Opinion Most Improved for Season 2012/2013

Remove this Banner Ad

How about a slightly different question.

Who do you think we need to improve to be in contention?

Personally I think Watson needs to lift and secure FB. He showed some decent signs in body on body contest but was pretty poor when his forward went on the lead.

Also it would be really useful if one of our young forwards became a real power forward of the comp kicking 50-60 goals. Right now I think the most likely candidate is Levi but I wouldn't be surprised if Hammer fills that spot.

Pretty sure Malthouse has already indicated Watson will be given a good go at it. Likened him to how he gace Reid a go. He should have played more games last year. Got dropped when in form. Reckon he will play majority of games. 3 defensive talls in Jamo/Hendo/Watson will be good.

In regards to a young forward to kick 50-60, definetly asking too much. What did the leading goal kicker kick this year? 70odd? I would be happy with a Mitchell kicking 30 goals and playing 15+ games.

Pretty sure Malthouse has already indicated Watson will be given a good go at it. Likened him to how he gace Reid a go. He should have played more games last year. Got dropped when in form. Reckon he will play majority of games. 3 defensive talls in Jamo/Hendo/Watson will be good.

In regards to a young forward to kick 50-60, definetly asking too much. What did the leading goal kicker kick this year? 70odd? I would be happy with a Mitchell kicking 30 goals and playing 15+ games.

You're probably right on setting my expectations too high for a young forward, interested why you picked out Mitchell though. I know he's highly regarded but do you think he'll get that much game time assuming Levi and Hampson are healthy?

If MM plays those 3 do you see Laidler being in the side aswel?

You're probably right on setting my expectations too high for a young forward, interested why you picked out Mitchell though. I know he's highly regarded but do you think he'll get that much game time assuming Levi and Hampson are healthy?

Yeah picked mitchell because he probably would have played round 1 last year if not for injury. From all reports has a real presence. Hopefully with a full pre-season, he can inprove his agility and repeat leads work. Think he has a real ability to play that major fwd role.

Hampson i dont see as a key fwd, doesnt do enough. As for levi, he could take mitchell's place. I just think mitchell is more a natural and better kick. Levi's ability to play ruck adds to his ability, just needs to improve his kicking

I was pleasantly surprised at McLean's improvement this season, I can only guess that he managed to put all his injuries behind him.

As for next season I would LOVE to see Murphy step up again and Watson to respond to Micks tutelage and improve a further ten fold!

I wouldn't be completly against having Laidler, Hendo, Jamo, + Watson.

Laidler is good enough to play on the medium sized players. Its who will play the 2 other smaller rolls... Yarran and Duigan? Yarran and Scottland?
On a side note, I think we are going to see a big year from the Yaz man.

I think the hierarchy believe Mitchell is quite immature and will need another season in the 2's with maybe the odd game just to keep him stimulated.
As far as the back half is concerned and the possibilty of Watson getting games I see the back half as this:
BACK: Armfield Watson Jamison
CHB: Diugin Henderson Laidler
This will allow Yarran to go forward with time through the middle. I think in this scenario Gartlett is the one who may have pressure on to perform more consistently. He may be the one to miss out for a while.
I agree with most that McLean did improve significantly. But he is still slow but has grunt. If McLean gets games I think he will be in the centre which will push Gibbs to the wing. Not ideal, as MM wants Gibbs to play more on the ball, but the way MM coaches he will want to have 8 to 10 players going through the middle. So Gibbs could alternate from wing to centre to half back.
On that basis the rest of my selection for the centre line and forwards etc are:
CENTRE: Gibbs McLean Simpson
CHF: Yarran Waite Robertson
FF: Hampson Walker Betts
RUCK: Kruezer. Judd, Murphy
BENCH: White, Touhy, Warnock (Scotland)

The big improvers for 2013 may be: WHITE, KRUEZER & HENDERSON

I just want to see a stand out season ... a break out year from the team ... it seems to happen to everyone else except us.

I think we do not put enough credit in what the dark years did to a lot of our players. The thing that frustrates me is we do have the talent on the list to make top 4 ... we just need some sort of spark that we just have not got up to this point.

The last couple of years injuries have really taken their toll ... and I would like to see a decent year, where we have a kind run ... just get rid of that excuse.

I really think MM's philosophy on the game will help the players immensely. I liked Ratten but now that he is gone I just cannot shake the feeling that there was something not quite right with his tenure ... all I hope is that the team turns up week in week out, that there are no passengers and that the team starts to plat to its potential.

Do you think MM is licking his lips?

I think yes ... he really has a lot to play with ... hopefully most of it stays on the park for a change!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the hierarchy believe Mitchell is quite immature and will need another season in the 2's with maybe the odd game just to keep him stimulated.

The big improvers for 2013 may be: WHITE, KRUEZER & HENDERSON

Intrigued. What do you mean by immature?

I can't see him having been primed for a 2012 start before injury, yet now he is considered to be immature.
Interesting listening to Hughes who always seems to get excited when he mentions the name Mitchell, although I can't be a little concerned for some of the expectations we seem to have imposed upon him.

Personally I would love Yarran and Gibbs to both step up and be in the All Australian Team 2013. Gbatman has got it right if Casboult and Watson step up.

I can remember EP posting something about the club not believing he has the required bulk yet so you are probably right.

Definitely has enough bulk IMO. He and Rowe are very solid units. Think Mitchell's problem might have more to do with fitness, or lack thereof.

Most improved player season 2012 - Bell by a country mile. He went from being among the best in some league in Queensland to being a real contributor in an AFL side. (McLean only went from being among the best for us in the VFL to among the best for us in the AFL.)

Most improved player season 2013 - Bell. I expect him to go from being a real contributor to a real Wayne Harmes-like game breaker.

Would it not be better to develop Watson as our FB and leave Henderson as our CHB! IMO, we have significant options already for our CHF / FF combo without adding Henderson to that mix (even though he would fit in there easily, imo I would prefer a settled back line, which he offers).

Something like this:
B: Jamison, Watson, Laidler
HB: Duigan, Henderson, Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Back