Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

10 contested possessions (more than 17 of our players in the 2014 GF)
6 one percenters (more than 21 of our players in the 2014 GF)

Not an amazing game, but ahead of what pretty much everyone dished up last year. And I picked those 2 stats because they suggest he actually gave a s**t.

Does it get tiring being you?

Interesting j lewis on 360 talking about how teams lift when not expected to win and how motivating it is, bloody media jumping on us for the grand final came straight to mind
Yep... to be honest I never felt that we should have been "favourites" for the flag last year. Certainly didn't sit comfortably with me.

Yep... to be honest I never felt that we should have been "favourites" for the flag last year. Certainly didn't sit comfortably with me.

Didnt sit comfortably with the hawks it seems

Didnt sit comfortably with the hawks it seems
Nothing is comfortable with that mob. Surprised they aren't bitching on the Gold Coast board at how they are entitled to Ablett

I went to the Hawks v Cats game & sat up the top level of the AFL members stand.

The Hawks play precise footy with kicking to their team mates that hardly involves a contested situation. This means they have far, far less contact & collisions with their opponents meaning they exert far less energy than their opposition, allowing them to have these sudden devastating bursts of heavy scoring. In turn this throws the opposition off their plans early in the game.

Clarko must enforce that if you can't hit a team mate with a disposal, then you don't play senior footy at the Hawks as you are a danger to your team mates. I have no doubt that he will only play players that have a high disposal efficiency rate.

Calling it bruise free footy is a little offensive to the Hawks, but it pretty much is where they protect their key older players from heavy contests.
But make no mistake, they are very physical when they want to be but that is left up to a couple of the hard nuts like Hodge & Lewis.
They all have much lighter frames so as to conserve energy throughout the course of a game. Even 'big' Ben McEvoy looks a much more slender version to the one that took the field for the Saints. They keep running. The Cats were stuffed having to go back & forward at every turnover.

Take Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne, Mitchell & Roughead out of that Hawks team over the last 4 years, then the Hawks' resume would look somewhat different to the impressive one it is right now.
These players are the class that has made their team mates look even better than they actually are in the Hawks system.

At this point in time, our best is 5 to 6 goals off the Hawks.

Just my observation after watching them live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the Hawks v Cats game & sat up the top level of the AFL members stand.

The Hawks play precise footy with kicking to their team mates that hardly involves a contested situation. This means they have far, far less contact & collisions with their opponents meaning they exert far less energy than their opposition, allowing them to have these sudden devastating bursts of heavy scoring. In turn this throws the opposition off their plans early in the game.

Clarko must enforce that if you can't hit a team mate with a disposal, then you don't play senior footy at the Hawks as you are a danger to your team mates. I have no doubt that he will only play players that have a high disposal efficiency rate.

Calling it bruise free footy is a little offensive to the Hawks, but it pretty much is where they protect their key older players from heavy contests.
But make no mistake, they are very physical when they want to be but that is left up to a couple of the hard nuts like Hodge & Lewis.
They all have much lighter frames so as to conserve energy throughout the course of a game. Even 'big' Ben McEvoy looks a much more slender version to the one that took the field for the Saints. They keep running. The Cats were stuffed having to go back & forward at every turnover.

Take Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne, Mitchell & Roughead out of that Hawks team over the last 4 years, then the Hawks' resume would look somewhat different to the impressive one it is right now.
These players are the class that has made their team mates look even better than they actually are in the Hawks system.

At this point in time, our best is 5 to 6 goals off the Hawks.

Just my observation after watching them live.

For perhaps a glimpse into how future encounters may go back to the round 8 game of 2014 at ANZ where they didn't have Hodge, Mitchell, Lake for the whole game.

That was a 10 goal win on paper to us except the fact that Buddy kicked 1.7 we absolutely dominated them they aren't going to be up forever once those are gone.

Where as our oldest mid is Josh Kennedy who is 26, Langford is quality for them he has stepped up considerably but its really hard to replace champions like Hodge, Mitchell.

That is true. I wonder how Hawthorn manage to meet the minimum requirements for the salary cap

Dunno

Perhaps lewis makes a few bucks from fox footy and Hodge gets money as an ambassador

But surely not

For perhaps a glimpse into how future encounters may go back to the round 8 game of 2014 at ANZ where they didn't have Hodge, Mitchell, Lake for the whole game.

That was a 10 goal win on paper to us except the fact that Buddy kicked 1.7 we absolutely dominated them they aren't going to be up forever once those are gone.

Where as our oldest mid is Josh Kennedy who is 26, Langford is quality for them he has stepped up considerably but its really hard to replace champions like Hodge, Mitchell.

Hence why Clarko has gone with such a precise & efficient game plan so as to preserve the careers of the above mentioned class players, knowing full well that they are the reason why they have won their recent p'ships & perhaps any near future p'ships.
It's a brilliant philosophy & it has reaped the rewards thus far.

Perhaps why we are persisting with Goodes as he is the one class player we have that could produce anything to take us to the ultimate on the big day.
Refer to 2012.

I won't write off Goodes yet as those conditions were never going to help him but we do need a little more of an output from him should he continue to be picked as starting 21. Otherwise he needs to finish off his career as the permanent sub, allowing such fit players as a Lloyd to play out the whole match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back