Business & Finance Moving Out Of Home Tips And Tricks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yes. This is a good one.

Be aware of the flatmate's freeloading GF/BF.
Yeah agree. It was the cause of the only occasion I moved out of a place due to house mates. Was nothing personal, but yet another person sharing 1 bathroom, 1 kitchen, etc in an already fullish house without paying anything was not good.

I did also live in one place where there was a couple but I came into it knowing that and was no problem really.

A bloke in my first sharehouse, a good dude actually, had a girlfriend who lived a few bus stops away and would always be over. I never hated it at all. She never ate anyone's food, I never heard them shag, and they mostly sat in his room or hung around on the verandah or in the lounge. I guess it comes to down to experiences but if the girlfriend or boyfriend is an alright person, it won't be an issue – like most things.

She worked in the corporate boxes at Subi too, so she'd always have some interesting coke and slob stories.

When I moved back to Australia I lived with an old school friend who owned a flat, and he was the biggest slob I have ever met. I was in hospital for ten days once and when I got home the dishes that were in the sink when I left were still there. Good thing that he was such a sweet dude and charged me bugger all rent.

It has been said, but just do never ever be passive aggressive/snarky by leavibg notes or putting their dirty dishes in their room etc.

Have to just be the bigger person and ask if you can have a discussion
So much this. Probably the worst thing you can do in a share house.

You're going to be annoyed by little things other people do, and they will be annoyed by the little things you do. Just talk about it, it's so much better than notes.

I decided after my current housemate that I don't want live with someone who was moving out for the first time again. Even if they're relatively tidy people, they just tend to lack a full understanding of what is necessary to take care of a house.

Current housemate is a classic case. He mostly keeps the kitchen and bathroom tidy enough, picks up his clothes, runs a vacuum over the place. But the less obvious stuff like dusting or scrubbing the oven or weeding the back courtyard just don't even register on his radar.

Usually when I actually point it out he'll do it, but I get sick of being his life teacher. Call me selfish but next time I want someone housetrained.

It has been said, but just do never ever be passive aggressive/snarky by leavibg notes or putting their dirty dishes in their room etc.

Have to just be the bigger person and ask if you can have a discussion

When I was sharing with people a couple of years ago, I had a housemate leave me a snarky note telling me not to go in their room and collect dirty dishes. Fair enough, I can understand their need for privacy, but we had three people living there, only six plates in the house, one was dirty in the sink, and all the others I eventually deduced (as there was nowhere else in the house they could be) that they were sitting in a dirty pile in their room, along with a bunch of dirty cutlery. Kind of felt justified, as me washing the dishes allowed this housemate to walk right in after work and eat their dinner straight away with clean plates and cutlery.

I lived with a dude who was 30+ and not housetrained. I half expected it from a 19 year old girl I lived with previously, but someone who is 30+? Jesus.

I have my own place now and am happy to leave dishes overnight etc. but the kitchen still needs to be properly cleaned regularly. Put everything away, wipe the benchtops, sweep and mop the floor etc. People who just quickly wash the dishes they used then leave them on the drying rack and think everthing else just happens can eat a dick.

Don't share bathrooms with boys.
Don't worry about incidental costs, my housemate buys things sometimes, I buy things other times. I usually feel obliged to pay and we have arguments over it because we both want to cover the cost of dinner.

As long as my stuff if clean I don't care much about the rest of the house, as long as any parties see the whole house get a super spring clean before.

