New Father Son/Academy Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will soften the trade ban.
If they don't the AFL will be in court defending their restraint of trade scheme. Swans would win the case in a canter.
If you look back to the rugby league case involving Terry Hill ~1990 when he wanted to go to the Magpies but was "drafted" by the Roosters. He went to court and won as the draft is illegal.
Similarly stopping a club from trading is a restraint of trade.
AFL know they will lose but they achieved the desired outcome of halting the Swans of trading this year. That is Patful ended up at the AFL managed Giants rather than the Swans.

As for the Father/Son system which was a rort for many years they have tried to tighten up.
Have a look at what Geelong gave up for Ablett and Scarlett.
Academies will stay but it will mean a tightening of the rules.

In a previous thread on the main board someone had looked back over x years and calculated the probability of a player performing (based on number of games I think). So from my vague memory; pick 1 had a value of about 90 and pick 60 had a value of about 5. The idea proposed was that if say Heeney is rated as pick 3 with a value of 82 then you would need to use the value of your picks (possibly over two years) to 'pay' for him. This would provide a formula for shifting picks as well so maybe your second or third round pick moves up or down. The issue then is how do you come up with a value. Personally I'd go with surveying all the clubs, eliminating the highest two and bottom two, and then averaging the rest.

I suspect they will come up with something like this and I'd rate it as fair.

Mills/Heeney/Dunkely potentially 3 top 10 picks 2 in the top 3 in a club that develops and gets the most out of its players.

In 5yrs time along with Hiscox/Davis we might look back at the 2014-15 draft as being one of our greatest ever and this is what could enable us to have sustained success exciting times.

Mills/Heeney/Dunkely potentially 3 top 10 picks 2 in the top 3 in a club that develops and gets the most out of its players.

In 5yrs time along with Hiscox/Davis we might look back at the 2014-15 draft as being one of our greatest ever and this is what could enable us to have sustained success exciting times.
and this is what gives jelly 5 chins fits. Which is a good thing.

Gil the dill said that they were going to apply this blow your head off mathematical formula to this years draft to see if it works.

I'll laugh my man boobs off if what it shows is a crock of sh*te and it's back to square one for the AFL. Happy for them to get it right in time for the 2016 draft :)

Gil the dill said that they were going to apply this blow your head off mathematical formula to this years draft to see if it works.

I'll laugh my man boobs off if what it shows is a crock of sh*te and it's back to square one for the AFL. Happy for them to get it right in time for the 2016 draft :)

It will probably show that to get the 3 Academy guys we need the picks we used + 57. We miss out on PASS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tassie academy proposal serves a different AFL agenda than existing Northern academies. Gill & co desperate for Norf to be Tassie team of the future and this is the offered chalice.

With AFL pushing for only 1 team to play in Tassie from '16 onwards then incentives for Tassie Govt & Norf will now begin to emerge to suit the eventual emergence of a Tassie team.

Would much prefer the comp expanded - Tassie and Canberra.

Not expanded. It would be better to relocate some of the smaller Victorian teams rather than creating new teams. Slowly relocating North Melbourne is a good idea. Have North have around 3 home games at the MCG and then 4 games in Hobart and 4 games in Launceston with the AFL making sure the Kangaroos get plenty of away games in Melbourne.

They should play all of their games in Hobart and stop all this business of appeasing the north. What would happen to Swans membership if half our home games were played in Canberra ? Fans are not going to want to commute on the Midlands "Highway" to see a game of footy.

Hobart's the capital. It has the population base and the prestige.

Vested Interest : My (Hobart based) mum's a Kangaroos supporter and she'll be ecstatic to have them as her local team.

Seen mills training last week ( early start getting ready to go bang next year I hope )
Awsome to see dunkley.
All of heeney ( this year ) ala Davis , hiscox have played senior footy at some stage which IMO fast tracks them.
Both mills ( 2nd year neafl this year ) and dunkley ( sale seniors )have played senior footy.
Looking forward to getting back out to training In coming weeks

Last edited:
Not expanded. It would be better to relocate some of the smaller Victorian teams rather than creating new teams. Slowly relocating North Melbourne is a good idea. Have North have around 3 home games at the MCG and then 4 games in Hobart and 4 games in Launceston with the AFL making sure the Kangaroos get plenty of away games in Melbourne.

You've got buckleys chance of getting some of them out, although in reality if they don't take the deal they should be folded - I'd take the nuclear approach... but then I'm a prick and I think we were on the end of that stick with the Sydney move. I always thought the Western Bulldogs should have become the GWS team and North should have become the GC team but that's a different matter.

The Dogs seem to have nailed North with the Ballarat move, I don't think North have much wriggle room now. What ever the end result, get Hawthorn out of there and give the new team the whole place. The question around an academy being linked to a new club doesn't hold much water in my book, Tasmania is a much more established AFL market and any relocating team will still retain some hold in Melbourne. An academy for the sake of an academy I get but not linked to a club.... once we get to a critical mass of junior players in NSW, it should be the same for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back