Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the T define the geographical divisions in Tassie?
yonic GIF

I don't think it's a great idea to change your first jumper.

Unless you're Port, because that one sucked.
In fairness to Port Power, they are plastic franchise so it makes sense to change jumpers to keep up with the latest hipster trends, which is important given they were 2nd team in SA established in 1997.

The new Tasmanian team was always going to be the Devils. No surprises there. I like the logo and basing the team out of Hobart.

Here is where the AFL perhaps should come up with a jumper mandate that all clubs should follow. It can't resemble the state jumper. I get the marketing by using the state jumper; 'a team for all Tasmanians' and trying to unite the North v South rivalry under the Tasmanian Devils banner. What better way than a state jumper. The question im not sure they asked themselves, will enough people buy it or will they just wear their own state jumper they already own?

On a side note: Whats the bet teams like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond have been approached already to play the first game. But then after that first year, whats the bet it becomes the travelling backwater for every team but the big Victorian clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Apparently he's an Crow's fan.

And who hasn't made two mistakes in the course of their lives?
I really think people should get off his back. Yes, it was a really big mistake - but it wasn't deliberate. Move on
It was deliberately stupid ESPECIALLY seeing he’d made the other monumental stuff up that could have been resolved by a review.

So they are apparently joining the VFL in 2025, AFL 2028

I assume the 2025 team wont have any juniors likely to play AFL, but when will they ramp it up?

2026? 2027? I cant imagine the AFL will want a Gold Coast or GC first season, so it is going to be fascinating to see what the AFL signs off on.

Unlike GC and GWS I genuinely think the Tasmanian team will attract a lot of current Tasmanian AFL players. Which means they will likely be able to create a genuinely competitive side. Tasmania is an AFL state which means the players will be treated like rockstars.

As for their list.

This is how I imagine their list will be built.

2025-26
They will build a state side for the VFL which will help mentor the Tasmanian juniors they have access too from next year. Being 3 years out from AFL most AFL quality Juniors will opt to be drafted so it will really only be the undrafted juniors. Not to mention the ex AFL players chasing to reignite their dream. Watch for AFL players only signing contracts until 2027 during this time.

is the first chance they have of keeping AFL ready Tasmanian juniors out of the AFL system. Port joining in 1997 had Wilson, Tredrea and Burgoyne sit out of the AFL for a year in 1996. Obviously then National Draft concessions and trading.

Honestly I think its going to be viewed as an exciting time in Tasmanian football circles and players will be clamouring to play for them. It will be far different from GC and GWS. This will be more like Port Adelaide and Fremantle entering the comp.

The new Tasmanian team was always going to be the Devils. No surprises there. I like the logo and basing the team out of Hobart.

Here is where the AFL perhaps should come up with a jumper mandate that all clubs should follow. It can't resemble the state jumper. I get the marketing by using the state jumper; 'a team for all Tasmanians' and trying to unite the North v South rivalry under the Tasmanian Devils banner. What better way than a state jumper. The question im not sure they asked themselves, will enough people buy it or will they just wear their own state jumper they already own?

On a side note: Whats the bet teams like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond have been approached already to play the first game. But then after that first year, whats the bet it becomes the travelling backwater for every team but the big Victorian clubs.
Absolutely without doubt this is 100% correct

Unlike GC and GWS I genuinely think the Tasmanian team will attract a lot of current Tasmanian AFL players. Which means they will likely be able to create a genuinely competitive side. Tasmania is an AFL state which means the players will be treated like rockstars.

As for their list.

This is how I imagine their list will be built.

2025-26
They will build a state side for the VFL which will help mentor the Tasmanian juniors they have access too from next year. Being 3 years out from AFL most AFL quality Juniors will opt to be drafted so it will really only be the undrafted juniors. Not to mention the ex AFL players chasing to reignite their dream. Watch for AFL players only signing contracts until 2027 during this time.

is the first chance they have of keeping AFL ready Tasmanian juniors out of the AFL system. Port joining in 1997 had Wilson, Tredrea and Burgoyne sit out of the AFL for a year in 1996. Obviously then National Draft concessions and trading.

Honestly I think its going to be viewed as an exciting time in Tasmanian football circles and players will be clamouring to play for them. It will be far different from GC and GWS. This will be more like Port Adelaide and Fremantle entering the comp.
Never forget that this was draft tampering and Port were eventually fined for this - although the AFL paid the fine and then completely buried the story.

I'm a traditionalist and subsctibe to the KISS theory, so I like the guernsey, name and colours for Tasmania.

I'm excited about a traditional football dtate finally getting a club after decades of effort, but from a selfish perspective I don't like the idea of yet another team competing. It's more competition for premierships, prime time slots, and players. When you divide a new team by the existing 18, it works out that every team will have one player getting a game every week who would otherwise not get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back