Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so we're clear - Neeld's piece must be dismissed because he has a connection with Mick, but the one's written by 'journos' with agendas who have a clear dislike for Mick must be treated as gospel.

Another reasonable point ET. It is one thing to pull apart an opinion piece with an obvious bias, (the Neeld article is clearly that), but you cannot discount the overwhelmingly positive way MM is described by his former players and colleagues.

Just so we're clear - Neeld's piece must be dismissed because he has a connection with Mick, but the one's written by 'journos' with agendas who have a clear dislike for Mick must be treated as gospel.
No, I have explained why I disregard Neeld's piece. It had NOTHING to do with him having a connection with MM.

No, I have explained why I disregard Neeld's piece. It had NOTHING to do with him having a connection with MM.

My post wasn't directed at you. Hence I didn't quote you. It was more of a summation of the general sentiment in this thread and what I have heard from other people on other mediums regarding Neeld's piece.

Actually Maggie it was not a synopsis nor intended to be. It was intended to be a critical analysis of Neeld's article. The question isn't which was quicker to read but rather was either informative. The message from my analysis was that Neeld's article wasn't worth much, and to the extent it was worth anything it was critical of a now forgetful MM. Did you get more out of it than that? Pep apparently did but also seems shy to tell us quite what he learnt.
Not sure I learnt anything I did not already suspect. The thing about the piece was that it wasn't written by a journalist with their nose out of joint. So I thought it would be good for people on both sides of the MM coin to read it and have a different perspective.
But aside from this, it didn't make me think any differently about what I think of him as a coach of our club. So I really really didn't have you in mind at all Windhover. You seem to be set in your opinion very deeply, where as I'm not. I may feel that he shouldn't be the coach when we are out of finals contention next year, in the final year of his contract.

For the record, I wanted Ratten to see out his contract as well.
As for wanting to see someone humiliated into resigning? I dont know, is he Richard Nixon? James Hird? ;)

Windhover,

The thing about your view I don't get:

Why do you feel that Malthouse should be humiliated into resigning? Surely that is counter productive. If he's not the right fit why not make a clean break?
My opinion is expressed here . . .
The chicken little 'season is over' thread
and here . . .
The chicken little 'season is over' thread.

In short, MM should cease as coach as soon as possible.
But sacking the coach is detrimental to club culture, loyalty to the jumper and respect for the club.
If MM is humiliated* into resigning then we get rid of a dud coach and can get a coach in whom we do have confidence.

* "Humiliation" is a relative thing. I recommend that the President on behalf of the Board now advise MM that the Board has resolved to not renew his contract at the end of 2015. MM should be advised that if he wishes to terminate his contract at the end of 2014 the Board will consider his early termination favourably and will announce to the press the mutual decision of both parties to end his contract. If he wishes to stay any other early termination that might create difficulties for the Club will be looked at less favourably. In the event MM wishes to coach on MM will be advised that the press will be told this is the opinion of the Board and that the reason for publishing the resolution is to make it clear that the Board has decided finally that it has no confidence in MM as coach beyond 2015.

Of course MM may well choose to live with the humiliation. So be it. If this outcome is counter-productive (and it may be short-term) it is at least honest and not treating MM, members and supporters as mugs who can be told any old crap even when the relationship with the coach is over. The Club can rightly claim (a) it no longer disrespects contracts; and (b) it is acting transparently. And, of course, if MM should think that his continuing to coach to the end of 2015 was best for the Club he could even after this humiliation, be right.

My opinion is expressed here . . .
The chicken little 'season is over' thread
and here . . .
The chicken little 'season is over' thread.

But sacking the coach is detrimental to club culture, loyalty to the jumper and respect for the club.
If MM is humiliated* into resigning then we get rid of a dud coach and can get a coach in whom we do have confidence.

* "Humiliation" is a relative thing. I recommend that the President on behalf of the Board now advise MM that the Board has resolved to not renew his contract at the end of 2015. MM should be advised that if he wishes to terminate his contract at the end of 2014 the Board will consider his early termination favourably and will announce to the press the mutual decision of both parties to end his contract. If he wishes to stay any other early termination that might create difficulties for the Club will be looked at less favourably. In the event MM wishes to coach on MM will be advised that the press will be told this is the opinion of the Board and that the reason for publishing the resolution is to make it clear that the Board has decided finally that it has no confidence in MM as coach beyond 2015.

