Nisbett: Judd Best Ever Eagle (and Team 25)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a long bench. Glad to see Glass, Kerr and Embers in. Not sure Cousins should be on the flank but I guess he gets demoted because of the off-field stuff.

My top 5 eagles of all time.

Worsfold
Matera
Cousins
Jakovich
Mckenna

For me its not just playing ability but what they have brought to the club and the effect and influence they had. Woosha is a dual premiership captain and a premiership coach and has been at the club for 20+ years out of our 25 year history. As a hard man who defined our club from the start he's not only the most important eagle in our history but one of the biggest names in WA sporting history imo.

Matera at 2, i think people forget how great he actually was, legitimately the best in his position within the AFL and desperately unlucky not to have 1 brownlow and some would say more.

Cousins is my all time favourite player and if it wasn't for the drugs issues would be on his way to being on a par or above woosha. A true leader on the field and on the training track, hugely charismatic leader, brownlow medallist and a pretty good bloke who has some issues (haven't we all).

Jakovich is imo the last true great CHB to play the game. Would dominate opposition forwards and was the only bloke who could say they did better than break even with carey. Was still great post knee op but before hand was spectacular and is also our games record holder.

Mckenna imo was just an amazing player and while very highly rated by some just doesn't get the recognition he deserves by most. It may be because he was a medium defender but he just had amazing class, would always beat his opponent. While im sure it happened i watched every game he played and i cant remember him ever not beating his opponent over the course of a match. A club captain as well as being second on our all time games list and i'd probably haveh im down on a HBF or back pocket in an afl best team of all time.

Honorable mentions to cox, kemp, judd and kerr.

I cannot believe Nissy picked Judd - but each of us are entitled to our opinions.
Ben is my best ever player, followed by Peter Matera. Woosh is definately the most influential person in the history of this club.

In terms of talent, Judd may very well be number one.
In terms of service, Worsfold would be a clear number one, followed probably by Cousins.
Which of these makes a player "the best" is in the eyes of the beholder.

Yes, Judd. Many gave much more over a longer time but nobody (yet) has hit the same heights. When he was on song... wow. Never felt so much joy at a football match.

After being line ball a year ago I would of thought now that Glass replaces Macintosh as the starting FB. 3xAA, 3xB&F, premiership player and captain should get him in there.

After being line ball a year ago I would of thought now that Glass replaces Macintosh as the starting FB. 3xAA, 3xB&F, premiership player and captain should get him in there.

It's funny though at with careers, those who have more accolades are seen in a better light. Having watched the entirety of both of their careers i would have said if you were judging them just as players mackintosh was the better player, and by a fair margin as well.

Really it comes down to how you pick your players if i were to pick a side though i would have glass as the FB and mcintosh as the third tall as he would have been hugely damaging if released from defensive duties.

More likely to replace Brennan, I think.
McIntosh was a super, super player. Elite pace, one of the strongest in the AFL and was more than a handy rebounder. Could also swing forward and kick goals.
Talent wise I think he was a better, or at least more complete player than Glass, but by the end of Glass's career he may be considered a better servant to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its really just that CHF position. White was a good player but he only had a couple of good seasons. Maybe Kennedy can get into there eventually.

Matera > Judd in terms of on feild, 250+ games of service v 134(?). In 1994 Matera did get 28 votes, enough to win the Brownlow most years. Even if Judds highs were mayber higher, Matera did it for longer.

Woosh > Judd in terms of impact and importance to the club.

By either criteria, Judd isn't the best.

Awesome team though, we've been pretty fortunate as a club.

Big surprise really. Judd will never be as good at Carlton then he was with us.

For me though in terms of just bleeding Eagles I would go with Matera, Woosha and Cousins as a top 3. Matera and Cousins are my all time favourite players.

Terrible call by Nisbett. Judd was only a premiership captain because Cuzz was naughty off field.

Yes, Judd. Many gave much more over a longer time but nobody (yet) has hit the same heights. When he was on song... wow. Never felt so much joy at a football match.

Perhaps you never saw Peter Matera play live - he was the one who really could light up a football field. He was just as inspiring as Judd and did it for longer - and was also capable of playing various positions. He was the greatest wingman of his time, then went back to half back and dominated there. I also remember a game against Essendon ( in Melbourne) when he started on the bench, Phil got injured and Peter went to fullforward and proceeded to kick a lazy seven goals - and in the process took just about the best one handed contested mark I have ever seen. An absolute legend.

There is no doubt whatever order you put Matera, Cousins, Judd, Jacko, Kemp you are not going to be far wrong.

Woosha no doubt the most influential person ever at the club but as a footballer not in the above blokes world.

Good side and you could replace some with others and it still would be ok, Nisbetts view I guess.

Cousins my greatest Eagle.

Cousins is hands down the best, but thats because he is my all time favourite and I really want to see him back at the club in some form soon. I miss someone with that love and ethusiasm at our club. He always talked with such charisma and seemed to have an aura about him.

I kinda get a similar feeling about Naitanui as well some times :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back