ODI Squad against Pakistan

Remove this Banner Ad

Would've preferred to open with khawaja and not play maxwell hes done nothing to earn his spot back
Somehow skipped my mind that Usman missed out. Yeah, he really ought to be opening. Should be Head or Maxwell, not both.

Somehow skipped my mind that Usman missed out. Yeah, he really ought to be opening. Should be Head or Maxwell, not both.
I agree, but it might suggest that they are looking at certain players with India in mind, Ussie is no doubt to tour.

Maxwell playing over Khawaja because he was in the squad before.
They always do that, don't want other jumping the line but in common sense Khawajas probably third best bat in land

Head has done very very well for South Australia opening the batting.

Sure this move has more risk attached than picking Khawaja but the upside is as great as picking Lynn IMO. Khawaja was the safe option but at times can't score overly quickly. The idea of Head at the top is to not lose any of the firepower of Finch but not have a guy who's a walking wicket when there's any movement (given the next World Cup is in England this is a huge problem). I quite like the idea in theory, it'll be interesting to see how it works in reality.

To add to that I think most of us recognise this is a close to meaningless ODI series. Now would be the time to trial stuff.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would've preferred to open with khawaja and not play maxwell hes done nothing to earn his spot back
My post was in regards to the selected 11, nit including a player not playing for whatever management reasons be it giving him a rest or just looking at other players

Thought about it some more and realise that this is a great move. If it works that is. Head opening allows us to play Maxwell who can win us a game and provide another option with the ball. Plus the next World Cup is in England where Head has scored a double hundred (or 150, can't remember) in the county 50 over game. Gives us heaps of options with the ball with our best team: Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Marsh, Maxwell, Faulkner, Head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scary looking lineup although Maxwell opening would make the lower order a bit more stable if Head was at 5 as he's done previously. None the less look forward to seeing how it goes

Performance in sport is often not gradual. Whilst I recognise the need to earn a spot, here's not always a neat, linear stat sheet that always ticks each and every box. Sometimes you have to go with gut feel; I hope this is the case with Cummins.

Mark Waugh went with gut instinct when selecting Nic Maddinson

Look how well that worked out

Don't need Maxwell and Head. Drop one for a batsman.

Don't need Mitch Marsh and Faulkner. Drop one for a batsman.

If I was Khawaja, Finch or Bailey I'd be dirty with that team.
You don't think having plenty of bowling options is a good thing?

Don't need Maxwell and Head. Drop one for a batsman.

Don't need Mitch Marsh and Faulkner. Drop one for a batsman.

If I was Khawaja, Finch or Bailey I'd be dirty with that team.
Khawaja is unlucky. But Finch has been terrible for a while, Head is an upgrade imo. Bailey has decent numbers but they have been inflated by his purple patch in India a few years ago. Hasn't been very consistent lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back