New Senate Poll Ordered For WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Some other observations from my booth.

1. Someone voted Green and drew a penis over the Australian Christians option.
2. Someone wrote Buzz Lightyear and ticked next to it.
3. Someone voted below the line but marked the boxes in exact order up to down left to right 1 to 77. Clearly didn't show that they were mucking around, but it still counts as a valid vote.
4. Someone walked into the place with a beer in hand in the vision of a cop who was there to vote. Cop didn't notice though.
5. Someone walked in shirtless. Reminded me of Redfern Centrelink.

There are quite a few voters that get the LDP and Liberals mixed up, which explains why the LDP vote is a bit higher than expected.

actually some other views.

1. 1 dude voted one of the libs 1. and then went ALP 2,3,4,5 and proceeded to number all 77 boxes.
2. 1 person voted one of the ALP candidates 1, and then went Libs 2-5 and then carried on.
3. Some person put Vote Sharia Law one
4. One person protested that he wasnt allowed to do a absentee ballot at my station and didnt stop till I told him there are two ladies over there who handle absentee ballots waiting for you to vote.
5.Some Dude voted above the line no.69 to the Aussie Christians party- will admit I was amused by that.
6. Some person got upset because I told him his Sammoid has to stay outside whilst he votes.

Whatever the result, for me two big things stand out.

1. Very surprised at the vote for Greens especially in WA, given the poor result in Tasmania recently. Possibly due to profile of Ludlam? (Not unhappy though)
2. The sooner that Labor start selecting candidates on merit and move away from union selection, the sooner they will get back into power.

Don't be surprised. There is a serious bloc of voters in WA that want the mining tax and the carbon tax to stay. Clearly they are not in the majority yet, but it's a serious bloc and not merely a protest vote. The ALP are prevaricating over it, with some in their own party saying they shouldn't vote against the repeal. Hence the shift of votes from the ALP to The Greens who are a bit more steadfast in their opposition to repeal.

That's my reading of it.

Don't be surprised. There is a serious bloc of voters in WA that want the mining tax and the carbon tax to stay. Clearly they are not in the majority yet, but it's a serious bloc and not merely a protest vote. The ALP are prevaricating over it, with some in their own party saying they shouldn't vote against the repeal. Hence the shift of votes from the ALP to The Greens who are a bit more steadfast in their opposition to repeal.

That's my reading of it.

They won't ever be a majority.

That's my reading of it.

I was going to comment disparaging the idea that so many votes would swing on a single issue (OK, pair of issues), but really the Greens and PUP are the ones who got the swings, and they are probably the most solid (extreme) on these issues, so their might be something to be said for this (both ways).

I do retain my view from the last election though, and suggest the swing to minors represents a rejection of the majors and their cynical/expedient views...A pox on both their houses....Although that could, in part, be more me wanting it to be so than anything real.

I was going to comment disparaging the idea that so many votes would swing on a single issue (OK, pair of issues), but really the Greens and PUP are the ones who got the swings, and they are probably the most solid (extreme) on these issues, so their might be something to be said for this (both ways).

I do retain my view from the last election though, and suggest the swing to minors represents a rejection of the majors and their cynical/expedient views...A pox on both their houses....Although that could, in part, be more me wanting it to be so than anything real.

I'd say it's the most likely single reason. There was no government at stake, and I suspect many Australians are frustrated with the major parties, but our system is such that there is normally little outlet for them to change anything - but here was an opportunity.

I suspect Ludlam also bought a lot of personal support to the election which will have inflated The Greens vote somewhat. I do think that there is a fairly high level of disenchantment with both the ALP and Coalition though, the level of political discourse over the last five years has hardly been a great advertisment for maintaining the traditional two Party status quo and people are looking at their options more carefully now. The hung Parliament was also, in my view, a reminder that their votes can actually carry some weight.

1. Very surprised at the vote for Greens especially in WA, given the poor result in Tasmania recently. Possibly due to profile of Ludlam? (Not unhappy though)
2. The sooner that Labor start selecting candidates on merit and move away from union selection, the sooner they will get back into power.
Ludlam was literally every where here. You couldn't avoid him, on the radio, ads though the paper and tv and a fair few I saw online as well. He and Clive Palmer were the most visible campaigners by a wide margin. Also Joe Bullock is a massive turd of a candidate and a slap in the face of voters when Pratt was demoted to second on the ticket. What on earth would Bullock add to the parliamentary Labor party and politics in general, is big fat leech.

Some other observations from my booth.

1. Someone voted Green and drew a penis over the Australian Christians option.
2. Someone wrote Buzz Lightyear and ticked next to it.
3. Someone voted below the line but marked the boxes in exact order up to down left to right 1 to 77. Clearly didn't show that they were mucking around, but it still counts as a valid vote.
4. Someone walked into the place with a beer in hand in the vision of a cop who was there to vote. Cop didn't notice though.
5. Someone walked in shirtless. Reminded me of Redfern Centrelink.

