New Club Academies - Richmond Zone

Remove this Banner Ad

They would be having to play AFL at a junior level to get picked for an U18 side, this is for identifying kids well before this stage

if it works anything like the NSW acadamies kids will be identified about the age of 12-13 yo. they will possible train with other kids in the acadamies a few times a year and may even play against say another academy. they'll be given the resources etc to stay in the game. Obviously only a few will make it but the idea of retention and finding a few diamonds (Heeney for example) is what the AFL would be after.

am pleased to get the Murray Bushrangers area, apart from Selwoods, Dusty, Wines and Stringer, Bendigo has not really offered much of late.
Well they are building a Mosk in Bendigo.:D

Haven't seen what has come out of the Sydney, GWS & Brisbane academies recently?
This is to open up the same opportunities to all other clubs, not just non-traditional AFL areas.
Yes,But when the state they live in is more Rugby orientated then these leg ups academies serve a purpose(stealing from the enemy).These zones that the afl have put fwd are in states that have a heavy traditional afl backgrounds.
Can't see the benefit to be honest,Just more wasted AFL money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what Mark Evans was saying those kids from under-represented groups who are developed via the academies can attract a draft discount. So basically you identify the talent, be it from a Sudanese or Indigenous community or whatever and you have the option of drafting them.

Think what a Mabs or someone of his ilk would have been like with the development from 12 years on. Scary good. And apparently the Tigers were absolutely stoked with zone area they got and were super positive about the opportunity - more so than any club.

From what Mark Evans was saying those kids from under-represented groups who are developed via the academies can attract a draft discount. So basically you identify the talent, be it from a Sudanese or Indigenous community or whatever and you have the option of drafting them.

Think what a Mabs or someone of his ilk would have been like with the development from 12 years on. Scary good. And apparently the Tigers were absolutely stoked with zone area they got and were super positive about the opportunity - more so than any club.
link

wheres the ****en link to what evans said mate :drunk:

I knew what you meant. Was waiting for you to ask nicely. And because you did in your Groupie way, here it is;

Last edited:
Yes,But when the state they live in is more Rugby orientated then these leg ups academies serve a purpose(stealing from the enemy).These zones that the afl have put fwd are in states that have a heavy traditional afl backgrounds.
Can't see the benefit to be honest,Just more wasted AFL money.

Interesting point you make t_o_o. Maybe the academies serve the purpose of encroachment, more difficult for league etc to develop in these areas? Just thinking out loud....

Hawks with Gippsland , eastern ranges and a slice of the NT

this is too much for them after theyve won the last 3 flags.. i know its just for aborigines and whatever but not like they havent had success from zoning before :drunk:
I live in the eastern ranges catchment area , I honestly can't remember the last indigenous person I saw, so good luck with that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back