Mike Sheahan picks his best teams of the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's & 2000's

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily. 2000s not so much.

Ablett actually isn't as much of a lock as you'd think. He'd be the first picked in a 2010s team, though.

The team of 2000s is 2000-2009, and Ablett was only at the top of his game for 3 of those 10 seasons. Ablett 2002-2006 was nothing special.

I can buy that, but Hodge?

Sam Mitchell didnt do much before 09....Aside from captaining the Hawks to a flag. Still fine he didnt make it.

Goodes very stiff. Didnt see mention of Paul Salmon either.

9DJCj+

I remember wasting my uni lectures coming up with team of the decades/years etc. I had such a great life I even made a table of stats for the better players during the decade.

Obviously players like Hird/Buckley deserve to be in teams like this but they are sort of half in the 90's and 00's so it's always hard to choose which decade they belong. Obviously I'll say Goodes is stiff considering he has played 100 more games than both during the decade.

Goodwin is an underrated player in these discussions.
Great post. This is exactly the logic you would have assumed anyone creating these teams would have used, but obviously didn't. It really is astounding.

Surely Goodes' output between 2000 and 2009 trumps the likes of both Ablett and Buckley, for example, over that same timeframe???

Hey Mike....suck this....

Orgasmic.

That goal vs St Kilda where he was 50 out and didn't even bother straightening onto his right, he just slammed it home on the left.

2000s
B
: C. Johnson (Fitz/BL), M. Scarlett (Geel), D. Fletcher (Ess)
HB: L. Hodge (Haw), J. Leppitsch (BL), N. Lappin (BL)
C: N. Buckley (BB/Coll), M. Voss (BL), S. Black (BL)
HF: N. Riewoldt (StK), J. Brown (BL), B. Harvey (NM)
F: J. Akermanis (BL/WB), M. Lloyd (Ess), B. Johnson (WB)
Foll: D. Cox (WC), C. Judd (WC/Carl), G. Ablett jnr (Geel/GC)

Int: M. Pavlich (Fre), M. Ricciuto (Adel), S. Crawford (Haw), W. Tredrea (PA)

Coach: L. Matthews 

Captain: M. Voss

Whys isnt Goodes in this team?????????
boooooooooooooooooooo

sheehan did not pick Cousins because he thinks he is a drug cheat. you are a knob Sheehan who ignores facts and pumps his little fabricated narrative, yet overlooks everybody else. his teams mean jackshit! out of touch and thankfully forgotten
This, saw it on the AFL app and immediately closed it, refuse to discuss his shitness (besides this post obviously)

Orgasmic.

That goal vs St Kilda where he was 50 out and didn't even bother straightening onto his right, he just slammed it home on the left.

Amidst the soap opera his off field life has become, some people seriously forget how much of an absolute gun Ben actually was....if the bloke ever played a bad game (at least for West Coast) - I didn't see it.

For him to not make the 2000s list....absolute farce. And if your excluding him on 'moral grounds' Mike, how can you have Ablett Sr and Carey on there? Unless your suggesting Ben was loading up on gear on game day? In which case you are betraying two facts...A) you are an absolute moron and B) you have zero respect for the integrity of John Worsfold or any of the Eagles game day medical staff...knowingly (and on game day you would have to know let's face it) willing to send out a bloke wired to the eyeballs on methamphetamine and potentially risk cardiac arrest on the field....just a disgusting and reprehensible slur I'm afraid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2000s
B
: C. Johnson (Fitz/BL), M. Scarlett (Geel), D. Fletcher (Ess)
HB: L. Hodge (Haw), J. Leppitsch (BL), N. Lappin (BL)
C: N. Buckley (BB/Coll), M. Voss (BL), S. Black (BL)
HF: N. Riewoldt (StK), J. Brown (BL), B. Harvey (NM)
F: J. Akermanis (BL/WB), M. Lloyd (Ess), B. Johnson (WB)
Foll: D. Cox (WC), C. Judd (WC/Carl), G. Ablett jnr (Geel/GC)

Int: M. Pavlich (Fre), M. Ricciuto (Adel), S. Crawford (Haw), W. Tredrea (PA)

Coach: L. Matthews 

Captain: M. Voss

Assuming this is 2000-2009

In: Cousins, Goodes
Out: Hodge for Cousins, Johnson for Goodes

Tredrea on the field for Jon Brown - I'd have him 3rd or 4th in line for CHF behind Tredrea and Reiwoldt.

Is Dustin Fletcher a mortal lock here?...Could look at Darren Glass but he did split his best footy across 00-09 and 10-14.

Also a bit confused that James Hird isn't grouped in with his universally regarded 'peers' in Buckley and Voss, surely it would make sense to line him up with the players he was constantly compared with throughout his playing days? or was his footy post 1999 really not comparable to Buckley and Voss in their prime? :)

He should change it up a bit and do a 'worst teams'.

That's Mofra's job.

I'm quite surprised at the amount of love Tredders is getting. But I also agree that he is an absolute lock for centre half forward. An absolute superstar at his best. He would have been a top five player in the competition in 2004.

Yes, a guy who before the VFL went national exclusively followed Victorian footy for a Victorian paper only selected people who played in Victoria to be remembered at a Victorian ground.
Article insinuates they're Australian not Victorian teams of the decade.

I do t have any time for mike Sheehan at all

Flapping Victorian with little national perspective ......

This, saw it on the AFL app and immediately closed it, refuse to discuss his shitness (besides this post obviously)
The fact he went to rehab two or three times

Made comeback

And tHen retired ....

Sheehan has no idea of addiction

The problem you get with teams of the decade is players who straddled two decades. Nathan Buckley a great example. His primes years were 1996 to 2003 which leaves four years in each decade. If anything he was more of a 90's player as his first three years in the AFL where better than his last four years where he struggled to make a regular impact.

Simon Beasley kicked more goals in the 1980s than any other player. Wonder if Mike was aware of this.

Fair point very unlucky.
Cant see him being ahead of Dunstall though. Dunstall averaged 95 goals a year in 80's.
Beasley a bit like Tony Modra when we talk about the goalsquare greats of the 80s/90s.
Gets forgotten very easily.

Bit of a vfl thing in the 70's and 80's - no stephen michael pffffft

It's Mike Sheahan, football didn't exist outside the VFL for him. He is extremely parochial.

Having said that only 9 of his 1990's team are Victorians, the decade when for the first time, all the best players played in the one league. Pretty much dispels the troglodytes who still hold onto the VFL = AFL in standard arguments.

10 years is too long. Many great players really only peak over a 5-7 year period. If a players best straddle decades then it makes it hard to crack into a best of side that is done on strict ten year periods, while also throwing up a lot of contentious picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back