MCG Standing Room

Remove this Banner Ad

King LeBron

Team Captain
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Whats the deal with standing room at the G for the Grand Final? I've heard stories about having to get there when the gates open and having to forgo your spot if you leave to go get a drink or to the toilet.

What have other peoples recent experience been on Grand Final Day with standing room?

I was SR last year. Got there at half 10 and it was three deep. I think you actually have designated standing spots but they are not adhered to and it is first in. In my area people were good about you leaving your spot because lets be honest you gotta drain and get refreshments. Having said that I have two mates I'm with so that was/is helpful.

It is also probably the most rowdy and atmospheric way to watch a GF from my experience as you are really bunched in by game time. It was nuts down there in M22 (I think it was M22) last year, when Hawthorn were rolling in the second Q.

All in all I'd say get there early as possible, especially if you are not tall. It is worth it though, bloody good times.

I was SR last year. Got there at half 10 and it was three deep. I think you actually have designated standing spots but they are not adhered to and it is first in. In my area people were good about you leaving your spot because lets be honest you gotta drain and get refreshments. Having said that I have two mates I'm with so that was/is helpful.

It is also probably the most rowdy and atmospheric way to watch a GF from my experience as you are really bunched in by game time. It was nuts down there in M22 (I think it was M22) last year, when Hawthorn were rolling in the second Q.

All in all I'd say get there early as possible, especially if you are not tall. It is worth it though, bloody good times.
Thanks for the genuine response mate, much appreciated. I'm with two mates too so if we get there when the gates open, hopefully we shouldn't have too many dramas. Good luck (but not too much luck) on Saturday, should be a cracker!

Did 2008 in standing room. Absolutely no worries. Did get there early (10.00am) but probably didn't need to. Most people were willing to mind spots for each other so visiting toilets and obtaining essential beer supplies were a breeze.

Had a seat last year but ended up standing with mates when a security guard let us stand in a section as long we behaved ourselves (which we did). It was beyond awesome.

Did 2008 in standing room. Absolutely no worries. Did get there early (10.00am) but probably didn't need to. Most people were willing to mind spots for each other so visiting toilets and obtaining essential beer supplies were a breeze.

Had a seat last year but ended up standing with mates when a security guard let us stand in a section as long we behaved ourselves (which we did). It was beyond awesome.
Sounds like standing room is the place to be. Speaking to some others they were saying standing room is a terrible experience. But as long as we get there early and get a good spot, it sounds like we're gonna have a sweet time. Thanks mate.

Depends how you approach it. I’ve stood at GFs, ANZAC days, etc and had mixed experiences.

The problem with GF day is you get a whole heap of people in standing room who have never been there before and aren’t used to it. They come running in a 9am and reserve their “space”, and will not move an inch no matter what happens for fear of losing their “spot”. They’ll squeeze in and out if they have to go to the toilet etc, get ultra shitty with people who invade “their space” etc etc, and basically treat their little spot on the fence like it’s a seat that nobody else has a right to go near.

Experienced standers, those who know how to stand, those who do it every week, are a little more relaxed about the whole thing. They realise that you don’t have a mortgage on a spot, the crowd moves around a little. You can’t place your heckin Rip Curl backpack on the concrete at 9am and expect to claim a square metre of space for the next 9 hours.

Of course, if there’s a group of people and one of them bails for a bit, he’s going straight back in to stand with his mates. But I’ve had busy days where an entire group of douchebags disappear and then arrive back expecting the oceans to part for them to make their way right back to their cosy premium “space” where they’ve hung their membership scarf. I don’t think so lads. heck off.

You have to be prepared to move around a bit here and there on a busy day, and duck and dive to see all the action if you don’t have a great spot. If it’s s**t, walk to another bay and find a better spot. IF you’re keen not to move, someone has to stay there. Within reason. Not one bloke trying to “reserve” a spot for twenty others to invade into. Use your common sense.

