Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you on JN as well DF? I think I remember you from the old JI days.

Tony Pauline has been pointing out that we'll get a ton of coverage sacks, I honestly think pass-rush is a luxury right now with Williams in the first and our awesome secondary. They'll go offence 2nd round, and possibly third as well, though if Nate Orchard is there in the third I would find it hard to pass on him.

Well they got Petty - overall I'm happy with the draft. I don't like drafting guys with only marginal upside in the later rounds, so happy with the two linemen we got with the two last picks. Zac Stacy has killed me in fantasy in previous seasons but you can't fault getting a guy who was a no. 1 back not that long ago for a 7th rounder.

Was not that happy with taking Mauldin over Eli Harold, but really I know as much about both players as I do about astrophysics, and I'm sure the Jets FO under a draft guy like MacG have done due dilligence.

Two other things - first, our dline has gone from awesome to something beyond that. Secondly I am worried about the tackle situation though on the other side of the ball. I suspect we'll have a first round pick on a tackle next draft.

Last edited:
I took Harold in the BigFooty mock draft for the Jets in the second round. Harold is an athletic freak by all accounts and was being mocked to some franchises in the late first round pre-draft.

I suspect Maccagnan took Mauldin because he appears to be a high character guy with a great motor who is prepared to do whatever it takes to succeed in the NFL. I've been reading some articles about Mauldin from MMQB, the Jets' website, etc, etc, which all talk about his broken childhood (shifted from foster home to foster home, etc) and his drive to be as good as he can be.

I find it interesting that the Jets traded up to take Petty. To be honest, I think Petty is a wasted pick. Based on everything I've seen of him, Petty is a system QB which is the spread offence, but his ceiling is probably an NFL backup. I don't think the Jets have unearthed the next diamond in the rough QB. I think Petty probably spells the end of Matt Simms as a QB with the Jets, but I don't see him being anything more than a third string QB behind Fitz-magic and Geno. The contest for the starting QB slot is still between Pick-patrick and Genope.

On the whole, I think the Maccagnan has done a terrific job in free agency and the draft. Although blind Freddy could see the holes in the roster after Idzik left, Maccagnan has actually gone out there and done the best he can to fill those holes. He's overhauled the secondary by signing Revis, Cro, Skrine and Gilchrist, which means that the Jets don't need to rush back Milliner and McDougle from injury and Pryor can shift into his more natural position of strong safety with Gilchrist playing free safety. As you say, he's bolstered the d-line with drafting Leonard Williams and re-signing Harrison and Douzable (it's a shame that Kenrick Ellis left for the Giants, but Ellis was after more playing time and he'll get that at the Giants).

The o-line is still a work in progress but signing Carpenter and re-signing Colon as a veteran backup should help the interior line at least, because it means that the Jets can focus on deciding who between Dozier, Aboushi and Winters should start at the other guard spot opposite Carpenter. Though I do think you're right - a high pick should be spent on a tackle next season. Giacomini is average and Brick is starting to show his age.

The Jets seem to have amassed a lot of running backs in the off-season; signed Ridley, re-signed Powell, traded a nothing pick for Stacy. I think the Jets enter training camp with five experienced RBs on the roster. Ridley, Ivory and Powell are all free agents at the end of next season, so I presume Maccagnan wants to maintain a healthy competition to see whether it's worth trying to re-sign any of them and, if so, at what price.

Much happier with a WR stable comprising Marshall, Decker, Smith and Kerley, with Evans and Onunwa in reserve, compared to the WR stable last year comprising Decker, Hill (before training camp), Kerley, Evans, Onunwa and Saunders. Still, if the Jets miss Marshall and/or Decker for any period of time, it will hurt the offence.

Totally agree with you DF on Macg's job so far, he's been very good. You also look at the UDFA they are picking up - a lot of them have draftable grades according to Tony Pauline's (Pauline's quite the character - used to post on the old JI) website, so a few 4th rounders in there etc. This is where Macg's draft background is coming through - and these are the players that make the difference between winning and losing seasons.