Moved out of home for the first time this year, from a small country town to Melbourne. Some things I have noticed:

-Be prepared to put up with late night noise from other housemates, however if it is 2am piano/guitar playing like I've had to endure, you're well within your rights to send him a text or knock on his door.
-Don't hog fridge/freezer space with big, clunky things. Current housemate (one aforementioned) has four frozen half-loaves of bread in our freezer right now, which makes putting other stuff in there nearly impossible.
-If the dishes are dirty and you have nothing to do, just do them. Others will appreciate it. Washing your stuff directly after use is also good, saves piling things up in the sink.
-Try to clean up a little before you start eating the dinner you've cooked. The same housemate I've alluded to cooked a massive curry or something the other week and left it sitting on the stove occupying most of the room. This was at 6.30-7.00pm, prime time for getting your nightly feed prepared. Easy to solve by moving the pots and pans but found it fairly inconsiderate.
-Leaving notes is probably not the best way to go about things. I did once, when there were absolutely no plates or bowls to be seen in the cupboards. Another housemate had been piling them up in his room, getting clean ones regularly instead of washing ones he already has. Had to leave a note as he gets home very late at night, usually when I'm in bed asleep, and I'm usually gone by the time he wakes up in the morning.
-On this, never leave dishes in your room. Rude and disgusting especially when it's piled up.
-If you've stopped watching the telly or leaving your room for a while, turn it/lights off.
-Don't take forever in the shower. Best mate who I also live with has 20 minute showers every day.
-If going to toilet or whatever late at night or early in morning, don't slam any doors, just gently close them. Fairly simple stuff but housemate who plays music late at night doesn't seem to understand this.
-Get your own clotheshorse too. Don't use others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are introverted a good trick is to have a couple of empty plastic bottles in your bedroom at all times, at least a bottle each. Sometimes you won't feel like talking to your housemates and they'll be bogarting the lounge. no matter how much entertainment you have in your bedroom, it's attrition and you'll have to come out eventually if only to use the bathroom. Unless you have these empty plastic bottles.

Wait it out til they go to bed then go out and make a sandwich or have a shower or whatever you need to do. Don't worry they probably wont mention anything the next day, and even if they do just say you were feeling crook or sleepy. Oh and don't forget to get rid of the bottles as it is embarrassing when you have to explain what the liquid is and why you do it

I decided after my current housemate that I don't want live with someone who was moving out for the first time again. Even if they're relatively tidy people, they just tend to lack a full understanding of what is necessary to take care of a house.

Current housemate is a classic case. He mostly keeps the kitchen and bathroom tidy enough, picks up his clothes, runs a vacuum over the place. But the less obvious stuff like dusting or scrubbing the oven or weeding the back courtyard just don't even register on his radar.

Usually when I actually point it out he'll do it, but I get sick of being his life teacher. Call me selfish but next time I want someone housetrained.

I'm sorry what. Yes something as heavy duty as an oven needs to be kept free of fire hazzards and clean but some go stupid with it and are obsessive about cleanliness. Ovens are used often and will hardly look new. It is not obvious for a reason. (Not saying you or an individual does this but it triggered memories that some people are borderline obsessive over houses without realising they are a place to live and relax not some monster or project that needs constant taming/maintenance).

I would only bother cleaning the oven when rental inspection is coming up

Stove top = often

Oven shouldn't be too dirty that it needs to be cleaned regularly imo. Unless you do a lot of roasting/baking.

-If the dishes are dirty and you have nothing to do, just do them. Others will appreciate it. Washing your stuff directly after use is also good, saves piling things up in the sink.
-Try to clean up a little before you start eating the dinner you've cooked. The same housemate I've alluded to cooked a massive curry or something the other week and left it sitting on the stove occupying most of the room. This was at 6.30-7.00pm, prime time for getting your nightly feed prepared. Easy to solve by moving the pots and pans but found it fairly inconsiderate.

You get through a lot more washing detergent if you wash up all the time, but it saves so much time and also fights. Just everyone saves 3-4 minutes to clean stuff after they've eaten and cooked, and then no one ever gets annoyed and there's always stuff to use.

If you are going to wash up all your s**t straight away then at least dry it, put it away and leave the general area clean.

Used to s**t me when someone would cook themselves something at 5.30 in the arvo then just leave wet dishes next to the sink when I got home at 6 or so.

