Toast Morabito tracking thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hardly comparing myself to an elite athlete. Regardless of whether or not you're an professional athlete there will always be associated problems with any kind of orthopaedic surgery. Thems the breaks.

As for how much these problems impact individuals, you can't really compare anybody to anybody else. Statistically Mora would be an absolute anomaly to come back from this, I think we have to accept that.
I'm sorry if I came across a bit harsh there mate. I don't have the stats as it appears that you do. Why are they comparing to other athletes who have come back with success then? Aren't top level athletes often counted as the anomalies? I thought medical practice and recovery science was very much based on comparing cases? Thanks for sheding some light on all of this :)

Last edited:

I'm sorry if I came across a bit harsh there mate. I don't have the stats as it appears that you do. Why are they comparing to other athletes who have come back with success then? Aren't top level athletes often counted as the anomalies? I thought medical practice and recovery science was very much based on comparing cases? Thanks for sheding some light on all of this :)

No worries. Aside from not being a demi-god like Mora, I'm also a female in my early 20s so my chances of doing an ACL (which I have, along with various other knee surgeries) are much higher. But I'm also under no illusions that I'm any sort of super human with the recuperative powers of a young male athlete.

I don't have any stats in front of me, but from memory about 40% of people after an initial ACL repair perceive that they never get back to full strength on the affected knee. Those numbers increase after a revision ACL (which Mora has had obviously). Plenty of sports stars return from ACLs but when any injury re-occurs it gets harder and harder to find a comparative case in which a succseful comeback has been made. Malceski is the only one that springs to mind and even he is difficult to draw parallels to as he went with a bit of a hail mary with a non-traditional LARS procedure . Otherwise you're comparing athletes of different sporting codes and it's hard to find a sport that is quite as a demanding on the structures of the knee as AFL.

Look, he'd be an anomaly amongst anomalies. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
No worries. Aside from not being a demi-god like Mora, I'm also a female in my early 20s so my chances of doing an ACL (which I have, along with various other knee surgeries) are much higher. But I'm also under no illusions that I'm any sort of super human with the recuperative powers of a young male athlete.

I don't have any stats in front of me, but from memory about 40% of people after and initial ACL repair perceive that they never get back to full strength on the affected knee. Those numbers increase after a revision ACL (which Mora has had obviously). Plenty of sports stars return from ACL's but when any injury re-occurs it gets harder and harder to find a comparative case in which a succseful comeback has been made. Malceski is the only one that springs to mind and even he is difficult to draw parallels too as he went with a bit of a hail mary with a non-traditional LARS procedure . Otherwise you're comparing athletes of different sporting codes and it's hard to find a sport that is quite as a demanding on the structures of the knee as AFL.

Look, he'd be an anomaly amongst anomalies. Fingers crossed.

100% of people don't get their strength back in the ACL after a recon because you can't. Well they haven't worked out how to yet. The most you will get is 90% and the chances of redoing your ACL are high. All you can do is strengthen the muscles around the knee and do a lot of fatigue training.

Strong rumours around town that he'll be announcing retirement soon. :(

Don't know if it's true, and hope it's not.

heard the same rumor from a WAFL player so i assume it is doing the rounds at the WAFL level.

lets be honest - he is cooked and he might as well move on with his life.

the way the guy puts on muscle he could play some less-impact based sport maybe.

100% of people don't get their strength back in the ACL after a recon because you can't. Well they haven't worked out how to yet. The most you will get is 90% and the chances of redoing your ACL are high. All you can do is strengthen the muscles around the knee and do a lot of fatigue training.

adding to the research now saying that certain types of knees are more likely to tear your ACL, makes me think that scanning people bio metrically before drafting will be the next wave of testing.

Its interesting you say 90% because often the guys who do their knee via an impact injury seem to have a much lower rate of re-occurance. ie: if someone falls across your knee, ie: Hasleby/Rich types. Maybe thats because losing 10% of their strength isn't that big a deal - the knee was already structurally fine.

Having said that Ryce Palmer seems to be going alright over at GWS.

adding to the research now saying that certain types of knees are more likely to tear your ACL, makes me think that scanning people bio metrically before drafting will be the next wave of testing.

Its interesting you say 90% because often the guys who do their knee via an impact injury seem to have a much lower rate of re-occurance. ie: if someone falls across your knee, ie: Hasleby/Rich types. Maybe thats because losing 10% of their strength isn't that big a deal - the knee was already structurally fine.

Having said that Ryce Palmer seems to be going alright over at GWS.

And Mora's seemed innocuous incidents.

I know its completely different injuries but some players are just not made for the game as seen by the geelong player Cowan.

Wouldnt be surprised if Mora reinjuries even with another shot.

You seem to want Mora to fail to say ,see I told you so.Why don't you leave it alone.:mad:

I have been waiting 5 years, I given up. Nothing worst than having false hope, which is exactly what the Morra story has been so far.

Freo have given him a fair go and this was the season he needed to stay injury free. He didn't even play a preseason! Round 6 now and no estimate on his return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been waiting 5 years, I given up. Nothing worst than having false hope, which is exactly what the Morra story has been so far.

Freo have given him a fair go and this was the season he needed to stay injury free. He didn't even play a preseason! Round 6 now and no estimate on his return.
I get the false hope thing... you probably could have just left it alone or wrote with a more delicate less certain tone.

Yes he may not return. Yes some players have rotten luck with injuries. Most probably wont be surprised if he did injure himself again or didn't get back. Last we heard they were exploring all options for any possible treatment. Im not hoping, but at the same time he has been kept on the list of a professional sports team who obviously still think he is worth a spot. that may change, but they were obviously banking on finding a solution.

Sucky situation... for him, his family, the club and least of all us supporters. Seeing another injury prone player go down after taking so long to get back then immediately bringing mora up again... what was the point?

Brought it up as it reminded me of Morra. Both out for so long and only to get injured again.

Its hard stuff to witness and makes you wonder if the medical professionals have got it right. When does it reach a stage where the long term health of the player comes into consideration. And surely the mental drain I just cant imagine. Not only we're given false hope but the player.

Brought it up as it reminded me of Morra. Both out for so long and only to get injured again.

Its hard stuff to witness and makes you wonder if the medical professionals have got it right. When does it reach a stage where the long term health of the player comes into consideration. And surely the mental drain I just cant imagine. Not only we're given false hope but the player.

Yeah fair enough. I would imagine players that come back from so many injuries would be pushing quite hard themselves to have everything possible done. The fact mora hasn't retired is amazing given what he has been through.

Surgery isn't cheap! Perhaps that is one factor that is playing a part in the discussions now?
No way that would be. A great future players is worth the money, Freo are making enough $, and they have a duty of care to look after him medically anyway

No way that would be. A great future players is worth the money, Freo are making enough $, and they have a duty of care to look after him medically anyway

Yup, spot on. Even if Mora will not play AFL footy anymore, Freo have the duty of care to make sure they take care of him medically. They are also telling all the other players it's ok to train hard and play hard for the club, cause the club will take care of you if you get injured.

I didn't get a good feeling about Mora after hearing Fyfe talk about him.

Goddam, I'd give both my right and left nut to see those two dishing out 'don't argues' in the same team, in 2015.
It truly is a footy tragedy that mora doesn't get to strut his beastly frame around in tandom with his little mate Nat.

If you thought the commentary fapping now is bad over Fyfe 'the beast' imagine the two of them in tandom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back