I had a look at some of the Petty film - I'm not really up on the subtleties of the QB position but yeah you get the sense why this draft was a two-QB draft. He does have a quick release and does throw a decent deep ball but the throws don't seem to have much velocity on them, especially those middle throws that require speed to fit into a tight window - I'm not sure how he's going to go in the middle of a New York winter. Who knows though - give him 18 months he might become something - you have to give these guys a shot because the position is so important and apparently next years QB class isn't all that flash either.

Dixie Flatline, what are your thoughts on the Jets linebacker situation? Outside of your OL, I still see it as one of your pressing needs and quite possibly, your weak spot on D. Regarding your OL, if I'm an opposing DC, I'd be sending pass rushers on the right side of the line all day long. Carpenter and Giacomini will want to make massive strides this season especially if Petty gets a shot at the job.

The AFC East appears to have improved tremendously in the offseason. It's going to make for some interesting viewing in 2015.

Not going to answer a question directed at DF, but here is the summation of the two LBs we picked up in the draft/UDFA from Pauline:

Lorenzo Mauldin (3rd round)

School: Louisville

Position: OLB

Bio: Starting defensive end the past two and half seasons. All-conference selection as a senior after totaling 51 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks.

Positive: Tough, instinctive football player who can be used out of a three-point stance or standing up over tackle. Plays much more athletic than his computer numbers, shows a good change of direction and easily moves to every area of the field. Breaks down well, fights with his hands and rarely knocked off his feet. Agile, quick and possesses a burst of speed which he turns on in a single step. Solid pass rusher up the field and shows ability in pursuit.

Negative: Average football strength and easily out positioned from the action by fullbacks. Lacks great long and pursuit speed. Must improve his coverage skills.

Analysis: Mauldin was a consistent football player at Louisville and will do well at the next level as a situational pass rusher.

Taiwan Jones (3rd-4th round)

School: Michigan State

Position: ILB

Bio: Two-year starter awarded All-conference honors since his junior season. Totaled 60 tackles and 12.5 tackles for loss as a senior when he lined up at middle linebacker. Posted 67 tackles at strong side linebacker as a junior.

Positive: Explosive three down linebacker who makes plays against the run and pass. Plays with balance, rarely knocked off his feet and fast both laterally and in a straight line. Plays with a great deal of quickness and explosion. Breaks through blocks to get behind the line of scrimmage and is constantly flying around the action. Tough but also smart and does a nice job anticipating the action. Flows well to the action, strings plays out laterally and wraps up tackling. Gets depth on pass drops, shows tremendous range and covers a lot of ground. Quick to locate the ball. Makes the defensive calls for Michigan State and is known as a leader.

Negative: Takes too many steps to the action. Never had great production in college. Lacks classic linebacker height. Ran poorly at the combine.
Analysis: Though not garnering the headlines of his teammates, Jones has been a steady playmaker the past two years. He's a three-down defender who can play multiple linebacker positions in a variety of schemes and comes with the ability to quickly break into a starting lineup at the next level.

They also got some small-school guy in for a tryout, those usually don't pan out though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixie Flatline, what are your thoughts on the Jets linebacker situation? Outside of your OL, I still see it as one of your pressing needs and quite possibly, your weak spot on D. Regarding your OL, if I'm an opposing DC, I'd be sending pass rushers on the right side of the line all day long. Carpenter and Giacomini will want to make massive strides this season especially if Petty gets a shot at the job.

The AFC East appears to have improved tremendously in the offseason. It's going to make for some interesting viewing in 2015.

The word pre-draft was that the Jets were heavily into Dante Fowler Jr and were hoping that he'd make it to them at #6 (Maccagnan said he called the GMs of teams ahead of him to see how much it would cost to trade up but given that he also said he wanted to trade down to gain extra picks, the conversations were probably short). Williams fell into the Jets' lap at #6 and I'm sure Bowles will develop a plan to make sure that Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison and Williams all see the field for a lot of snaps (Harrison is more a run-stuffer, though, so he'd probably be subbed out in obvious passing downs).

