Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

They said in the members Q&A we will be selecting Lynch in the rookie draft.
You would assume with our last pick. Or second last and take Polec with the last.
We have 6 open slots over all drafts.
That's true. But we will be able to take 7 live picks to the ND, even if we will only use 5, or maybe 6.

Don't think it will be zero points - they'll need something and after the Daics and Darcy Bids, your late picks might be all that they need.
It is unlikely, however Owens could be bid on in the top 20 and Windhager late enough to not need points to match

That's true. But we will be able to take 7 live picks to the ND, even if we will only use 5, or maybe 6.
6 tops mate.
List was 43 and needs to drop to 42. Due to us taking Ham in the MSD for someone on the LTI list.
1635556558243.png
Thats 9 out. which become 8 possible ins with the drop in list size.
CCJ + Lynch in = 6 open slots open over whichever drafts + SSP's
The only way we have 7 picks is if someone takes Polec of us. Which seems unlikely.

Last edited:

6 tops mate.
List was 43 and needs to drop to 42. Due to us taking Ham in the MSD for someone on the LTI list.
View attachment 1270828
Thats 9 out. which become 8 possible ins with the drop in list size.
CCJ + Lynch in = 6 open slots open over whichever drafts + SSP's
The only way we have 7 picks is if someone takes Polec of us. Which seems unlikely.
We are talking about different things. I am talking about how many live picks we can take to the draft. You are talking about how many players we will be able to take with those picks.

Aren’t max list sizes still 44?
Yes, but that includes 2 Cat B rookies.

Removing them, the total list size must be minimum 37, maximum 42. The main list size can be minimum 36, maximum 38. (Hence, Cat A rookie list can be between 0 to a maximum of 6.

Isn’t the max number of ND picks you can take to the draft equal to the spare senior list spots?
Yes, hence why delisting contracted players with a plan to reselect them in the rookie draft can maximise the number of main list selections. That's more useful to those clubs who have academy or father/son picks likely to be selected early, so they can use more picks with points to match.

Club List Sizes

Clubs are restricted to the following list compositions, for a maximum of 44 listed players:

Primary List SizeCategory A RookiesCategory B RookiesTotal Rookies MaximumTOTAL
36 (Minimum)1-60-28 (Maximum)44
370-50-2744
38 (Maximum)0-40-26 (Minimum)44
Source: Appendix 1 (p. 186) Australian Football League Rules

Yes, but that includes 2 Cat B rookies.

Removing them, the total list size must be minimum 37, maximum 42. The main list size can be minimum 36, maximum 38. (Hence, Cat A rookie list can be between 0 to a maximum of 6.

Yes, hence why delisting contracted players with a plan to reselect them in the rookie draft can maximise the number of main list selections. That's more useful to those clubs who have academy or father/son picks likely to be selected early, so they can use more picks with points to match.

Yeah I thought so. Just wasn’t sure why people were saying it had dropped to 42.

Isn’t the max number of ND picks you can take to the draft equal to the spare senior list spots?
It is. We have seven free primary list spots so we can take that many picks to the draft. We wont be using them all though as we already have three rookies and will take Polec and Lynch in the Rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still get to take a sixth pick (77) into the draft. I don't think we will take six players (including Archer) at the draft. More likely, we just want to keep our options open in case someone we rate slides. We may also have a cunning plan of trading it and 72 with a team needing points to match a bid.

Splitting 20 perhaps?

Splitting 20 perhaps?
I hope we don't split 20. It seems to be in great spot for this draft. But who knows? We seem to have gone from the most transparent to the most opaque team when it comes to recruiting and draft selections.

I hope we don't split 20. It seems to be in great spot for this draft. But who knows? We seem to have gone from the most transparent to the most opaque team when it comes to recruiting and draft selections.
Agree 20 is an extremely strong pick in the draft an area id like us to trade up to

6 of the 8 previous picks currently sit with Non Vic sides, only takes one victorian ranked generally around the 10-15 mark to slip through who doesn't want to leave the state which id say is more common now with whats occurred the past 20 months

Wonder if North will be more tactical this year in draft.

Daicos goes 1 and Darcy goes 2 then the two 40s picks for North may start moving in a fair bit.

EDIT: Daicos going 1 would wipe the entire hand of Collingwood and even brings in 72.

Daicos goes 1 and Darcy goes 2 then the two 40s picks for North may start moving in a fair bit.

EDIT: Daicos going 1 would wipe the entire hand of Collingwood and even brings in 72.

My understanding from the North Bf board is that if Daicos gets bid on in the top 3 & Darcy in the top 5, our picks in the 40’s will come forward as far as they can.

We don’t need to bid on them at 1 & 2 to get the benefit.

My understanding from the North Bf board is that if Daicos gets bid on in the top 3 & Darcy in the top 5, our picks in the 40’s will come forward as far as they can.

We don’t need to bid on them at 1 & 2 to get the benefit.
That is true for your picks in the 40s, as obviously 47 is sitting behind a raft of Pies & Dogs picks.

mpal6's point, though, was that the earlier bids on both players would also bring in your pick #72, by 9 picks. Given Polec's temporary delisting brings that pick into seemingly live use, it would be better value for Norths by wiping out as many of the Pies & Dogs picks as possible. I suspect a couple of teams will pass with their 50s/60s picks, so it could come right into the late 50s.

Having said that, I agree with you in believing that Norths with select JHF at #1, leaving whoever picks with #2 to bid (everyone presumes), and that will still provide pretty reasonable benefit to Norths' two 40s picks coming earlier.

That is true for your picks in the 40s, as obviously 47 is sitting behind a raft of Pies & Dogs picks.

mpal6's point, though, was that the earlier bids on both players would also bring in your pick #72, by 9 picks. Given Polec's temporary delisting brings that pick into seemingly live use, it would be better value for Norths by wiping out as many of the Pies & Dogs picks as possible. I suspect a couple of teams will pass with their 50s/60s picks, so it could come right into the late 50s.

Having said that, I agree with you in believing that Norths with select JHF at #1, leaving whoever picks with #2 to bid (everyone presumes), and that will still provide pretty reasonable benefit to Norths' two 40s picks coming earlier.
also don’t think we care about that final pick 72 as it will just be used on archer regardless of where it moves to

also don’t think we care about that final pick 72 as it will just be used on archer regardless of where it moves to
The discussion in here the other day was that with Polec's delisting, pick #77 comes live and would be used for Archer; #72 could be used for a live pick or (more likely, according to Norths posters) a trade. An earlier pick gets more trade value for you, if that's what you do with it.

Regardless, I still expect Norths to take JHF at #1. I think this is purely a theoretical discussion.

The discussion in here the other day was that with Polec's delisting, pick #77 comes live and would be used for Archer; #72 could be used for a live pick or (more likely, according to Norths posters) a trade. An earlier pick gets more trade value for you, if that's what you do with it.

Regardless, I still expect Norths to take JHF at #1. I think this is purely a theoretical discussion.
To that discussion I expect us to use rookie pick 1 instead of that late ND pick

our other last 2 rookie spots will be lynch and Polec To go along with Edwards, Walker and hayden

giving us 36-6 senior to rookie list split

instead of going 37-5

I think the pies have more than enough picks now to cover daicos.
We'll be taking JHF with pick 1. First time the club has ever had it and they said we're not bidding.
Doesn't affect our later picks much either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back