Michael Clarke vs the World

Remove this Banner Ad

If we start pre-emptively dropping players because they might get hurt, how could we ever justify picking Shane Watson?

But at the time, at least Watson had age on his side, Clarke is in his 30s with a history of hamstring tears. Plus he has had surgery on it too.

Rioli is fortunate age is on his side, but eventually those hamstrings will give way when he is in his 30s.

But at the time, at least Watson had age on his side, Clarke is in his 30s with a history of hamstring tears. Plus he has had surgery on it too.
What about now?

Watson is the same age as Clarke and has a long history of injury. He's been out of action again with a hamstring concern. What happens if he breaks down during a match?

Surely you pick your best side, which includes Clarke, rather than dropping him in advance because 'he might break down'.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with Clarke now is you can't guarantee him not breaking down. As Sweet Jesus you can't ever guarantee that about any player, but there are varying levels of certainty you can have.

At the moment you can only really pick Clarke if is he fit, and hope that he plays out the full match.

As for the leadership talk going on at the moment, there is no doubt that tensions are high. If he isn't fit for the cup, or he does his hammy or back in the second game after declaring himself fit, then it will really escalate. At the end of the day there is a lot of big ego's trying to throw their weight around and none of them look like they want to give in an inch.

For the WC, they will make Clarke do 100m sprints (ok maybe an exaggeration) but they will push him and I am sure he will break down or at the very least the testing session will make his hamstrings vulnerable.

If Smith was failing, then yes bring him in. but he isnt and Smith is the future of Australian cricket, Clarke will become the past.

Smith will only get tested as a captain when he fails consistently with the bat. In any case, its very obvious that Lehmann is running the show as the captain.

If Smith was failing, then yes bring him in. but he isnt and Smith is the future of Australian cricket, Clarke will become the past.
It's not about past v future. It's about picking the best side in the present.

If Clarke isn't fit, then he shouldn't play. But he shouldn't be sidelined for philosophical reasons.

It's not about past v future. It's about picking the best side in the present.

If Clarke isn't fit, then he shouldn't play. But he shouldn't be sidelined for philosophical reasons.

How about the fact, that he is considered a wank by a lot of people both in and out of the team and CA and the staff.:eek:

To me that disruptive element is something CA would rather not have. A bit like the KP situation for England.

How about the fact, that he is considered a wank by a lot of people both in and out of the team and CA and the staff.:eek:
Please tell me the details. If it's a "fact" and it's common knowledge?

That aside, who cares what people outside the team think of him?

And let's assume that someone like Shane Watson, for example, doesn't get on with Clarke. Would you be happy for him to be sacked on that basis? Is that what's important?

What would you say if we axed Clarke and then went to England and our batting failed and we lost the series? Would you stand by the decision to sack him for these bizarre reasons? Or would you be scratching your head and wondering if it was such a good idea to forcibly retire our most accomplished batsman immediately prior to a major series?

Because that's what you sign on for. That's the gamble. If Clarke goes and we get beaten, there's no going back and doing it differently. That will be on the guys at the ACB who are leaking to undermine Clarke and, indirectly, on supporters who think that's a good idea.

To me that disruptive element is something CA would rather not have. A bit like the KP situation for England.
OK, and were England right to sack Pietersen? Has that worked out well for them? Are they better off without a player who's scored 8000 runs at 47?

You talk about 'that disruptive element' but what do you actually mean? What has Clarke done that has hurt the team or made it less likely to win? Or are we going to go down the same line as England and just leave that space blank?

You're talking about sacking a very good player who hasn't committed any major indiscretions ever. Surely you have to come up with a real reason to do that.

Please tell me the details. If it's a "fact" and it's common knowledge?

Its 4am and a lot of posters echo the same thoughts as me, please argue with them. The confidence you despite having only recently apparently joined this forum suggests to me, that this is an alias account from one that was created possibly after an earlier one was deleted before.

Clarke is considered a wank by a few players plus assistant staff plus CA. End of story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back