Of course MM may well choose to live with the humiliation. So be it. If this outcome is counter-productive (and it may be short-term) it is at least honest and not treating MM, members and supporters as mugs who can be told any old crap even when the relationship with the coach is over. The Club can rightly claim (a) it no longer disrespects contracts; and (b) it is acting transparently. And, of course, if MM should think that his continuing to coach to the end of 2015 was best for the Club he could even after this humiliation, be right.

dude, you're on your own. Start at the source..

I think the fact that someone is actually wanting to see someone else humiliated, someone who they would not know as a person, or as a football coach, other than what the media tells them, tells us all we need to know about said person. You almost have to feel sympathy for someone who has such a mindset.

I'm not the president of the Malthouse Fan Club by any stretch of the imagination but the simple fact is, we need someone who is prepared to make the hard decisions and not play favourites if we are to make any serious inroads into improving our list.

Malthouse is no pushover or apologist so right now, he is the best person to have at the helm whilst the dirty work gets carried out.

Maybe in 2-3 years time, a Brendan Bolton type of assistant could take over but not right now.

I'm not the president of the Malthouse Fan Club by any stretch of the imagination but the simple fact is, we need someone who is prepared to make the hard decisions and not play favourites if we are to make any serious inroads into improving our list.

Malthouse is no pushover or apologist so right now, he is the best person to have at the helm whilst the dirty work gets carried out.

Maybe in 2-3 years time, a Brendan Bolton type of assistant could take over but not right now.

The issue is though, Mick wasnt appointed at the end of 2012 to rebuild the club from the bottom.

In fact when Mick entered our club, he publicly stated that he was happy with the list and wouldnt make to many changes. And very few changes occurred when he arrived.

A good comparison of performance since then, can be made with Hinkley's appointment at Port at the end of 2012. Mick malthouse was probably justified in his initial enthusiasm of our list. Hinkley has performed very well since he got the Port job at the end of 2012. Hinkley was the AFLCA coach of the year in 2013 - his first year.

Can only go on the results - and whether we need major rebuild or not, the performance under Mick has been mediocre at best. Especially this year

CHAMPION DATA 2012

CARLTONDefenders 14th
Midfield/Rucks 3rd
Forwards 2nd
LIST QUALITY 9th

PORT ADELAIDEDefenders 18th

Midfield/Rucks 12th
Forwards 17th
LIST QUALITY 17th

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is though, Mick wasnt appointed at the end of 2012 to rebuild the club from the bottom.

In fact when Mick entered our club, he publicly stated that he was happy with the list and wouldnt make to many changes. And very few changes occurred when he arrived.

Yeah .......... so ??? :confused:

Things change, opinions change, market forces change, opportunities arise .............. the list goes on.

If that's the case, I'm out of here.

More dad-jokes than a reunion from the actors of Cocoon

That post I was responding to was identical to a certain poster who posts the same thing in every thread. Apparently we should've got Hinkley.

Things change, opinions change, market forces change, opportunities arise .............. the list goes on.
If deGalt is who I think he is, I wouldn't even bother. He'll just post the exact same thing in a response.

true...but these changes happened over night

what happened in 2013 and so far in 2014 under the malthouse/wiley regime?

Have we moved forward, backward or are we pedaling on the same spot?

Until you produce a record of Port's drafting vs ours in the years 2009-2011, there's no point quoting champion data.

so you work backwards?

I am sure that you were looking at Ports drafting during the 2009-2011 and immediately thought "WOW what a list - what a supreme pool of talent these geniuses have assembled at Port Power"

They are about to explode off the blokes - all they need is an experienced genius coach like Mick

well done - you could see it coming

congratulations

so you work backwards?

I am sure you looking at Ports drafting during the 2009-2011 and immediately thought "WOW what a list - what a supreme pool of talent these geniuses have assembled at Port Power"

They are about to explode off the blokes - all they need is an experienced genius coach like Mick

well done - you could see it coming

congratulations

What exactly are you saying?

Port had picks before Carlton in 2008 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 and may well finish in the lower order of the final 8.

Don't get caught up in the moment as things change pretty quickly. Hero today..........zero tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back