Most Entertaining All-Time 22

Remove this Banner Ad

There is only one player that is an absolute lock for such a team - Robbie Muir.

You can argue about all the rest but Mad Dog was by far the most fascinating player ever to watch on a footy field.....anything could happen.

g-train-angry.jpg

Haha. That's friggin gruesome.

Both Krakouer brothers, thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne have been blessed with a stack of entertaining forwards over the years. Jeff Farmer, Aaron Davey, Russell Robertson, Alan Jackovic, Jeremy Howe, Liam Jurrah, Mark wacko' Jackson, even Shaun Smith.

That said my 22 would look something like this

B: Gavin Wanganeen Leo Barry Bruce Doull
HB: Dermott Brereton Matthew Scarlett Michael Long
C: Byron Pickett Chris Judd Wawrick Capper
HF: Allan Jakovich Ben Graham Liam Jurrah
F: Jeff Farmer Mark Jackson Winston Abraham
R: Nic Naitanui Garry Ablett jnr Jason Akermanis
INT: Brian Wilson, Alex 'you beauty' Jezza, Gary Ablett snr, Tony Modra

Was actually really difficult, so many more players you want to add but there's just no room for. Threw Ben Graham in the team because his 70m kicks were truly something to behold

as some have noted - would have to have mark jackson, capper, and muir. I'd thow in pluggger for sure - always interesting to see if he'd accidentally kill someone. and whilst on the saints - stevie baker! may even add Libba so we could watch a feral animal biting and scratching his opponents.

Watching Tony Modra on Open Mike last night got me thinking of the most entertaining players I have seen - whether due to high-flying acrobatics (Modra, Ablett), freakish goal sense (Daicos, Akermanis), sublime skill (D. Jarman, Hird), comic appearance (J. Madden) or cult figure status (Richardson, Wiedemann).

Here's my 22 based on players I've seen (started watching footy in the early 90s). What's yours?

FB: Gavin Wanganeen ¦ Stephen Silvagni ¦ Ang Christou ("WOOF!")
HB: Tadhg Kennely ¦ Glenn Archer ¦ Andrew McLeod

C: Peter Matera ¦ Darren Jarman ¦ Michael Long
R: Justin Madden ¦ Chris Judd ¦ James Hird

HF: Jason Akermanis ¦ Matthew Richardson ¦ Lance Franklin
FF: Tony Modra ¦ Gary Ablett Sr. ¦ Peter Daicos

Bench: Steve Johnson ¦ Brett Burton ¦ Clive Waterhouse ¦ Wayne Wiedemann

Throw in a Allen Jackovich and Ashley Sampi

Centre half back seem very very odd ?

Melbourne have been blessed with a stack of entertaining forwards over the years. Jeff Farmer, Aaron Davey, Russell Robertson, Alan Jackovic, Jeremy Howe, Liam Jurrah, Mark wacko' Jackson, even Shaun Smith.

That said my 22 would look something like this

B: Gavin Wanganeen Leo Barry Bruce Doull
HB: Dermott Brereton Matthew Scarlett Michael Long
C: Byron Pickett Chris Judd Wawrick Capper
HF: Allan Jakovich Ben Graham Liam Jurrah
F: Jeff Farmer Mark Jackson Winston Abraham
R: Nic Naitanui Garry Ablett jnr Jason Akermanis
INT: Brian Wilson, Alex 'you beauty' Jezza, Gary Ablett snr, Tony Modra

Was actually really difficult, so many more players you want to add but there's just no room for. Threw Ben Graham in the team because his 70m kicks were truly something to behold

Got to find a place for Peter Matera.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_406415-kevin-sheedy.jpg

Surely Sheeds coaches this team, absolute nutter of a coach, but added a lot of colour and flair to the game, kinda reckon Essendon lost a bit of its soul since they sacked him (although he probably stayed there 3 years too long)

Trevor Barker has a pretty good highlight reel.

Michael Mitchell and someone else I think have won both goal and mark of the year in the same year.

Repeat the calls for A. Jackovich (for a few years there he would have been the most entertaining of the 90s I would say) and also Darryl White, Daniel Motlop, Melbourne-era Jeff Farmer and Byron Pickett.

Surprised Paul Kelly hasn't gotten a mention. He was very exciting in his heyday.

And then I'll throw in a massive smokey - also from the 90s Swans. Wade Chapman. Guy didn't play very long, but he was incredibly reckless and it made for great viewing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back