You’re not buying any real estate. You don’t have a seat. Basically it requires everybody to chill out, be courteous and reasonable, and use their brains. Then you’ll have a good day. There’s usually plenty of room for everybody to see, especially with the terraced bays, they’re great.

All in all, it’s the only way to watch the footy.

Depends how you approach it. I’ve stood at GFs, ANZAC days, etc and had mixed experiences.

The problem with GF day is you get a whole heap of people in standing room who have never been there before and aren’t used to it. They come running in a 9am and reserve their “space”, and will not move an inch no matter what happens for fear of losing their “spot”. They’ll squeeze in and out if they have to go to the toilet etc, get ultra shitty with people who invade “their space” etc etc, and basically treat their little spot on the fence like it’s a seat that nobody else has a right to go near.

Experienced standers, those who know how to stand, those who do it every week, are a little more relaxed about the whole thing. They realise that you don’t have a mortgage on a spot, the crowd moves around a little. You can’t place your ****in Rip Curl backpack on the concrete at 9am and expect to claim a square metre of space for the next 9 hours.

Of course, if there’s a group of people and one of them bails for a bit, he’s going straight back in to stand with his mates. But I’ve had busy days where an entire group of douchebags disappear and then arrive back expecting the oceans to part for them to make their way right back to their cosy premium “space” where they’ve hung their membership scarf. I don’t think so lads. **** off.

You have to be prepared to move around a bit here and there on a busy day, and duck and dive to see all the action if you don’t have a great spot. If it’s s**t, walk to another bay and find a better spot. IF you’re keen not to move, someone has to stay there. Within reason. Not one bloke trying to “reserve” a spot for twenty others to invade into. Use your common sense.

You’re not buying any real estate. You don’t have a seat. Basically it requires everybody to chill out, be courteous and reasonable, and use their brains. Then you’ll have a good day. There’s usually plenty of room for everybody to see, especially with the terraced bays, they’re great.

Pretty much nails the standing room experience on Grand Final day

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have done all the GFs ive attended in SR.

Its not too bad, if people are decent and let the shorter people in front, I just rock up 5 mins before the bounce and hang at the back but im tall. You have to move around now and then to get a view if there's a 6"+ guy in the front but generally its an ok view but you will miss bits and pieces with pillars and people in your way etc. The atmosphere is worth it, I never hugged so many strangers in my life in 08.

Experienced standers, those who know how to stand, those who do it every week, are a little more relaxed about the whole thing. They realise that you don’t have a mortgage on a spot, the crowd moves around a little. You can’t place your ****in Rip Curl backpack on the concrete at 9am and expect to claim a square metre of space for the next 9 hours.

Of course, if there’s a group of people and one of them bails for a bit, he’s going straight back in to stand with his mates. But I’ve had busy days where an entire group of douchebags disappear and then arrive back expecting the oceans to part for them to make their way right back to their cosy premium “space” where they’ve hung their membership scarf. I don’t think so lads. **** off.

Great post, got it in one.

Pretty well summed up. I stand for all H&A games but I've only ever stood for the one GF (Coll vs Bris in '03) and it was a complete nightmare. Full of those mugs who had never stood before.

Thanks mate, great post. Will keep that all in mind!

Haha some great comments on this thread. There is a strong standing room etiquette. If you have questions about the sport of Pro Standing ask the person beside you and they'll be happy to help. You will probably rejoice in one anothers arms through out the day.

Standing Room etiquette is that people are courteous to each other and don't jump in front of someone who was standing in a spot before you. Of course his is often a big ask as many people appear to have been raised by wolves and have nil consideration for others.

Standing Room etiquette is that people are courteous to each other and don't jump in front of someone who was standing in a spot before you. Of course his is often a big ask as many people appear to have been raised by wolves and have nil consideration for others.

Yes, this.

There also should be something about the etiquette around powering in a whole heap of bourbons and trying to start a fight in the third quarter. That seems to happen from time to time in standing room but mostly things are fine and happy and very active in the support stakes.

I have heard that people take camping chairs to use in standing room (just to rest on I think). Has anyone seen this at a GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back