Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

It was almost sad watching Manning today. When you get old, often it's just gone, for a while you feel like it'll come back and it's kinda like playing with the flu - you just feel slightly off but you'll get over it soon - then you realise you just got old ...

Time to hang it up Peyton. When it's gone it's gone
I don't know.
Favre was "gone" in 05-06.
Then his 07-09 seasons were great.

I don't know.
Favre was "gone" in 05-06.
Then his 07-09 seasons were great.

Great as description for all those years is a stretch IMO.

And it goes at different times for different guys. Unless Peyton has a fixable injury that's he's been hiding for 6 weeks, he's lost his arm strength which was always a risk given his neck injury.

His comments post game contrast enormously with what he said a month ago. I reckon he knows he's done or at least he knows it if this isn't due to a fixable problem.

Age sucks when it comes to sports but as they say it's never lost. It beats everyone eventually. I've seen nothing since that Pats game that says Peyton is getting past this ... We'll see

Press conference after the game showed a look of I think acceptance of reality. He has not been the same since he got rattled by the Rams.

Will be tragic if he retires. But I'd rather he ends it on good terms rather then say a WHOLE year like the end of this year. But if he turns it around then good on him.

Anyway onto the game at hand this weekend a few things stood out for me from both divisional games just gone.

New England vs Baltimore -

Patriots Pro's -

1. The offensive line did a very good job considering the front they were up against. only 2 sacks allowed while he did have to escape the pocket a few times. The line did give Brady generally the time he needed whether it was a quick release or when he had to drop back.

2. 3rd down defense, 1-9 the Ravens went in the game, Yes the defense was leaky to the run and didn't register a single sack but when it came to crunch plays they got the job done. Especially the goal line stand to force a FG.

3. Special teams did a great job containing Jones who has the ability to burn you for a big run, great job maintaining the lanes and containing him. Thus preventing Baltimore from having short fields to begin a drive.

4. The offence game plan of slinging the ball. I have no problems with us not running ball (I am a little suspect Blount wasnt 100%) But why play into Baltimore's best part of their defense?? Great game planning by BB and JD.

Patriots Con's -

1. PENALTIES, yes there were a couple of questionable penalties but there were also some silly ones. Doesn't take much to shift momentum and a 15 yard pen or an automatic 1st down pen can shift it better then anything else.

2. Defense looked asleep. D-Line got pushed back far to easily and allowed a lot of comfortable running lanes for the Ravens, and little to no pressure applied on Flacco for most of the game.

---------------------

Denver vs Indianapolis -

Colts Pro's -

1. Improved defense that forced pressure on Peyton and very physical on D. A seattle game plan but very well executed by the Colts.

2. O-Line protection. Great job keeping Luck protected and with enough time for the receivers like Hilton, Nicks, Wayne, Fleener etc to beat the coverages and get open for what looked like easy passes.

3. Control the clock. They did a great job at long drives keeping the ball out of Peyton's hands. Helped that even when Denver did get the ball they didn't do too much with it but the less time they have the ball the less chances they have to beat you.

Colts Con's -

1. Luck is still very trigger happy. Throws the ball anywhere when rushed and those 2 interceptions, I don't care if people call them punts it was still 2 terrible decisions by Luck. Against a better secondary such as us those types of force them throws will be easily taken by the defense. Also the fact Luck was forced to throw so many passes means there's more chances for a mistake by him.

2. Still weak against the run despite some key players returning. Denver was still able to establish a solid run game and I am surprised they didn't try and expose it further. Denver basically went 1 dimensional in the second half and didn't have the power back type of players that the Patriots have in Gray and Blount.

-----------------------

Summary + Prediction

IMO Denver was very out performed in this match on both sides of the ball. On defense Talib proved he can't play clutch games like he struggled with in NE. and on offence they were beaten physically and mentally. Forcing Denver to rely on Peyton's arm in the second half and stop running the football.

However I believe this Patriots team is far better team then what Indy faced yesterday and will learn a lot from what they saw yesterday but also the game plans that have seen the Patriots dictate terms when vsing the Colts.

Expect to see a rotating power run game of Blount and Gray provided they are active and healthy. And expect much tighter secondary coverage by our defense then what the Colts got this week in which those rushed throws into tight coverage get batted down or taken away.

Will be a great game regardless but I would be confident BB and co will create another great SITUATIONAL game plan to send us to the SB provided the players of course listen to the message all year of just "DO YOUR JOB".

Patriots to get the job done with at least a 2 score win.

Patriots 35 - Colts 21

He is getting sentimental in his old age.
B7l1J_eCUAEBkqt.jpg:large

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is awesome, I've booked an RDO for the Super Bowl, my first proper one as a fan of a team in it.

So glad I bandwagoned and chose this team.

Last edited:
I'm much more confident now than I was an hour ago. Though I suspect if we're as generous to Seattle early doors as we were to Indy we might be whistling a different tune, possible the same as the Donkeys last year. I still think they start favourite, given we can only win Super Bowls when we cheat :cool:

This thread doesn't lie... looking back to when the Pats were not in the Big Dance... we'll soon find out who has suddenly showering themselves in glory as opposed to those who have been quietly patient but visible on these boards.

Good Luck Feb 2nd. I'll be happy for chosen few who I know are real Pats fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back