Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a reasonable football action to do your best to smother a ball being cleared out of the middle toward d50? I think some of you have been brainwashed by years of terrible suspensions and media grand standing. It's a contact sport and there is only so much you can do to prevent collisions, maynard is within his rights to protect himself after attempting a fair smother. The contact didn't appear to be that extreme and I think Brayshaw's concussion history probably was what resulted in it being so severe. It isn't every other player on the grounds responsibility to give Brayshaw a free pass because he chooses to play after several concussions which require him to wear a helmet. Brayshaw also could have kicked earlier than he did but chose to get as close to maynard as possible to get a deeper i50, and half of the impact of the collision was due to him sprinting towards maynard.

To me it's no different than a bump after someone has kicked the footy. I'm pretty sure that anyone choosing to bump a player kicking the footy is doing so attempting to affect the kick by initially thinking they can smother/tackle the kicker etc. But they are required to decelerate and make a decision all be it a split second one.
This idea that you can charge at the player with the ball hoping to affect the disposal and there will be no consequences for what ever happens isn't a viable one.

I've repeated myself ad nauseum now (thanks for the laugh react btw) so maybe The Dodger's post helps reinforce the position.

Smothers aren't going to be outlawed but like it or not players now have a duty of care especially with regards to unnecessary contact that happens to knock someone out. I doubt it would even be looked at if Maynard was more careful in attempting the smother - downfield free kick, and that's the end of the matter. But he didn't, so it isn't.

You can kick, tackle, smother and bump and all sorts of things, but if it is not deemed a reasonable football action and the victim ends up with a concussion you may get punished.

Did maynard bump?

i thought he braced for contact.

there should also be an onus on the player to protect themselves. IMO brayshaw should have been expecting some form of contact.

i guess we cant even smother now.
You can smother. You just can't jump into a bloke's head to do so.

I think it’ll eventually get to a point where if your feet leave the ground and you make contact with your opponents head then you’ll miss games

The exceptions to this will be marking and ruck contests plus those instances where two players are contesting possession for a ball that’s in the air

I don’t particularly like it but it’s where things are understandably heading to minimise the risk of concussion

Yes but those are actions that are directly going at the man.

If we take the logic that anything you do on the field that results in a concussion means a player gets suspended, then anytime there's a head knock in a marking contest, the player is culpable and will miss games.
But flying for a mark isn’t quite the same because everyone is contesting the ball the same way. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone attempt a smother so recklessly and then, on top of that, make no attempt to lessen the force on the way down.

A marking contest is a 50/50 between all players so you can get away with no one being at fault. This incident someone already had possession of the ball so the challenging player is the one with the duty of care to make sure he contests the ball safely.

Where do we draw the line then.

Howe knees a player in the head going for a mark, and said player gets concussed.

Should howe get banned for 3 weeks?
in that, Both players are contesting a Neutral ball. No one is saying in that scenario should players be banned.
In scenarios where one player has the ball and the other does not is where the duty of care would come into play.

It's currently reportable and an expected ban if you run at a player full pace and try to bump and collect them high, same for trying to sheppard and get them high, If you go to tackle and knock them out your getting weeks. All of these are where a player already has possesion and where the football act transgresses into being reckless and a ban-able offence.

Yes he tried to smother which is a footballing act but he chose to do so recklessly and caused severe injury.
The fact it's a football act doesn't matter, the fact he didn't mean to cause injury (which is doubtful by turning the shoulder) doesn't matter.

He should get 3 weeks.

I feel for Brayshaw obviously but also his mother, I remember after Gaff's hit on Andy there was a story about how the mother was an emotional wreck after Angus' first concussion(?) so I hope she's dealing with this week as best she can as well.

If this was during the season it would be a 3 weeker and no one would really cause a fuss about it, but Maynard might miss out on a flag so I imagine that will be what gets him off the hook, which I dont agree with but its how I imagine it will play out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary spent the first 20 minutes of OTC crying about the Melbourne loss and having a depressant about how f*cked they are against Carlton lmao

I can see the day when this very situation arises

The times they are a changin. Legals will win in the end.

Unfortunately for us, it has to.

The AFL's greatest fear - rightly or wrongly - is being slapped with an NFL-style class action lawsuit from players with CTE. We are already seeing the first steps of legal action from ex-players and that will only increase in coming years.

Gary spent the first 20 minutes of OTC crying about the Melbourne loss and having a depressant about how f*cked they are against Carlton lmao
Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back