Oppo Camp Non Eagles Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying there is no situation where blackface is not racist, just not in this situation. But there is a growing trend of middle class white people getting offended about all sorts of things on others behalves.
I agree, but people dismissing others opinions that they disagree with as political correctness is just as annoying. Too many times I find myself shaking my head at both sides of the argument

I agree, but people dismissing others opinions that they disagree with as political correctness is just as annoying. Too many times I find myself shaking my head at both sides of the argument
Until I see a bunch of Fijians (or even one) come out and say this was offensive to them then that's all this is imo

Nope. Just posted this in reply on that site by the way.

"Getting offended on the behalf of other people, ain't the internet great? Funny thing is that this kid would have no idea that this is racist however the pc morons (like the one who published this article) have made the poor fella aware of this. Please seek Nic's opinion on this matter. If he is offended then fine. If he isn't then please refrain from sharing your opinion on a public forum in future."

Anyone agree/disagree? Something that really pisses me off is something like this. People WANT to see racist things in what other people do even if it's not their intent. Funny thing is that I have red hair. Apparently it's ok to make disparaging remarks about that but not ok to dress your kid up as their footy idol, even though he has NFI what racism is because he's too young.

God help society.

I don't think there's much wrong here with what happened. The colour of one's skin shouldn't be a sensitive issue in itself. It's about the intent of the act.

That being said I don't think it was necessary for the costume to work despite what she says, dreadlocks would've been sufficient.

But hey who cares this does not affect me one bit so I'm going to keep living my life.

Until I see a bunch of Fijians (or even one) come out and say this was offensive to them then that's all this is imo
Pretty clear:

AFL star Nic Naitanui says Perth child's blackface tribute 'hurts my heart'

Blerg, blerg, blerg, blerg

"Getting offended on the behalf of other people" is merely the practice of upholding community values. Australian society as a whole is becoming more progressive than that you may have become accustomed to way back when. Racism is not something to be tolerated, and appreciating sensitivities of other members of the community isn't an overwhelming burden (i.e. it's as simple as "hey, let's not paint our faces black").

You may disagree, but it you reflect on your position you find that the world has passed you by. In that case you should be praying that god saves you, rather than society.

"Getting offended on the behalf of other people" is merely the practice of upholding community values. Australian society as a whole is becoming more progressive than that you may have become accustomed to way back when. Racism is not something to be tolerated, and appreciating sensitivities of other members of the community isn't an overwhelming burden (i.e. it's as simple as "hey, let's not paint our faces black").

You may disagree, but it you reflect on your position you find that the world has passed you by. In that case you should be praying that god saves you, rather than society.

Wow, you know all the buzz words.

I bet there would've been an outcry if he didn't paint his face. No doubt in my mind.

PC folk can * off forever.

As one Perth Thread poster said, should've wrote 'Such is Life' on his stomach and handed him a fake crack pipe.

I thought Nic said it very well:

CqvEQAVUkAEMs9e.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naita's message reads like he is sad for the backlash against the kid and his mum as much as anything and that a kid dressing up has these racial implications.

The mother should have known she was just going to embroil her family in a steaming pile of shite and acted accordingly.

But what do I know...I laugh at Monty Python sketches where they dress up as women. I'm clearly a misogynist oppressor who must be watched closely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back