Game Day [NAB Challenge] Round 1 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Well our second string midfield is still comfortably better than Brisbane's second stringers - that is about all I took out of that.
2MP is ahead of Sammy Day for the second tall forward.
Touk, Jesse, Rosa, Sexton, Hall in for round 1. Currie a shot.

Matt Rosa left the field after the game with an iced ankle. Didn't look too serious though

Well not the greatest game to watch, but hey, at least footy is back, kinda! Would have been good if that wind wasn't so awful, but lets be honest, we probably would have missed most of those shots anyway.
Not a lot to read into but a few thoughts from the game:

liked the games from: Lonergan (looks much better with the slimmer frame), AHall, Touk, Rosa, May/Thompson, Darcy Mac. (could be another gem), Nicholls (although only against a rookie)

Negatives: Day V Wright - give the points to Wright but not impressed by either, our forward entries still horrible - too crowded and just bombing it in, goalkicking (still), can't seem to kill off the ball when its deep in defense - just punch it through rather then try to keep it in play, Malceski still doesn't look great.

Bring on Round 1 already!

Well not the greatest game to watch, but hey, at least footy is back, kinda! Would have been good if that wind wasn't so awful, but lets be honest, we probably would have missed most of those shots anyway.
Not a lot to read into but a few thoughts from the game:

liked the games from: Lonergan (looks much better with the slimmer frame), AHall, Touk, Rosa, May/Thompson, Darcy Mac. (could be another gem), Nicholls (although only against a rookie)

Negatives: Day V Wright - give the points to Wright but not impressed by either, our forward entries still horrible - too crowded and just bombing it in, goalkicking (still), can't seem to kill off the ball when its deep in defense - just punch it through rather then try to keep it in play, Malceski still doesn't look great.

Bring on Round 1 already!

Wouldn't read in to a NAB game that deeply. Forward line was crowded cos we ran with 3 key forwards, a third tall and 2 rucks as well as the small. They were all going up for it. Will look a lot better with just Lynch and Wright (who I thought worked hard and got better as the game wore on). Day was putrid and should be banished to the NEAFL in round one.

Standouts..

Darcy Mac... wow. I'd almost have him at half forward for round one.

Lonergan, Hall, Miller, Rosa, May, Cameron, Lynch, Nicholls

I've got to say Wright tried very hard and pressured the opposition if we didn't have it and Cameron as the third tall forward played fairly well so start either him or Grant first round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awful, but NAB 1 so eh.

My only concern is the bombing it into forward 50. I don't think we picked out a target all day in 50 outside of the final 10mins.

I hope this was just to use the wind and take advantage of their smaller backs. We go inside 50 like that against anyone else and we'll never score.

Awful, but NAB 1 so eh.

My only concern is the bombing it into forward 50. I don't think we picked out a target all day in 50 outside of the final 10mins.

I hope this was just to use the wind and take advantage of their smaller backs. We go inside 50 like that against anyone else and we'll never score.
Funnily enough, the final 10 minutes was the only time that there was little to no wind. Perhaps that's a good thing.

You'll never wind that vicious inside an AFL ground except maybe at Kardinia.

A lot of hate for Sam Day today, and he was pitiful, but I wonder if this has hurt him over the journey. It's pretty much been our modus operandi delivering inside fifty since inception.

He's absolutely a confidence player and never had the consistency of delivery. It hasn't mattered for competitive beasts like Lynch (or Dixon), but I think Sam would have (or could still) been better served at an established club with a more polished midfield.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back