Non-AFL chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a huge fan of that video. It minimizes the actual wrestling, which is kind of what I enjoy about wrestling.
You must hate WWE and love NJPW then.

And for those that aren't big wrestling fans, it has hot girls. So it's worth it.
Fact that it has Seth Green and sam witwer in it so far
is keeping me more interested in this video

Fact that it has Seth Green and sam witwer in it so far
is keeping me more interested in this video
He's also got a fair few indie/ex WWE wrestlers in there. Not that you care :p

You must hate WWE and love NJPW then.
Hate is a strong word. I prefer mid 90s WCW or early 90s WWF. The attitude era was cool while it lasted but really most of it is pretty cringe worthy and doesn't hold up. NXT is the closest thing to what I consider a modern pro wrestling promotion should be. 70% wrestling 25% storyline and 5% pagentry.

Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling features dozens of special appearances, including cameos from wrestlers Joey Ryan, John Hennigan (Morrison), Christopher Daniels, Kazarian, Chris Hero, Becky Bayless, former WWE announcer Justin Roberts, Colt Cabana, JTG and Shad Gaspard, Ryan Nemeth and many others, as well as Seth Green, David Arquette and more.

Hate is a strong word. I prefer mid 90s WCW or early 90s WWF. The attitude era was cool while it lasted but really most of it is pretty cringe worthy and doesn't hold up. NXT is the closest thing to what I consider a modern pro wrestling promotion should be. 70% wrestling 25% storyline and 5% pagentry.
It was purely used as a method of exaggeration.

As for wrestling, the thing is that unlike the Attitude Era, about 99% of the roster can put on a good match (I'm looking at you Titus) they just don't get the time or the booking to do so. It shits me.

The most accurate Ric Flair description ever:

"His skin is basically leather. He's a disgusting old goober who yells 'Woo.' He's awesome. Just trust me, he's awesome. Sometimes when you describe something in wrestling, it doesn't sound awesome, but then when you see it-- Ah, * it! It's Ric Flair! He's awesome!"

The most accurate Ric Flair description ever:

"His skin is basically leather. He's a disgusting old goober who yells 'Woo.' He's awesome. Just trust me, he's awesome. Sometimes when you describe something in wrestling, it doesn't sound awesome, but then when you see it-- Ah, **** it! It's Ric Flair! He's awesome!"
This is the greatest video i have ever seen
So glad i watched all these series when i was younger
Cena song was classic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the greatest video i have ever seen
So glad i watched all these series when i was younger
Cena song was classic
Speaking of which...

It was purely used as a method of exaggeration.

As for wrestling, the thing is that unlike the Attitude Era, about 99% of the roster can put on a good match (I'm looking at you Titus) they just don't get the time or the booking to do so. It shits me.
The biggest problem is they have a 30 person writing team, so everything is disjointed and stuffed. I'm not their biggest fan but Russo and Ferrara werea two man team who had a plan and they made sure everything was tight and at least had internal consistency.

The biggest problem is they have a 30 person writing team, so everything is disjointed and stuffed. I'm not their biggest fan but Russo and Ferrara werea two man team who had a plan and they made sure everything was tight and at least had internal consistency.
The problem isn't the fact that everything is disjointed for me, it's the fact that everything is so over-managed and repetitive. Let the wrestler's have a bit of free rein for promos instead of practically having to memorise lines. We don't need to see the Usos vs the Rhodes brothers 8 times in a row leading up to the PPV.

There's so much new blood on the roster with the potential for great matches, but they're still pushing Kane, Big Show, Cena and not letting anything happen organically.

And for Gods sake get some continuity and some compelling booking going. 2 guys can do it, it should be an absolute breeze for 30 guys to come up with some good stuff, and throw in some good surprises.

ff1f2c93b0bafbc64bd585917c8c1058.png

The problem isn't the fact that everything is disjointed for me, it's the fact that everything is so over-managed and repetitive. Let the wrestler's have a bit of free rein for promos instead of practically having to memorise lines. We don't need to see the Usos vs the Rhodes brothers 8 times in a row leading up to the PPV.

There's so much new blood on the roster with the potential for great matches, but they're still pushing Kane, Big Show, Cena and not letting anything happen organically.

And for Gods sake get some continuity and some compelling booking going. 2 guys can do it, it should be an absolute breeze for 30 guys to come up with some good stuff, and throw in some good surprises.
New Japan has a two man team. NXT has a two man team. WCW in the nWo period was also basically two people.There's a reason why small booking teams work and bloated writing teams don't. Small teams are collaborative whereas the writing team is adversarial. Further it's filled with people who would struggle to explain who Ric Flair is.

The new blood is being killed by this and the over scripting of nonsensical bullshit, most of which is forgotten about next week, or after the last ppv.
I'd argue that as far as in-ring talent goes the current roster shits all over every modern day roster bar WCW 1996-98 and the WWE after the invasion. Yet they are limping towards the biggest show of ththe year...

Not a huge fan of that video. It minimizes the actual wrestling, which is kind of what I enjoy about wrestling.
I can see what you mean, and I don't entirely agree with this guys whole point of view, but I think he nails one side of the argument. Plus I love anything talking up Triple H

The stuff inside in the ring is both great to watch as a spectacle as it is a part of the story. Like that HHH vs Michaels storyline when Shawn came back, so much of that was told in the ring.

My favourite part was where he was talking about how there is a lot of s**t in wrestling, when they get it right, they get it ******* right. And when it's right, it extends so far out of just in ring stuff to the point where you're just enthralled with what is actually going on inside in the ring. Even if it's not the best match.

Also the cena stuff was funny as *.

I can see what you mean, and I don't entirely agree with this guys whole point of view, but I think he nails one side of the argument. Plus I love anything talking up Triple H

The stuff inside in the ring is both great to watch as a spectacle as it is a part of the story. Like that HHH vs Michaels storyline when Shawn came back, so much of that was told in the ring.

My favourite part was where he was talking about how there is a lot of s**t in wrestling, when they get it right, they get it ******* right. And when it's right, it extends so far out of just in ring stuff to the point where you're just enthralled with what is actually going on inside in the ring. Even if it's not the best match.

Also the cena stuff was funny as ****.
Honestly what really got my goat, was the wrestling isn't wrestling idea. I'm sitting there thinking, uh yeah it is, it's kind of the whole point. So I found it hard to enjoy the rest of the video despite the hot women and decent argument. Also much of that Triple H stuff was Landis projecting his thoughts onto the character. I wish they played the long game that well.

Honestly what really got my goat, was the wrestling isn't wrestling idea. I'm sitting there thinking, uh yeah it is, it's kind of the whole point. So I found it hard to enjoy the rest of the video despite the hot women and decent argument. Also much of that Triple H stuff was Landis projecting his thoughts onto the character. I wish they played the long game that well.
Ha, I was actually thinking while watching it something along the lines of, "I dunno if I can give WWE credit for this kinda character fluidity". But it's there and makes sense. I personally picture Triple H far more badass :p. The whole "cerebral assassin" was skipped over a bit.

Regardless, I enjoyed it a lot. Plus hot chicks.

Had my first jog since stuffing up my knee a week and a half ago. Heavily taped and was going slow as ever but didn't pull up too badly. Hope to play in the praccy in 2 weeks.

Everyone is calling Hunter an idiot and I am just sitting here reading about about the biggest idiot in the country

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...t-after-tony-abbotts-goebbels-comment/6332910

#WeneedanewPM

Not like it was spur of the moment either, he had documents regarding that very same member referring to stuff that the libs put out in 2011 as Goebbels-eqsue. He came in intending to offend people and then acts like he doesn't understand why people would be upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back