I think that if Worilds hadn't decided to suddenly retire, the Jets would have gauged his interest in signing as a free agent, but with more pressing needs elsewhere, I think Maccagnan decided that he'd roll with another 12 months of Babin and Pace, see how the draft played out and re-assess in 12 months. I suspect that Mauldin will generally play as a situational pass rusher and that the Jets will roll out a lot of odd fronts to make best use of the riches on d-line while minimising the exposure of the linebackers.

I think the Jets are expecting that the pressure generated up-front by the d-line and by a much improved secondary should create opportunities for Pace, Babin, Mauldin and Coples to get coverage sacks.

In terms of the offensive line, I understand that Carpenter hasn't given up a sack in 26 games while with the Seahawks, but he did cop a lot of penalties. Giacomini is an average right tackle but is only being paid as an average right tackle and from memory the Jets can move on from him at the end of the season with little cap penalty. The offensive line needed an upgrade in talent and it still does, but hopefully it will perform better than it did last season, particularly now that Colon appears to have been relegated to back-up duty.

I hope that the Jets are clever enough to see that Petty needs a lot of work transitioning from a spread-style offence to a pro-style offence (even if it incorporates a lot of spread concepts due to Gailey being the OC). I don't really want to see him on the field this season, except in pre-season.

^ ^ agree with that DF, nice summation.

On the o-line, I had hopes for Dozier who was one of the few draft picks I liked from the Idzik era, didn't play last year though - we have a lot of depth on the oline, but overall just not a lot of quality. Going to be hard this season facing up to the AFC East if someone like Colon gets a lot of snaps.

Well without really upgrading at QB or O-Line, we are going to need to win the game on defence. Having some better targets to throw at will help, but there's going to be a lot of pressure on Geno with the O-line as it is and that's going to force him into bad throws and picks. We will need to restrict a lot of teams to less than 17 points in order to win games I reckon.

Was reading Collision Low Crossers again on the way home last night, and the author was up to the point where the Jets were selecting players for the 2011 draft. As we all know, Wilkerson was the Jets' first round pick that year. Dawidoff (the author) recounts how the Seahawks offered Tannenbaum an opportunity to move up five spots in the first round but Tannenbaum turned down the offer on the basis that it was too expensive.

The Jets expected that Wilkerson wouldn't make it to the Jets at pick 30, which is why they carefully considered the Seahawks' offer, and they thought that the Seahawks were going to take Wilkerson.

Turns out the Seahawks took James Carpenter (guard) with their first round pick.

And now, four years later, Carpenter ends up on the Jets' roster as a free agent!

Former San Francisco 49er AJ Jenkins is currently with the Jets at the rookie mini-camp.

Here's a list of those attending the mini-camp.

CEfyvoIUMAADGDl.jpg

Geno Smith opened minicamp by throwing three interceptions on Tuesday.

Two of those picks came in the red zone. "Turnovers matter," said coach Todd Bowles. "The thing you don’t want to do is when you’re in red-zone drills, you don’t want to turn it over and give up the three points." Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty also threw interceptions on Tuesday. The Jets improved in other areas this offseason, but quarterback remains an issue.

Source: New York Daily News

20 points might be enough to win a few games next year based on the expected strength of the D. Geno should get a lot more time with the ball too in better spots because the D should be able to cause a lot more turnovers. He won't need to be exceptional for us to win games, if he can just hold onto the ball a little better and game manage, we will be in the hunt for a wildcard spot.

Apparently Geno was perfect in 7-on-7 red-zone drills in camp today.

Looks like the Jets have an issue brewing with Sheldon Richardson. He claimed to NYDN that Mo Wilkerson was worth Suh-money. The Dolphins overpaid for Suh to prise him away from the Lions, but Richardson thinks that Wilkerson and himself both deserve that type of coin. Richardson's contract can't be renegotiated for two more years, but I have the feeling that he's going to be a difficult player for the Jets to re-sign. Wouldn't be surprising if the Jets sign Wilkerson to a contract extension and then trade Richardson in the next 18 months on the basis that they can't afford to tie up so much money in defensive linemen. Taking Leonard Williams in the draft has turned out to be very useful for the Jets, even without playing a down, as it gives the Jets leverage in negotiations with Wilk and Richardson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back