MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we can sit bottom of the ladder and watch our draftees run away to other clubs through trade and free agency. Make no mistake this is a disaster for our club.

Yep. This situation can't just be rationalized down to the relative value of Griffen vs. draft picks. 4+7 overs for Griffen? Probably. But really, this is about the captain walking out on the club. Out of the blue. That doesn't just happen unless something is wrong.

This is fundamentally about culture. The Bulldogs have got to make a decision what they stand for here.

Yep. This situation can't just be rationalized down to the relative value of Griffen vs. draft picks. 4+7 overs for Griffen? Probably. But really, this is about the captain walking out on the club. Out of the blue. That doesn't just happen unless something is wrong.

This is fundamentally about culture. The Bulldogs have got to make a decision what they stand for here.

There seems to be a certain type or breed of coach at the moment who have the effect of getting their core senior players offside and ultimately causing players to leave or the coach to be sacked - Neeld, McCartney, Watters, Sanderson, Buckley - all assistants from Geelong or Collingwood during their recent era of success I believe. Interesting that only Hinkley has succeeded from that group of assistants so far, and no one wanted him.... Irony thou art a heartless bitch.

There seems to be a certain type or breed of coach at the moment who have the effect of getting their core senior players offside and ultimately causing players to leave or the coach to be sacked - Neeld, McCartney, Watters, Sanderson, Buckley - all assistants from Geelong or Collingwood during their recent era of success I believe. Interesting that only Hinkley has succeeded from that group of assistants so far, and no one wanted him.... Irony thou art a heartless bitch.
It seems like they have all gone hard early at their clubs. We certainly know Neeld did that. I suppose they were trying to emulate the success of Malthouse and (sort of) Thompson in getting the players onboard with elite standards and commitment to the game plan and whatever else.

The mistake, I think, is that Malthouse and Bomber are both also good at connecting with the players. They have been able to bring those elite standards without pissing the players off because they have the respect and trust of the players. All these failed/failing coaches have gone fire and brimstone upfront without building that rapport first. See Moloney especially, but also the Watts comments, Green, Sylvia, Rivers etc etc.

Of course, blokes like Neeld and Watters had plenty more than one issue... Otherwise they would still be coaching.

Sacking or forcing the resignation of McCartney would be a weak decision, showing a player is above the club.

Except its Minson, Cooney, Higgins, Griffen etc

Horrible time to be looking for a new coach and I would still trade Griffen out to send a message

I bet Sydney were about to make a play at Ryan Griffen, If its being reported he was going to take a paycut to head to the Giants then he would definitely take a pay cut to head to the swans

Would have been hilarious

If the Dogs think they'll get Bomber they could be kidding themselves, Thompson stated he would go nowhere near Adelaide after the way they treated his mate Sando - will he go near the Dogs after the way they seem to be treating McCartney?

If the Dogs think they'll get Bomber they could be kidding themselves, Thompson stated he would go nowhere near Adelaide after the way they treated his mate Sando - will he go near the Dogs after the way they seem to be treating McCartney?

No, Just like adelaide they are gonna end up going backwards with an untried coach

I cant believe clubs are still passing on Brett Ratten, the man has engineered the Hawks mids working under the best coach of the modern era with Leigh Matthews

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just thinking the same... Seems unlikely, don't put it past him though given his statements at the Essendon BnF last week. Shady character.

It's interesting, no McCartney at the press conference seems to go both ways.... him not being there could seem a bad sign, but surely if he was being sacked they would let him speak for a final time?

Could well be the media jumping the gun early, like Caro did re. Hird being sacked last week.

My money is on McCartney staying on (edit: my money is look shaky atm).

Most media outlets seem to be running with it... Press conference soon doesn't bode well.

EVERY media outlet running with it

Would be a disaster if he was sacked, their core group of young midfielders have developed as well as anyones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back