Nathan Fyfe v Scott Pendlebury

????

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You are, there's a huge gap between gaz and the next best player, but after that it's close. You can't tell me after last nights game that Pendles is in a different league to Fyfe, because it would be a blatant lie.

Please, it's called an opinion, and it's one that obviously upsets you and your purple bias. It's no insult to Fyfe to say that he's not yet in the same category as Pendlebury. For mine, it's Ablett a clear first, Pendlebury a clear second, then it's close, and that 3rd rung is the level where I put Fyfe. What seperates Pendlebury from the pack for me is his sheer class, and the way he's able to work his way through traffic, remain composed, and still deliver lace out passes to team mates even when being pressured by multiple opponents. He's pretty much the best in the business at that.

In 2010 Pendlebury stopped being a gun youngster, instead proving that he was one of the best handful of players in the comp outright. He polled over 20 votes in the Brownlow for the first time, and you couldn't follow the game in that year without realising he was something special.

Fyfe is doing that now. He would have to be the most valuable player in the comp with his combination of ability and age. I thought GWS should have offered pick 1 and 2 for him last year, and for all I know Freo might have knocked that back.

Clearances - equal
Goal kicking - about equal, maybe just Fyfe
Defensive side - Pendles by far
Marking - Fyfe by far
Kicking - Pendles by a lot
Handballing - Pendles by a lot
Dealing with a tag - well Pendles gets them in 100% of games for the last 4 or so years and Fyfe gets one about half the time.

Pendles has some distance on him at the moment in my opinion, but i also think that Pendles will be the best player in the history of our club so theres no shame in being 2nd to him.

Pendles is a great handballer due to his vision and game sense but I think Fyfe is a great handballer as well. Pendles might have great vision but Fyfe's ability to make an effective handball when getting tackled is amazing. I'd still give it to Pendlebury but not "by far".

Also not sure how you have marked "defensive side". Fyfe is usually one of our first back when defending a counter attack and uses his marking to benefit our team all the time. I'd mark them as equal in this category.

Fyfe has been tagged nearly every game this year and is still usually BOG. Teams try to stop him but he usually outworks them by the 4th quarter.

Pendles is a great handballer due to his vision and game sense but I think Fyfe is a great handballer as well. Pendles might have great vision but Fyfe's ability to make an effective handball when getting tackled is amazing. I'd still give it to Pendlebury but not "by far".

Also not sure how you have marked "defensive side". Fyfe is usually one of our first back when defending a counter attack and uses his marking to benefit our team all the time. I'd mark them as equal in this category.

Fyfe has been tagged nearly every game this year and is still usually BOG. Teams try to stop him but he usually outworks them by the 4th quarter.
Yeah Fyfe is not a bad handballer at all but i consider handballing to be Pendlebury's best attribute and i think along with Watson he is the best handballer in the game.

Yeah Fyfe can take a good intercept mark but Pendles is our only really defensive midfielder he often has to stay defensive side of the stoppage and sacrifice his own game. He also takes his fair share of intercept marks and is always first back to guard the dangerous space, makes up for Swan and Beams not being able to defend to save there lives.

Pendlebury has been tagged in all games this year and Fyfe has been tagged in 9/17.

Yeah Fyfe is not a bad handballer at all but i consider handballing to be Pendlebury's best attribute and i think along with Watson he is the best handballer in the game.

Yeah Fyfe can take a good intercept mark but Pendles is our only really defensive midfielder he often has to stay defensive side of the stoppage and sacrifice his own game. He also takes his fair share of intercept marks and is always first back to guard the dangerous space, makes up for Swan and Beams not being able to defend to save there lives.

Pendlebury has been tagged in all games this year and Fyfe has been tagged in 9/17.

Not sure where your stats are coming from but Fyfe didn't play in all 17 games prior to this round, he missed a couple of games due to suspension. So it would be 9/15. Where are those numbers from if you don't mind me asking? I actually can only think of 1 or 2 games where he wasn't tagged.

Also re defense, I don't think Ross would let any of our players cheat without the ball, that's why we are so hard to score against (well up until last 2 weeks).

Anyway mute points, both good players, Pendles has been a champion for 5 seasons and Fyfe has only just moved into the elite category in the last year. If Fyfe has a career like Pendlebury then I will not be complaining!

Not sure where your stats are coming from but Fyfe didn't play in all 17 games prior to this round, he missed a couple of games due to suspension. So it would be 9/15. Where are those numbers from if you don't mind me asking? I actually can only think of 1 or 2 games where he wasn't tagged.

Also re defense, I don't think Ross would let any of our players cheat without the ball, that's why we are so hard to score against (well up until last 2 weeks).

Anyway mute points, both good players, Pendles has been a champion for 5 seasons and Fyfe has only just moved into the elite category in the last year. If Fyfe has a career like Pendlebury then I will not be complaining!
Yeah we are up to round 19 so i didn't add the suspension games, just off fan footy they are quite tight when it comes to tags, injuries, possible suspensions.. etc. I use it to help me as a guide for stats in my articles(studying sports journalism).

Yeah all your mids do defend, maybe saying Pendlebury by far was incorrect but just Pendlebury by a bit because his game is built around defence and has to defend for our whole bloody midfield.

Agree, both will win a brownlow in my opinion.

I don't want to argue but I agree Pendles was the 2nd best player at the start of the year. I have watched Pendlebury very closely this season and I think it has easily been his poorest season in quite some time.
I agree with that. Pendlebury still an overall better player at the moment IMO though. Just had an off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with that. Pendlebury still an overall better player at the moment IMO though. Just had an off season.

not really. His numbers haven't altered from his career averages it's just that his team have bottomed out in recent seasons and he's subsequently unable to get the freebies he was getting when Swan, Thomas and Ball were at the top of their games.

not really. His numbers haven't altered from his career averages it's just that his team have bottomed out in recent seasons and he's subsequently unable to get the freebies he was getting when Swan, Thomas and Ball were at the top of their games.
Yet he is still averaging more contested possesions than your lovechild Selwood...

He isn't playing anywhere near as well this season, I don't care what the stats say. The only game I can think of where he has been fantastic was the Sydney game

Right now it's Fyfe, but Pendles has the runs on the board over many years, so overall you'd have to go Pendles at this point. However, I do reckon Fyfe is going to wind up having the better career though, so I voted for him anyway, admittedly influenced by having just watched him drag his team over the line against my mob.

Fyfe is a great player, as is Pendles but I have to give it to Pendles.
Yes I may be a tad bias and watch more Pies games but watching him is like watching Moses, the seas just seem to part for him.
I am yet to see a player that makes time slow down like he does.

There can't be any 'easily' or by a mile. You are talking about two top 10's
Pendles just for me. Fyfe closing in as his year has been slightly superior. Both will be AA mids, so the Pendles having a poor year comments are stupid.

There can't be any 'easily' or by a mile. You are talking about two top 10's
Pendles just for me. Fyfe closing in as his year has been slightly superior. Both will be AA mids, so the Pendles having a poor year comments are stupid.
The fact that people are saying Pendles is a poor year should be proof that Pendlebury is the better player. I mean Pendlebury is still in the top 5 mids this year, but he's having a poor year.

Back