NCAA New to College Football - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're looking for teams that are all about offence, then I suggest sticking with Oregon (who I go for) or Oklahoma State. The Ducks would be on TV more than the Cowboys though.

I've looked up the Ducks and after all your help I am now a Oregon fan :):thumbsu:

Hi all;

I am a stanford fan - went there in 2001. This thread has been excellent, but I still have a few questions:

1. What is the easiest way to watch college games in Australia if you don't have pay-tv? (in particular, I am interested in the Pac-12, but can't find their streaming website ala SEC)
2. If there a pay-per-view or pay-per-download option anywhere on the web?
3. Any bar's or clubs in the ACT that would show college football?

Cheers

FD

with stanford on the gostanford.com website you can buy a subscription and it looks like you can watch archived games, dont know about live, never used it because i watch games on foxtel or download them if the get caped.

Want the best- Oregon Ducks :)

If you're not overly intelligent or just a little slow I'd suggest a FCS team, because lets be honest, FBS is so confusing :). So why not pick a school with a solid basketball program and a National Championship in Football in 2009 and Semi's appearance last year. Villanova is the obvious choice ;)

If you're not overly intelligent or just a little slow I'd suggest a FCS team, because lets be honest, FBS is so confusing :). So why not pick a school with a solid basketball program
Once you reached that point I was actually thinking Villanova.

Good guess I guess :p

I should have noted, there in a bit of a rebuilding phase at the moment and have been slated by Temple, Towson and Monmouth.

my mate and i both love NFL and we wanted to start following College but didnt know what team to support, what we did the other day was put the Top 35 teams in a hat a picked one out. whatever team we picked was the team we would follow. he got
Texas Longhorns and i got TCU horned frogs. we both Happy with our new teams

TCU - You damn dirty horned frog...

I was at the Rose Bowl last year where they beat my girlfriends team (Wisconsin)...

And for those looking for a team who is back on their way to the top - look no further than the Michigan Wolverines:

A few reasons:

1. Most 'winning' college football team in the United States
2. Play at the bighouse where they get over 110,000 every home game (and have for over 20 years).
3. They will smash OSU this year.
4. They have an awesome quarterback who will be in Heisman contention
5. They have awesome uniforms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I had decided on UCLA but now I'm still thinking about Boston College and the Fightin' Irish.

This is difficult!
Red Sox, Celtics, Bills, Rangers?
Gotta stick with the North East

Go Boston College!
Or go 1 step further and support the new kids on the block and go for UMass. (They're rising to FBS football next year)

ps - I do like UCLA so wont recommend avoid them. But stay away from Notre Dame. They're overrated, and alot of people hate them.

Although many wont admit it, but it's basically jealousy.

Notre Dame were more successfull.
Notre Dame fans were arrogant (and had a reason to be).
Notre Dame had a national following.
Notre Dame was always in the media.

They're everything Buffalo arn't.

Havn't you noticed it. Smaller teams have that sort of 'meh' factor.
People don't care about Buffalo Bills because no one supports them. But people hate the Patriots, Cowboys and Notre Dame and the like due to the above reasons.

I'm thinking LSU, ND or Oregon at this stage. I can't decide though.

BC is out the window. I go for enough sucky teams. I also watched a few UCLA games and wasn't feelin' it.

Go with Oregon mate. They don't have the "history" of LSU or Notre Dame but they are a program of the future. Phil Knight is going to pump so much $$$ into the program that they will be considered by every top recruit in the country. It's already happening and will only continue.

They and billionaire T Boone Pickens' Oklahoma State are definitely programs of the future.

Location is also of some importance. I don't like Texas and Cali (liked the Dodgers before I started not liking cali). Also don't really like Florida, would like to go there just don't like the state for some reason.

That leaves: LSU, Penn State, Michigan, Oregon

Ruled out LSU because they have Vikings colours and I hate the Vikings.
The watched some Penn State vids and I love them... the White House games are sick.... so I've chosen them.
Oh boy, that's embarrassing...

I'm trying to decide on a team and am thinking the Sooners. Quite liked the Pokes and their constant rolling of teams, but I just don't think their O can carry them forever.

OU seem a bit more balanced.

Was interested in their history as well as their outlook for the future if anyone could contribute.

I'm thinking LSU, ND or Oregon at this stage. I can't decide though.

BC is out the window. I go for enough sucky teams. I also watched a few UCLA games and wasn't feelin' it.
But college football is weird. Teams move up and down pretty damn fast.

Tennessee was amazing in the 1990s, now they're s**t.
Florida were dominant 3 years ago, now they're average.
Washington State were pretty good 10 years ago, now they're the laughing stock of the Pac-12 (well, untill Colorado joint)

Stanford are a joke more years than not, yet they're good now.

On the 5 teams you've been tossing up.

LSU - Have great recruiting, and the talent will make them pretty damn good for a long time.

Notre Dame - Avoid them, their goals are becoming more and more out of their reach as their national brand diminishes. It's becoming harder to remain relevant as they can't make BCS Bowls unless they pull a Boise State and have a 0 or 1 loss season. As an indy, I would not recommend them. But if their goals lower to say a BigTen championship and Rose Bowl, they can reach it and become relevant again, and then it'd be worth while supporting them

Oregon - Entertaining team, gaining consistency, would be a good pick as an Australian, despite what my personal feelings feel about the team and culture...

Boston College - Just in a down year, they've just been decimated by injuries this year, starting to improve and win a few games recently. Out of these 5 schools, I'd be looking here probably, the history of Matt Ryan and Doug Flutie probably being the reason it gets me over UCLA.

UCLA - Probably the worst pick, not even the towns favourite team behind USC. I'd only go them because I like the home jerseys, and I've been to LA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back