Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Stats :
60% of Outside players selected in the first round FAIL

20% of inside players who hunt their own ball selected in the first round FAIL

High Risk selecting a pure outsider ......Cockatoo is inside/out and gets his own ball
Appearing that KPP are dropping down the order ...Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank

With the exception of Freo .......picks 10 to 13 looking for midfielders ...forget bullshit of picking best available , clubs are picking best available in their area of need

Who told you that??

Everything I've seen or heard has his disposal as poor, absolutely no tank, tackle mad but usually too high.....compared to Byron Pickett in that he really tries to hurt people.
Sorry yeah you're right, I was just going off the video and his coach said he's one of the most talented players in the draft.

Obviously not what the scouts are seeing.

Last Stats :

High Risk selecting a pure outsider ......Cockatoo is inside/out and gets his own ball

With the exception of Freo .......picks 10 to 13 looking for midfielders ...forget bullshit of picking best available , clubs are picking best available in their area of need

Defining players as outside or inside is not black and white so those stats might be a bit vague.

Agree though, pure outside runners with next to zero ball winning ability are very high risk. Think that's why menadue is only rated 20 to 30

Defining players as outside or inside is not black and white so those stats might be a bit vague.

Agree though, pure outside runners with next to zero ball winning ability are very high risk. Think that's why menadue is only rated 20 to 30
And highlight reels are just that...Highlights...

3 or 4 minutes of the player's BEST moments out of a whole season of football....

Once Menadue puts more on his 69kg he will be a gun player like Isaac Smith for Hawthorn. I just hope he plays for us.

If there were 2 players of equal value and one was Vic Metro, other from SA, we'd probably go local. But otherwise, you'd hope they wouldn't go for a lesser, just because the better one was VM.

Last Stats :

Where did you get those stats from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who told you that??

Everything I've seen or heard has his disposal as poor, absolutely no tank, tackle mad but usually too high.....compared to Byron Pickett in that he really tries to hurt people.
I wouldnt mind one of those types that was also a serviceable sub to snipe players roughing up dangerfield.

Last Stats :

I'm not sure if the numbers are that high and it's difficult to define 'fail' but it's a theory I do agree with. In general inside mids/mids with an inside game and key position players are the types that translate the best. I'd certainly want a pure outsider to be 'special' before taking them early as they have traditionally been far more high risk types early draft.

Yeah, fair to say I do like the look of Menaude. With the right development team, we could turn him into exactly the type of player we need - a line-breaking utility. Sounds a bit inconsistent, and has a fair bit of development, but he could be worth it.

14. Connor Menadue (VIC – Mid/Def)
Weaknesses:
Relatively lean and inconsistent production – Menadue at this stage while a high impact player when he has the ball, does not accumulate big numbers every game. He can at this stage have his quiet games and more quiet games than you would ideally like. He can also get tagged out of games and with it struggle to find the footy. What I expect will improve:I expect Menadue to continue doing what he does but also put weight onto his frame, to find more of the footy more often and to improve his inside game as he has played much of the past couple of seasons in the back half and will with more time on the ball improve his inside game.

Emma Quayle:
Connor Menadue (Western Jets)
AFL biography: Excellent athlete that uses his pace and running capacity to run and carry the footy and often breaks the lines. A quiet kid by nature that has the ability to play on a range of opponents regardless of size. Averaged 19.6 disposals per game in his 14 matches for the Western Jets. Consistency is his greatest strength.

Same player right? That's the problem with these summaries, very subjective.

Got to say I am finding knightmare's summaries of strengths to be overblown, it's like there are 40 guys that are the next coming. Good on him for the time and effort but finding it hard to buy in.

Emma Quayle:
Connor Menadue (Western Jets)
AFL biography: Excellent athlete that uses his pace and running capacity to run and carry the footy and often breaks the lines. A quiet kid by nature that has the ability to play on a range of opponents regardless of size. Averaged 19.6 disposals per game in his 14 matches for the Western Jets. Consistency is his greatest strength.

Same player right? That's the problem with these summaries, very subjective.

Got to say I am finding knightmare's summaries of strengths to be overblown, it's like there are 40 guys that are the next coming. Good on him for the time and effort but finding it hard to buy in.

Saw his numbers and was going to say, averaging a touch under 20 disposals a game as a skinny outside wingman is not bad at all. Was starting to question this "inconsistent" stuff myself

Just out of interest, who would posters point to as quintessential line breaking outside midfielder with pace that we want the Crows selection to mimic?

The reason I ask is that I can think of only a few good ones, of which they all display inconsistency and fluctuation in form. (A product of their role perhaps?) so off the top of my head L.Jetta, Yarran, Rioli, S.Hill... On reflection the most highly credentialed statistically is I.Smith, with B.Hill not far behind. In pure stats Mackay is about the mark.
A month or two ago in a different thread someone - sorry I can't recall who - made the interesting point that perhaps Charlie Cameron could be our version of Brad Hill and be that line-breaking wingman. From my perspective Mackay's stats don't add up - he's a fair way off the mark off of the top-line wingmen in the comp (Hill, Hill, Smith, et al).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back