'Clean as you go' is good, but people have a nasty habit of doing the bare minimum and expecting someone else to clean up properly and put everything away.

If it's being used regularly I would want the oven cleaned every couple of months or so. If you leave it much longer stuff gets baked on and it becomes a massive chore. Same goes for stuff like weeding, cleaning gutters, etc. Take care of it regularly and it's not a massive issue.

People who skive off regular home cleaning piss me off. It's a place to relax, definitely - so don't make me relax in a mess.

If it's being used regularly I would want the oven cleaned every couple of months or so. If you leave it much longer stuff gets baked on and it becomes a massive chore. Same goes for stuff like weeding, cleaning gutters, etc. Take care of it regularly and it's not a massive issue.

People who skive off regular home cleaning piss me off. It's a place to relax, definitely - so don't make me relax in a mess.

Yeah I'm with earlier poster that said this kind of stuff is ahead of rental insepction only - borderline get a clenaer or gardner in to do it.

Don't know if I've ever cleaned my oven, can't remember doing so. That being said I rarely use it, it's a piece of s**t oven and is being turfed in the next few weeks when I put a new one in.

I maintain a pretty good lawn but don't really worry about weeds in the garden beds too much over winter as I don't really have any good plants anyway. One day if I have more time I might get the garden better set up but it's not something I have a passion for. Gutters I check once a year and clean out if necessary (only one tree that really overhangs part of the roof so they don't tend to block badly) otherwise they will overflow on the 3 days a year we get all of our rain. Dusting I'm a bit lazy with but I have some timber furniture so if you leave it too long it starts to look like something out of an Egyptian tomb.

Do you own the place and rent rooms out to others?

Things like this you should agree on at the start of the lease with both the landlord and your housemates.

Landlord or another housemate told me i'd be devoting a couple of hours a month weeding the garden and scrubbing the oven I wouldn't be moving in. That said I live in an apartment where I have used the oven probably 5 times since I moved in and have no backyard.

I think the obsessively clean types are just as terrible to live with as a the lazy messy types.

Yeah it's my place.

I charge proportional rent based on the notional rental value of the property. I take care of everything a landlord ordinarily would, but the flipside is that I expect them to contribute to keeping the place up to standard.

Stuff like gutters I guess is up to debate, but stuff like weeding / sweeping / washing windows / cleaning ovens would be expected of any tenant.

If they don't want to do that, I'll probably bump up the rent accordingly.

If you are introverted a good trick is to have a couple of empty plastic bottles in your bedroom at all times, at least a bottle each. Sometimes you won't feel like talking to your housemates and they'll be bogarting the lounge. no matter how much entertainment you have in your bedroom, it's attrition and you'll have to come out eventually if only to use the bathroom. Unless you have these empty plastic bottles.

Wait it out til they go to bed then go out and make a sandwich or have a shower or whatever you need to do. Don't worry they probably wont mention anything the next day, and even if they do just say you were feeling crook or sleepy. Oh and don't forget to get rid of the bottles as it is embarrassing when you have to explain what the liquid is and why you do it
I was using empty stubbies for a while when my worst housemates had their worst friends over (aka 18-22 year olds who still played spotlight and talked about kisses like they were a man getting the Italiano from four girls...). My lowest ebb. I would have showers at weird times and get up really early or shower at lunch time to avoid them and their shocking small talk. I couldn't leave but if you're in such a situation, that's a sign you should piss off out of there.

Yeah it's my place.

I charge proportional rent based on the notional rental value of the property. I take care of everything a landlord ordinarily would, but the flipside is that I expect them to contribute to keeping the place up to standard.

Stuff like gutters I guess is up to debate, but stuff like weeding / sweeping / washing windows / cleaning ovens would be expected of any tenant.

If they don't want to do that, I'll probably bump up the rent accordingly.

In my experience this is at the more extreme/fussy end of day-to-day/week-to-week requirements of a tennant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back