Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to see Ward leading the 'Who is most important' poll for GWS on the AFL website. I'd say Cameron is easily more important, especially when taking into account the addition of Griffen.
Hmm. Ward's a gun mid, his clearance work is excellent.

Treloar, Griffen, Coniglio, Shiel, Scully, Smith, Whitfield, Kelly and Greene is still a potent midfield. Without Cameron, the Giants KPF stocks aren't good at all(at least for this season).
This season maybe, but Tomlinson, Patton and Stewart have all showed good signs. FWIW I think Davis is their most important player, he's a gun KPD and the rest are either poor (Mohr) or more 3rd talls (Haynes, Marchbank, Plowman).

Peter Matera's son Jordan has quit Brighton Grammar to focus on footy with the Sandy Dragons. Jeeze you'd want footy to work out for you now, wouldn't you?
So he's not going to school at all?

Horrible move.

This season maybe, but Tomlinson, Patton and Stewart have all showed good signs. FWIW I think Davis is their most important player, he's a gun KPD and the rest are either poor (Mohr) or more 3rd talls (Haynes, Marchbank, Plowman).
Patfull is also a very good KPD, Cameron is definitely their most important player IMO.

Peter Matera's son Jordan has quit Brighton Grammar to focus on footy with the Sandy Dragons. Jeeze you'd want footy to work out for you now, wouldn't you?
If he's half as good as his old man he won't need school.

Patfull is also a very good KPD, Cameron is definitely their most important player IMO.
Patfull is one of those 3rd talls nowadays. Struggled against KPF's this season at Brisbane.

(Port Power) Matthew Broadbent - Another lesser name amongst the higher profile Power midfielders, Broadbent has shown he can play a powerful running defender.wingman to a high level. Kicks well and takes the game on.

I know that he's experienced and a gun but Ryder is the one at Port. I'd go as far as saying that he is their most important player. If he puts together a year as a forward (that he looked to have developed into this year) they'll have the third key forward they currently lack.

I know that he's experienced and a gun but Ryder is the one at Port. I'd go as far as saying that he is their most important player. If he puts together a year as a forward (that he looked to have developed into this year) they'll have the third key forward they currently lack.
Their defence will be a whole lot more stable as well with Trengove not needed in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to go back to the original quote on topic here BrunoV

Been thinking a bit recently about the players that completely change the dimension of a football side if they "break out". Similar to haw Trav Colyer changed the dimensions of our side in 2014. Who from each football club is that man?

Now we all know that Paddy is a gun, like an out and out gun of the comp. Hard to suggest he will "break out" as he is already there IMHO. Not the most important player comparison like so many pre season threads oft suggest.

Davis is a 'gun' KPD? I'd be interested in your definition of gun. I agree, he's important to GWS but I'd reckon there'd be a fair few KPD in front of Davis if you had a chance to pick your dream team.

Davis is a 'gun' KPD? I'd be interested in your definition of gun. I agree, he's important to GWS but I'd reckon there'd be a fair few KPD in front of Davis if you had a chance to pick your dream team.
Maybe a bit overstated but their record last year with and without Davis:

With: 5 wins, 6 losses, 86%
Without: 1 win, 10 losses, 68%

Davis would play in pretty much every defence in the league (except maybe Port), he, like Alipate Carlile and Daniel Merrett are very underrated key defenders.

Michael Walters is the one for me in terms of Fremantle. His importance in 2013 clearly showed when he could barely get out of the park for last year. Unfortunately for the Dockers despite heading back to his usual good form going into finals the rest of their injuries stopped whatever chances they had. Chris Mayne can be good, but Walters is a lot better.

Apeness and Tabener are the ones at Freo.

That young KPD who was an emergency late in the year too.

The most important thing for them at this stage is to replenish the KPP stocks.

The new father-son/academy bidding systems has been announced:
KEY POINTS

— AFL proposes points discounts of 25 per cent for academy players and either 15 or 25 per cent for father-son picks.

— Clubs can go into points debt if all picks are cashed in, but debt must be paid before next season’s trade period.

— Father-son and academy bidding will be live on draft night with a rolling updated order

— Points system calculated on average player salaries from 2000-2014

— The system developed with consultation from the Player Movement Advisory Group and incorporates research from some American sports including the NFL

CLUBS will be forced to pay what the AFL says is a fairer price for father-son and academy players under proposed radical changes.

Sydney is the first club set to be stung. The Swans have access to Josh Dunkley (son of former star Andrew) and academy gun Callum Mills (rated a possible No. 1 pick) and could need to cash in a multitude of picks — possibly over two seasons — to secure the pair.

Bidding would shift from the start of trade period to live on draft night under the scheme tabled to clubs late on Tuesday.

The Moneyball-style concept allocates draft picks a declining points value, with No. 1 worth 3000 points.

The AFL created the points system using player salaries from the past 15 years.

Discounts will be applied to ensure the father-son tradition remains and to provide incentive for the four northern clubs to run their talent academies.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...on-academy-stars/story-fni5f22o-1227198697857

An example of how it would have worked with Heeney:
— Melbourne bids pick No. 2 (worth 2517 points) for Swans academy member Heeney.

— Sydney matches the bid and lands player, but “owes” 1888 points (2517 points, discounted by 25 per cent) to the draft.

— Points are matched to Sydney’s original first pick, No. 18 (985 points), and that pick is moved to the back of the draft. The Swans still owe 903 points.

— Remaining points are matched to Sydney’s next pick, No. 37 (483 points) and that pick is moved to the back of the draft. The Swans still owe 420 points.

— Remaining points are matched to Sydney’s next pick, No. 38 (465 points). The 45 leftover points entitles Sydney to “buy” pick No. 70 rather than go to the back of the line.

— Sydney would have effectively sold picks 18, 37 and 38 for 2 (Heeney), 70, 88 and 89.

And the AFL reference document: http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/biddingsystemfeedback.pdf

I am actually legitimately impressed. It seems well thought out and consistent, the discounts provide an incentive/benefit beyond simply first-refusal (and indeed leave the occasional club better off if the bid is very close to their next pick), and the "debt" concept solves the problem of being able to trade picks out prior to bidding.

Last edited:
Any points you still "owe" get taken off your picks the next year, before the trade/draft period begins. Conceivably you could wipe out an entire draft ahead of time, but that would leave you forced to make the mandatory three picks in the 70s.

As an example of how it would have worked for Essendon (and there are a couple more good ones, along with the pick value chart, in the AFL document I linked), Joe Daniher:

• Port bid pick 7, meaning Essendon need to match a value 1644 points.
  • With a 25% discount that becomes 1233 points, so pick 10 (1395) covers it with a little change, upgrading the Gregory pick (#88) to 60 or so.
  • With a 15% discount it becomes 1397 points, meaning Essendon are short just a nudge, pushing the Kommer pick (73) back one.

Last edited:
Don't like it, I like how a son of a former player can go to the club that their father played for relatively cheaply in some circumstances. It all even outs in the end as what comes around goes around. Now clubs might not pick up the kid because his cost might be too high, which is unfair on the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back