Opinion Motlop is better than Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's denigrating him at all. We've endured 7 years of commentators ejaculating over every possession he gets, but here are some simple facts:

- He's never averaged more than 17.3 touches a game in any one season. Wasn't so long ago he was going to be as good a midfielder as Ablett (apparently, or rather, hilariously).
- For an apparently elite small forward, he's never averaged 2 goals a game.
- He's only kicked 30 goals in a season once; with 39 in 2012.
- From 2010 to 2013, his average disposals per game actually went down every year (by comparison, Motlop's have leapt up every year since he started, and even with his slow start in 2014 they have continued that this season). Rioli has played 132 games now; his training wheels are long gone.

So "denigrating" to me is simply assessing him fairly and objectively. He's a good solid small forward. And that's it.
Although I have never rated Cyril as high as Bruce... Which isn't possible, your assessment seems pretty accurate.

I find it hard to justify the lofty heights some commentators hold him in, his injury concerns just simply have curtailed his career somewhat, and seem to be becoming more frequent

I've long held the opinion that
commentators, not all, but most of them, are seduced by his flashy brilliance, which is exactly that... brilliant, those things that only Cyril can do.

For me this is a major contributor in the media's continued overrating of Cyril, as he clearly doesn't do it often enough to justify the lofty position they hold him in, but still Bruce and his cohorts haven't sucked me in.

Ultimately though I'm not overly concerned about trying to compare motlop to Cyril, or to any other player for that matter.

I get immense enjoyment out of watching Motlop develop into a key cog in our team, as I do with his 21 teammates

Last edited:
Matthews asked Motlop last week 'when was the last time you kicked it on your left foot"
"I don't have a left foot" :D
Wish he did.

I reckon he snapped at least one goal at Kardinia on his left though last year or the year before. Maybe 20 metres or so out. Not a confident kick but it got there all the same.

Someone on the main board once started a thread about players who are so overrated they become underrated.
Basically, they are hyped up so much in the media, disproportionately to their output/actions, that the general fans react against that and begin to disparage them disproportionately to their output/actions. Cyril being a perfect example.
(Although perhaps not in equal measure ;) ).

I may be a Geelong supporter but I would honestly take Motlop every day of the week. He's a match-winner, who does special things consistently, a speedster who gut-runs.

Wish he did.

I reckon he snapped at least one goal at Kardinia on his left though last year or the year before. Maybe 20 metres or so out. Not a confident kick but it got there all the same.

You do wonder how players can get through to the top level now without being able to kick on both feet at least extremely competently.

Yeah I think his ability to weave his way out of traffic or that initial burst of speed to get clear most times allows him to get onto his right boot. I reckon I have seen him snap a few goals on the left before but I guess he is one of the best with that checkside kick and he feels most comfortable using it.
"I don't have a left foot".... haha, that's gold.

Motlop has really lifted off lately in his ability to get a lot of the ball. If he can continue to get 25+ possessions per game some special things will happen

Motlop is great. Talented-has many skills, works hard and has a great attitude that he maintains throughout the whole of a game.
Cyril can be good too but Brucey is so over the top that it is hard to take. I hope Bruce ignores Motlop for many years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25+ disposals comparison?

Motlop - 7 in 61 games.
Rioli - 6 in 132.

Only 2 of Cyril's 25+ possession games were in his first 61 games though.

Last edited:
Top 5 picked.
At any club other than gold coast.
Selwood
Hawkins
Johnson
Taylor
Motlop
Stokes
Duncan
Christensen

Franklin
Kennedy
Jack
Hannebery
McVeigh
Jetta

Hell, he wouldn't even be top 5 at Hawthorn!

Mitchell
Burgoyne
Roughead
Gunston
Breust
Hodge

Ok, top 5 might be too high :)
Put it this way "he's in the do not blink at MC" category.
At every club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back