sand or something right?. It's a ridiculous claim.

You are now doing exactly what you accused me of wanting to do 3 posts up.

Do you actually have any evidence to the contrary? The nutritional value of all McDonalds' meals is printed on their menu, and the link I linked above quoted directly from that menu. Are you telling me you have some kind of inside knowledge that they are lying? If so, that would be a pretty big story, you should probably contact a journalist or something.
There's more to nutrition than the macronutrients of protein, fat and carbohydrates.

There's more to nutrition than the macronutrients of protein, fat and carbohydrates.

And if you could bothered to read the nutritional information I linked to, the McDouble contains other things too, notably Calcium, Iron, Vitamin A and C.

Claiming McDonalds has "no nutritional value" is ridiculous, literally impossible and fairly stupid.

And if you could bothered to read the nutritional information I linked to, the McDouble contains other things too, notably Calcium, Iron, Vitamin A and C.

Claiming McDonalds has "no nutritional value" is ridiculous, literally impossible and fairly stupid.
I never claimed that, you cretin.

You claimed "their hamburgers are no better or worse for you than a Hamburger made at a more upmarket place."

Which is arrant nonsense.

I never claimed that, you cretin.

You claimed "their hamburgers are no better or worse for you than a Hamburger made at a more upmarket place."

Which is arrant nonsense.

Every post you make is arrant nonsense.

Provide some evidence or shut the * up.

Every post you make is arrant nonsense.

Provide some evidence or shut the **** up.
Brick me, shithead.

You're the one making the claim. You prove that McDonald's is no worse for you than a hypothetical burger with higher fibre content and lower sugar content than a more upmarket restaurant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back