There are quite a few voters that get the LDP and Liberals mixed up, which explains why the LDP vote is a bit higher than expected.

Years ago, I walked into the local polling place with a collection of dice in my hand, and whenever anyone offered me a how to vote card, I showed them the dice and said "I brought my own". I didn't use them for anything important (preference order for parties that had no hope), but the look I got was fun :)

Re your second point: I completely agree - you can't have the out of whack situation of the party structure versus the reality regarding union representation. Also factions have to be sidelined to allow local members to have more of a say, which would result in more people actually becoming members. Do you think though that some of the geniuses in charge will understand the importance of this? Will Shorten fight for it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you in denial?
My post was in reference to you stating earlier about a majority voting for parties that presented a clear policy to repeal both Carbon and Mining taxes.

Palmer on the mining tax:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...governments-on-mining-tax-20140320-353oj.html

Fairfax MP Clive Palmer has foreshadowed an obstacle to the government's repeal of the mining tax, declaring that it will not come at the expense of income support to orphaned children of war veterans.

The $211-a-year payment to veterans' children, which has an overall price tag of $250,000 for the government, is to be one of the casualties of the mining tax repeal package.

But Mr Palmer, who supports cutting the mining tax, has threatened to block the repeal if the payments are axed.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...governments-on-mining-tax-20140320-353oj.html

Palmer's support is conditional. Far from a clear policy. In fact he has outlined a clearer position of obstructionism.

Also, whilst Palmer has stated he will vote to reeal the carbon tax he is pro RET, believes in climate change and has endorsed an ETS as a concept in the past.

My post was in reference to you stating earlier about a majority voting for parties that presented a clear policy to repeal both Carbon and Mining taxes.

Palmer on the mining tax:

Also, whilst Palmer has stated he will vote to reeal the carbon tax he is pro RET, believes in climate change and has endorsed an ETS as a concept in the past.

Clive is supportive of a voluntary RET, as are most people.

Last known position on this 2 days before the election.

TONY JONES: Clive Palmer, still with you. You've sent out some mixed messages on the campaign trail on the Renewable Energy Target. Your candidate Dio Wang says, "The Government's review of the RET is a waste of money and the RET scheme should remain as it is."

CLIVE PALMER: No ...

TONY JONES: On the other hand, you've contradicted him. You've said it should be voluntary.

CLIVE PALMER: No, I think Dio means it should be voluntary too. We think it's a commendable target to have and we'd encourage people to do it, but we don't think you can make people do these things or mandate how they do these things. And we support it morally, but we don't intend to legislate to make people do something they may not want to do. It mightn't be economic for them and might put burdens on their families.

because the PUP is against the mining and carbon taxes. So people who voted for them voted for a party that is against the mining and carbon taxes
They are against the mining tax, only if it does not result in cuts to health and welfare.

Since Abbott has promised the latter, Palmer has promised to be obstructionist.

Bit unhappy the Pirate Party didn't get up and about.

Seem to have received 0 prefs, so clearly failed at the deal making which is vital to the micro parties. All their votes went straight to the Greens, so clearly they didn't try working the other way either.

Devil's advocate. Should the PUP abstain from voting on the repeal of the Acts because of a conflict of interest?
Actually, I was discussing this with friends. This is a major conflict of interest.
Do Parliamentarians have to resign from companies that they may deliberate on.

The ALP and the Liberals did not spend a great deal in this campaign - the Libs certainly spent more than the ALP, but the two collectively would be the ones not coming anywhere near the PUP (and the Greens spent a fair bit as well).

Actually I thought that the Libs were smart by holding their cabinet meeting in WA thereby receiving lots of free exposure through the media.
Lots of talking heads on TV and radio.

They are against the mining tax, only if it does not result in cuts to health and welfare.

Since Abbott has promised the latter, Palmer has promised to be obstructionist.

That's pretty typical talk from a bloke who is trying to differentiate himself from looking like a defacto Libs.

His candidates will vote to repeal it. Dio Wang said as much on saturday.

Actually, I was discussing this with friends. This is a major conflict of interest.
Do Parliamentarians have to resign from companies that they may deliberate on.

Palmer didn't vote in parliament (where the government has a large majority anyway). I don't think there is anyway to get his senators to not vote- though Wang does own a mining company I believe.

The problem is that even if Palmer does appoint someone else to run his businesses- they're just so big that he can't avoid a conflict. And there isn't a mechanism for an individual 'owning' a political party like Palmer does. It's quite possibly unprecedented in the Westminister system worldwide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back