Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just looking something up about the 2018 draft and something really stood out to me. Ignoring Tarryn Thomas who was a failure for off field issues, there are only 3 picks in the top 16 that I would say look like failures.

All 3 are at or were delisted by the crows

I was just looking something up about the 2018 draft and something really stood out to me. Ignoring Tarryn Thomas who was a failure for off field issues, there are only 3 picks in the top 16 that I would say look like failures.

All 3 are at or were delisted by the crows
We did even worse from that draft. 6 picks and not one of those players stayed on our list more than a couple of seasons I think.

We did even worse from that draft. 6 picks and not one of those players stayed on our list more than a couple of seasons I think.

The top end of that draft was unreal but the back end was very thin.

Jordan Clark was the right pick on talent and we got some value for him (Knevitt or Conway) so given he didn't fit at the club we did alright out of that. We could've got someone like Bobby Hill or James Rowbottom but we didn't miss any stars and we avoided some failures around there.

The rest of the picks were from the junk part of that draft but we got Atkins in the rookie draft which has been a massive win.

So given the options on the table we actually did ok.

I would argue we did much better.

Our only pick inside 47 is playing very good footy, just elsewhere. After 47 there's only 3 players I would say are notable from 31 picks and we bid on one of them.

We got more from the rookie draft than Adelaide got in the first round.

The top end of that draft was unreal but the back end was very thin.

Jordan Clark was the right pick on talent and we got some value for him (Knevitt or Conway) so given he didn't fit at the club we did alright out of that. We could've got someone like Bobby Hill or James Rowbottom but we didn't miss any stars and we avoided some failures around there.

The rest of the picks were from the junk part of that draft but we got Atkins in the rookie draft which has been a massive win.

So given the options on the table we actually did ok.
The only miss we had was Connor Idun in the back end, but so did 16 other teams

I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I have no idea who Jacob Kennerley is. We drafted him at pick 50 in the 2018 draft.
Skinny winger? Never really got going. Had a bit of rub in the legs but was never going anywhere. Think he's playing sanfl with Jarvis

Edit: just checked and Kennerley is captain at Norwood and Jarvis left to go back to Port Lincoln

Everytime I think about homophobia in the AFL I think about catman. All he wanted to do is dress up and support the club his dad played for and because he's gay he copped enough abuse to make him quit. It's just sad and demoralising to think he was bullied out of doing something he loved because of bigotry.

Everytime I think about homophobia in the AFL I think about catman. All he wanted to do is dress up and support the club his dad played for and because he's gay he copped enough abuse to make him quit. It's just sad and demoralising to think he was bullied out of doing something he loved because of bigotry.
Yep- lots of progress has been made but when a current footballer can still come out with a slur like that, well- still a way to go. It’s pretty ordinary.

Seems like an easy round to tip this week and dees are playing very well and brissy not so well, but maybe brissy regroup for this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let it go mate. I'm not saying he shouldn't have got a penalty, just that 3 weeks is excessive. How you've started this big rant about it all is beyond me. Wound up a bit tight I think.

I think 1 week would have been right, sent a message not to do it. 3 weeks is what you give players who commit actual injury, like knocking someone out.

Peace.
I always find it humorous when someone tells another to “let it go” and then insists on having the last word.

Look through our back and forth objectively, and tell me who is wound up tight.

Or you could let it go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back