Toast NMFC members voicing their displeasure at umpiring - great job members wing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, agree. But as an old f@*t who has seen all umpiring systems I feel the game was best umpired by 2. I know there were reasons for moving to 3, like the speed of the game, etc. I remain unconvinced that 3 did the job any better or meant the game was a better spectacle... and as for 4...too many getting games who are not up to it. Talent spread too thinly.

By the way, lots of talk about 'rules are rules' in regard to the Interchange issue, and fair enough, we cop it sweet. But isn't the 6-6-6 also a rule. By chance I flicked over to a game not involving us a few weeks back and just before a centre resumption after a goal, the whistle went and I thought someone had entered the square. Apparently one of the teams had stuffed up the 6-6-6 according to the 'commentators.' The outcome was a warning/caution to the offending team and the 'commentators' were bemoaning that a caution is an option. Yes indeed, rules are rules! Perhaps a caution is also applicable to an interchange breach? Or maybe not.

Maybe others can shed light on this one in case I have missed something.
Agree about the umpiring getting no better with more umps, but I don’t believe it’s cause the talent is thin, it’s the inconsistency that is the issue. If they’re going to go to 4 umps they need to have the umps do zones for the whole game. So then both teams get the same ump making the same decisions in sordid circumstances, eg holding the ball in front of goal, hanging on at center bounces etc etc.

As for rules are rule, the rule for 6-6-6 is a warning is first given, so they are following the rules.

Just imagine if it was Sydney who made the extra interchange and that player ran forward to the stoppage and snapped the winning goal. People would have been ripping seats out and throwing them on the ground.

Agree about the umpiring getting no better with more umps, but I don’t believe it’s cause the talent is thin, it’s the inconsistency that is the issue. If they’re going to go to 4 umps they need to have the umps do zones for the whole game. So then both teams get the same ump making the same decisions in sordid circumstances, eg holding the ball in front of goal, hanging on at center bounces etc etc.

As for rules are rule, the rule for 6-6-6 is a warning is first given, so they are following the rules.

Just imagine if it was Sydney who made the extra interchange and that player ran forward to the stoppage and snapped the winning goal. People would have been ripping seats out and throwing them on the ground.
Not my original idea but a logical solution to ensuring consistent decisions is to establish umpire crews like Major League Baseball and NFL where groups of umpires stay together each week and are lead by a crew chief who sets the agenda. The best and most consistent crew gets the grand final.

Not my original idea but a logical solution to ensuring consistent decisions is to establish umpire crews like Major League Baseball and NFL where groups of umpires stay together each week and are lead by a crew chief who sets the agenda. The best and most consistent crew gets the grand final.

I reckon I’ve seen more anger directed towards MLB umpires than in any other game, though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I Feel I can umpire the game better from level two isle 34 (half way) . Maybe me and another guy sitting over at Medallion Club could replace the 3 .
Just realised need one to ball it up :) . Can't get any worse

One of our penalties for not being a very good team, is that we get the not very good umpires.

Last year 27 umpires were getting a game every week with the bottom few basically being not up to it. This year those bottom few have 9 who were worse than them added on top. There are literally 15-18 umpires each week who are below standard and/or inexperienced.

Now, the AFL don't want that s**t stinking up their precious Friday nights, marquee games and prime-time slots so they get hidden on Saturday afternoons and Sunday twilights. So in the end, all of the worst umpires end up doing North Melbourne games every week. No wonder we're angry.

As I posted elsewhere before the game, last year as is the case every year, the AFL quietly announce who they think the best umpires are for the year by appointing them to the first week of finals. Last year that was 12 umpires (This year will be 16). With 4 umpires a game across 10 games, we've had 40 chances to get one of those. Of those 40, we've got 7. Collingwood have 23. Yesterday we had none. Today Collingwood/Carlton has all 4. I posted all this before the game yesterday so I knew the umpiring would be bad. We are literally getting the worst.

I don't believe in umpiring conspiracy theories. But I do know these facts. The individual umpires aren't out to get us - they actually aren't good enough to orchestrate that. They are just shithouse.

As for booing and throwing stuff on the field - I wasn't there yesterday as I was goal umpiring my own game at local level (my 500th game actually!) and haven't yet watched it so I don't really know much about it. I may have booed although I feel stupid every time I do that, and I certainly wouldn't have thrown.

But the AFL umpires, like North Melbourne, have too many potatoes on their list who have been there too long. Four umpires should never have been brought in until they rebuilt the list. They should also spread the quality around so that us, and the other bottom clubs get a decent go and so that the inexperienced guys can get some in-game mentoring and get better.
Exceptional analysis.

* the AFL and their ‘business’.

Christ. Another world.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, alot of Aussie Rules people put the boots into Euro soccerites for the hooligan culture, but turns out we were doing it 50 years before them. Once again North the forgotten pioneers? Almost comically bizarre that it was apparently started by the ladies going hogwild with their umbrellas
umb.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back