Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks good. Me likey.

Yeah what I really am impressed most about him, is his ability to kick the ball extremely well at full speed, that's a big plus. Great reading of the ball and strong hands in to the contest too. Next Grant Birchall?

Yeah what I really am impressed most about him, is his ability to kick the ball extremely well at full speed, that's a big plus. Great reading of the ball and strong hands in to the contest too. Next Grant Birchall?
Speed, tenacity, left foot, character and 2nd BOG Tac cup GF... Good mix but a bit inbetween our first 2 picks unfort

Live chat: (i'll just paraphrase the Qs)

Who will Essendon take with 17?

I think there's a bunch of clubs with some interest in Marchbank, including GWS, Freo, Adelaide, North Melbourne and Carlton. Essendon would be another one, but my feeling is they will go for midfield types, with Tom Lamb (a forward/mid) another possibility for them.

Will Hugh Goddard be there at 14?

There's a chance Hugh will be there, but if GWS doesn't take him I'd expect Geelong and Fremantle to both consider him strongly. Sam Durdin is a versatile tall that could be there at their pick, Kyle Langford is one more. Durdin looks more comfortable back and Langford is more of a third tall forward who could also go back or end up playing as a tall wingman type. I think everyone pretty much agrees on the group of players around the top 30, it's just that recruiters would rate the individual players quite differently. It's an even group so hopefully there are a few good surprises on the night.

That's it basically. She answered about 6 questions...

I heard at the draft combine the adelaide contingent spent the most amount of time talking to Tom Lamb. Could mean they are keen, could just mean they were doing their due diligence with a player who's only knocks are above the shoulders.

I heard at the draft combine the adelaide contingent spent the most amount of time talking to Tom Lamb. Could mean they are keen, could just mean they were doing their due diligence with a player who's only knocks are above the shoulders.

Has the potential to be an absolute gun if he can get his head straight, tall, quick, agile, low penetrating kick. Just has the Jared Brennan's about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could qualify as our bolter

Do posters in here think that Walshy would have some inside knowledge of who the Power were thinking of selecting in this years draft? Especially given he obviously came over to us, late this year.
Port don't have any early picks ... & also have different needs to us, so can't see how it would be any significant advantage.

Port don't have any early picks ... & also have different needs to us, so can't see how it would be any significant advantage.

The recruitment process would have been going on all year, long before they knew they wouldn't be in the first 2 rounds and for the first pick Noble has said we will pick talent before needs, port would probably be the same, so info on who they wanted and what they learnt about certain players would be useful, but having said that Walsh probably wasn't involved in any recruitment meetings unless Ken was unable to make them and sent Walsh to take notes for him.

My guess is port wanted Cockatoo, he came out saying he wanted to play for port and did a photo shoot with the Port Guernsey. I would bet he did this under the guidance of port hoping it would help him slide to their first pick when they still had one.

Emma Quayle had this to say in response to a question re Adelaide's pick 14;
  • Hi Emma.

As a Crows support do you think that Hugh Goddard will get to pick 14? As we need a fullback to replace CHB to replace Rutten as Talia could go to Full back.

As for the rest it doesn't really matter but are there any interesting surprises in the higher draft picks?

Commenter
    Charles

Date and time
    November 25, 2014, 11:23AM

• Hi Charles. There's a chance Hugh will be there, but if GWS doesn't take him I'd expect Geelong and Fremantle to both consider him strongly. Sam Durdin is a versatile tall that could be there at their pick, Kyle Langford is one more. Durdin looks more comfortable back and Langford is more of a third tall forward who could also go back or end up playing as a tall wingman type. I think everyone pretty much agrees on the group of players around the top 30, it's just that recruiters would rate the individual players quite differently. It's an even group so hopefully there are a few good surprises on the night.

Commenter
      Emma Quayle

November 25, 2014, 12:12PM

• Hi Charles, Goddard is a rough chance to be there at 14. I think he may go to GWS or that Geelong or Fremantle would look at him. Other defenders - Jake Lever or Caleb Marchbank - could be around at that pick. This year's group seems very even, and talking to the recruiters there are a number of players they're very divided on. So I'm sure there will be some good surprises on the night.

Commenter
      Emma Quayle

November 25, 2014, 1:01PM

Hardly. A good reminder that not everyone leaps straight into pessimism and assumed incompetence when it comes to the club

They took a risk that looks smarter with every day.
It is not about leaping into pessimism, it's assessing a decision made by the club and forming your own opinion on it, one that doesn't start with "I back the club no matter the decision".

What I posted this morning about Roos comments indicates he is also assessing the move.

As for looking like a smart move, I hope like hell it pays off, but let's wait and see wait happens before we start back slapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back